Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
That only works if the dungeon your in isn't packed full of players (KC). That's the main reason players sat at a camp. When KC wasn't at maximum capicity, our group would work our way from the door, through the courtyards, up the stairs (or down to the basement), and hit the hand room etc... Also keep in mind the reason for camping is waiting for that boss mob to drop a specific drop. Sometimes it took hours but it was worth the wait.
Yeah, I just don't like that system. The game is more about loot than any other factor. Much like WoW is all about loot. Advancement is all about loot and that eventually leads to massive item creep. You sit in one spot doing nothing for hours just for a piece if gear. Hoping for better from Brad this time.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I honestly don't think Smed has the money to buy or fund a game. By all accounts Smedley is a nepotistic bastard and likes to hire and keep "his friends" one reason I think he's a terrible CEO for SOE - but he fired a bunch of his friends in the RIF, including Brad. That means (a) his budget was drastically cut by his boss or (b) revenues from his games was terrible last year or (c) both.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't have SOE/Sony's finance in front of me (beyond their filings) - but the fact that Smedley would fire his friends suggests money issues.
I don't think they have it backed now.. I just haven't ruled out that happening down the line. As long as Brad dictates the terms I listed before i don't really care if they did. We want this game to be awesome and when it's awesome there will be someone looking to add money and get in on it... I guess I'm just prepared for that possibility.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Hi Utnayan, good to see you.

SOE does NOT have this backed. They're putting everything they have into Landmark/EQN.

I understand why you don't want to 'pre-pay' and want to wait for the final game and then purchase. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way. That said, I think the world is changing here. People now have a chance to help make something that would be too niche for a publisher or developer to touch, at least initially. Speaking as a gamer, that sounds great to me. Even speaking just as a fan of games, music, etc. For example, if my favorite band (an obscure progressive metal band called Fates Warning) went on Kickstarter and raised money to make an album in the style they used to play in, I would pledge like crazy. But that's just me.
Off topic : I saw Fates Warning years ago open for my favorite band... they were solid.

I agree with the others about Reddit. The amount of traffic Reddit gets is huge. Do a IAMA.. or post on one tof the mmorpg sections and answer peoples questions about the game.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
I don't think they have it backed now.. I just haven't ruled out that happening down the line. As long as Brad dictates the terms I listed before i don't really care if they did. We want this game to be awesome and when it's awesome there will be someone looking to add money and get in on it... I guess I'm just prepared for that possibility.
Thats fair. There are some unknowns at this point, most of them depending on how well we do with all of this. Ok, heading to other sites now. BBL.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
BTW Brad , why not just contact the folks at Ever,Jane , and tell them to pump their money into your game. Let them have a zone for Ever,Jane hosted in game as she wants it to be with tea parties and gossip. We can then have our Shadowknight Trolls show up to banter with the local populace.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thats fair. There are some unknowns at this point, most of them depending on how well we do with all of this. Ok, heading to other sites now. BBL.
I totally understand that.. The goal is to make a game. Let's hope this KS gives you all the bargaining power you may need. We need you with a full bar of mana when this is done=P

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont mind. even if it all does not work out, I threw my money out plenty of times on shitty games that were funded the old fashioned way. So I really dont see a difference. I hope it works out, if it does not, then so be it. I will come knocking on Bradleys door!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Mounts are fine, I want a huge diversity of mounts. As with everything, dont look at how WoW did it. If you break it down to pure mechanics, mounts are Jboots. You like Jboots right? So let them add Jboots that look cool, appropriate effort required, and it's all good. I think taking a ton of effort to revolutionize mounts is not the way to go here.
Mounts are not Jboots. Jboots were significantly slower than other movement enhancers within the game. And I didn't like Jboots, no. I thought they were boring and tedious, and could have been vastly more interesting had they been an actual system to compliment the rest of the game--rather than an advanced stop gap for the lack of movement speed options between launch and AA's.

If you're going to set the world up so that travel is an integral part of the experience? Then jboots, or mechanics that mimic them, seem kind of lazy and obtuse. You don't really want people just toovercomethe size of the world permanently (Like, you've done X quest, now the world is 20% smaller!)--you want them to be able to make work needed in crossing of the world fungible, so each crossing has to be planned (Or paid for) and gives a sense of the scope of the world. If you're going to set the world up so travel is just something to be overcome (Permanently) with time and effort? Then absolutely, add some Jboots or click mounts. There's a difference there, it's pretty subtle, but it's there.

Given how Brad mentioned localized arbitrage effects due to long and intricate travel? I'm thinking travel is more akin to the intergral part of the experience.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
In the End a little hope is better then none at all. I remember i used to build computers every 2 years to try to have a good video card and processor so i could play mmo's and have them looks half decent. I quit mmo's back in like 2008-2009 and havent even touched the inside of my computer since then. Its just a media center connected to my tv now days.

If this game has a shot to be something i could get behind and bring back a little eq/vg feel, im all for it and my ass will be on newegg again building a new computer. This may be a long shot, but its better then the nothing at all most of us deal with right now.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Off topic : I saw Fates Warning years ago open for my favorite band... they were solid.
lol, I was about to offtopic. I never cared for them (was a Slayer, Venom fan myself), but I recently saw an interview with the lead singer. I almost fell through the floor when they walk up to this very normal house filled with very normal stuff in a very suburban neighborhood. I was like,"WTF? I thought the dude lived in a cave with a portal to hell in the very bottom of the cave"?

calla_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_56982.gif
thanks i needed a new icon

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So someone that follows Kickstarter more than I do...Aren't the kickee's supposed to deliver on what they promise? If everyone, including Visionary Realms, agrees that $800,000 is just the start and won't fully fund what they are advertising, does that not go against the rules of Kickstarter?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So MMORPG finally listed them as a new MMO. Hopefully that helps grab a few people. I started the first thread in the game forum lol, just waiting for the random guy to come and flame me for linking the KS. gotta love that place.. Speaking of which.. some of the people are just not reading the KS.. I've read multiple post from people saying if only this game had XYZ i would donate and the KS actually list XYZ..

Also some girl saying she would donate if there was a female on the staff and waiting for Brad to answer her about that... ha

P.S. I hyped the game to 10 on there as well.. hint..