Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
ill give you an example into how their dev team works... for a long time horses couldn't go over minor terrain features like small rocks or plants, likewise horses had no jumping animation.. the MO dev solution was to just let horses no clip through everything.

Problem solved!

as for a 'nice' following, more ppl play p99 than mo

anyway, back to pantheon

Dumar_sl

shitlord
the MO dev solution was to just let horses no clip through everything.
How else do you find John Romero?

rrr_img_57426.png

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sheesh, this thread might as well be a chat channel at the rate it flys by. By tomorrow I expect to see this reach page 500 with next to nothing new to report except that Brad took a shit. This of course will be important news as people WILL complain that there was too much brown.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Why is it a disaster? It has a nice niche following.
Like a lot of people said earlier in this thread, technical execution is a part of game design. MO, Darkfall and a myriad number of games have a "hardcore" game design, but their technical execution was shit. Unresponsive UI, Bugs, terrible network lag, poor optimization and a whole gambit of terrible technical features. Just because some people are so starved for a game of that type that they play anyway, despite these game destroying short comings, doesn't make it any less of a disaster. Countless good games have just gotten shit on for being technically deficient.

Zaven_sl

shitlord
Btw....we were having a discussion on lighting, or more specifically, nights getting dark. Watching this gif, this is fucking WIN! THAT'S how lighting should be done! That is fucking perfect.
I agree totally. However, i think where it makes sense, some dungeons should have torches on the wall. Any race that inhabits a dungeon that can't see in the dark, and is smart enough to

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Like a lot of people said earlier in this thread, technical execution is a part of game design. MO, Darkfall and a myriad number of games have a "hardcore" game design, but their technical execution was shit. Unresponsive UI, Bugs, terrible network lag, poor optimization and a whole gambit of terrible technical features. Just because some people are so starved for a game of that type that they play anyway, despite these game destroying short comings, doesn't make it any less of a disaster. Countless good games have just gotten shit on for being technically deficient.
Yes, technical expertise is more important than anything else. It doesn't matter what you design if your team doesn't have the expertise to implement it. WoW became what it is today almost exclusively due to the technical talent at Blizzard at the time - the designers were coattail riders.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
don't forget shadowbane. ive played em all bro, I'm one of those starving sadists.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
This pcgamer article reminds me of the 'miracle' patches that are supposed to fix all the garbage when a game launches .

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
ill give you an example into how their dev team works... for a long time horses couldn't go over minor terrain features like small rocks or plants, likewise horses had no jumping animation.. the MO dev solution was to just let horses no clip through everything.

Problem solved!

as for a 'nice' following, more ppl play p99 than mo

anyway, back to pantheon
Pantheon sounds like a PvE version of Mortal online to me so far.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Feel like I've been double duped.
The latest QA was a little better I thought - but they were holding back on class info because of the pcgamer article. I'm still amazed that they've gotten as much as they have with the weaksauce kickstarter they have (though the tier/reward improvements of today helped).

I do think it shows there is incredible interest in an "old-school" MMO that despite all the points raised they're still nearing 200k. People are throwing money at it, just for the faint hope of a game.

JordanJax_sl

shitlord
What Brad should have done (and maybe should still do) was take the old Vanguard vision doc that was posted to the Sigil boards during VGs development, take out anything that doesn't apply, add anything new, change a few words to avoid copyright issues, and roll with that.

I was never more pumped for a game than I was for VG after reading that. It was detailed, it was about making a game that was challenging and rewarding, a game with meaningful penalties if you screwed up, big on open world zones and little or no instancing, defined roles, huge focus on itemization, limited fast travel so the huge world actually felt like it. Meaningful and involved combat instead of button mashing...it just gave me the sense of a world you could get lost in again.

Basically, it was describing Pantheon. Or Pantheon on roids maybe...but for sure the same kind of game.

If a document like that would have been put on KS with so much more detail and a better read and just...much more professional looking they'd be in a much better spot IMO.

Do it McQuaid!

gogojira_sl

shitlord
The latest QA was a little better I thought - but they were holding back on class info because of the pcgamer article. I'm still amazed that they've gotten as much as they have with the weaksauce kickstarter they have (though the tier/reward improvements of today helped).

I do think it shows there is incredible interest in an "old-school" MMO that despite all the points raised they're still nearing 200k. People are throwing money at it, just for the faint hope of a game.
There's a disconnect between the way the crew at Visionary Realms has developed in the past and how they should be developing in their current state. It's not about dangling the carrot, it's about stuffing everyone's face so full of steak they rack up a bill they'll be crying about for months.