Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
As if there would be other options in 2017 besides Pantheon for people who want to play "that" type of game, and if BLP doesn't get funded I doubt there will be any options unless SOE decides to do one more go of the Progression servers...
Were progression servers really that popular though in the grand scheme of things? One thing I've never understood about those that want EQ again was, if you want it so bad how come no one flocks to project99 or even EQ which is still different enough from WoW at this point.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Reality check. Stretch goals are continents and classes that many like. I for one hope shit like touch screen functionality hasn't even been thought of nor will. And that's not just because I share my hatred of the idea of using one for PC games. And just hold your hands up for 5 minutes in front of you or slightly to the side for your side monitor options. See how enjoyable that gets. It's nothing about being in shape or not , using a touch screen sitting at a desk on a computer monitor is not in any way functional for any length of time. The only way they ever become even viable are when it becomes common to have them tabletop instead of in front of you. Even then I'll still prefer keyboard and mouse and looking in front of me than down at the table.

/apologies for the side rant , the whole touch screen for main screen monitor use has always been a pet peeve of mine

Itzena_sl

shitlord
By 2017 nearly everything is going to be touchscreen
ibzVxVzX4x37JG.jpg

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Were progression servers really that popular though in the grand scheme of things? One thing I've never understood about those that want EQ again was, if you want it so bad how come no one flocks to project99 or even EQ which is still different enough from WoW at this point.
There are a ton of factors that decide whether someone will play a game, the two biggest, discreet groups are overall design and technical execution. It's disingenuous to try and filter it down to just design and say "that's it, that's all anyone decides on", when in fact, execution on technical aspects is a HUGE portion of a players perception. How many times have you heard people say "I loved X game, but it ran like dog shit so I couldn't play it?". How a game runs, the UI, stability--there are all just as, or I'd say, more important that the philosophical "vision" of the game.

The fact is, original EQ runs like shit. It's really bad. It's like driving a car without power steering and enough weight on it to nearly break the frame. It really is, from a use control stand point, an immense piece of shit. Yet, despite that, p99 has an active population of over 1k each night. I'm actually amazed by it, it's like watching people who are willing to take a hammer to their balls just for the brief whiff of some rare mechanics.

But the main point is--Blizzards greatest asset, is the technical ability of their designers to create smooth, functional systems. More than anything else? I'd say that technical execution on mechanics is the primary thing that will drive people from a game in the first hour of playing it, and from all the market reports I've seen, that first hour is *critical*. It's the most critical component in determining whether a sub continues. Again, just think about your own experience--if you think a game is dumb, but the UI, controls and general stability are all good, you're probably more willing to see if the game fleshes out and improves. If those things are bad? You're probably simply going to assume the game is bad.

You can't judge games based just on their design goals. You have to judge them by their execution, too. No competitive MMORPG game has been executed well, aside from Eve, for more than a decade. (Note, quite a few competitive MMO's have been executed well, and they are wildly popular, LoL, WoT ect). Say what you want about WoW, playing WoW after EQ was like driving a BMW after getting out of a pinto, everything about it was just functional and smooth, it was a great experience.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reality check. Stretch goals are continents and classes that many like. I for one hope shit like touch screen functionality hasn't even been thought of nor will. And that's not just because I share my hatred of the idea of using one for PC games. And just hold your hands up for 5 minutes in front of you or slightly to the side for your side monitor options. See how enjoyable that gets. It's nothing about being in shape or not , using a touch screen sitting at a desk on a computer monitor is not in any way functional for any length of time. The only way they ever become even viable are when it becomes common to have them tabletop instead of in front of you. Even then I'll still prefer keyboard and mouse and looking in front of me than down at the table.

/apologies for the side rant , the whole touch screen for main screen monitor use has always been a pet peeve of mine
What about using a tablet as a second screen similar to how BF4 uses them with the battlescreen (via an app)? You could have the tablet show your inventory/map/etc.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah the touch screen discussion is a fucking joke. I mean christ, how long were dual and quad cores around before games actually started making use of them? Nearly everything is *NOT* going to be touchscreen by 2017. What a retarded thing to say.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I hope not... I really do not want to play a tablet MMO.
You know how many online gamers thought 3D MUD's were an idiotic idea? Pretty much all 20,000 of them. WoW seemed like an idiotic idea for the 300,000 EQ1 players... How did that work out? It changed the industry from 300k players to 10,000,000? Touchscreen gaming has over half a BILLION customers, and grows by the millions each month.

The future happens whether we like it or not. I think the touchscreen/tablet argument is valid, much of gaming WILL be done on touchscreens. Unless you live in your parents basement jobless or you're a kid, most adults already do most of their gaming on their phone or tablet. Hence all the porting being done, and the huge success of touchscreen gaming already.

That doesn't mean there won't be a market for anything else though. There will be purist MMO's as long as there's a market for it. But that market is dwindling quick, in the same way you don't see the 20k playing MUD's, the 300k playing EQ, or the 10m playing WoW anymore. Evolve or die.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
You know how many online gamers thought 3D MUD's were an idiotic idea? Pretty much all 20,000 of them. WoW seemed like an idiotic idea for the 300,000 EQ1 players... How did that work out? It changed the industry from 300k players to 10,000,000? Touchscreen gaming has over half a BILLION customers, and grows by the millions each month.

The future happens whether we like it or not. I think the touchscreen/tablet argument is valid, much of gaming WILL be done on touchscreens. Unless you live in your parents basement jobless or you're a kid, most adults already do most of their gaming on their phone or tablet. Hence all the porting being done, and the huge success of touchscreen gaming already.

That doesn't mean there won't be a market for anything else though. There will be purist MMO's as long as there's a market for it. But that market is dwindling quick, in the same way you don't see the 20k playing MUD's, the 300k playing EQ, or the 10m playing WoW anymore. Evolve or die.
xbox one and ps4 say hello

Quaid

Trump's Staff
If future MMOs don't have companion apps with at least in-game chat functionality (and maybe crafting) I'd be absolutely shocked, and quite disappointed.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Newest update by Silius. Aren't Brad and their PR guy reading this thread and others? That guy is hated, keep him out of the public eye as much as possible. He will cost you more than he'll make you. He is such an asshole. Pisses me off he has a job.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
So far it looks like there going to need a whole lot more backers at higher tiers. Majority are at 45 which is to be expected, but it really needs more at least at the 100 tier. I still think it's going to need close to 10k backers to succeed.