Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'm making a case for not classwalling porting as it's just bad design in a number of ways. Sending a in game tell to a TeleportClass asking for transportation does not promote 'socializing' so I'm sure why people keep bringing that up.
Interdependence. These porting classes also rely on the tank and healer to level up with. Plus it adds a bit of variety to the game. There was nothing wrong with the porting classes in EQ. They didn't break shit. You could also run there if you didn't want to use them.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm making a case for not classwalling porting as it's just bad design in a number of ways. Sending a in game tell to a TeleportClass asking for transportation does not promote 'socializing' so I'm sure why people keep bringing that up.

Never claimed I wanted easy-mode travel to everywhere and everything.
Huh? Did you play a wizard or Druid? Any idea how many people I've met from giving teleports to? If I wasn't already in zone offering to do it for $$ a lot of people would just ask me. The conversation would basically end in the person saying they put me on friends list. Sometimes I could help them out down the line and other times I was busy.. You're making this out to be much worse than it was.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I always had problems finding a tank, so we should do away with those things too, oh and healers.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lack of a grouping tool can prevent exploration. If you have to travel to a destination before looking for a group then people are more likely to just go to the popular destinations because they know that they can find a group then they get there.
This is a great example of one of the traps so many mmos fall into. On its face what you are saying makes absolutely perfect sense. It seems like it would be BAD for some zones to be more popular than other zones. In reality, its actually a GOOD thing. It's perfectly ok for "most" people to go to a few popular zones.

One of the things that made EQ a "world" is that most zones developed their own individual identities over time. Location and typical zone population were two fairly significant factors in lending a zone its own identity. (In early EQ) If I went to Sol A, I could be pretty positive I could get a group there. If I went to Permafrost, I could be pretty sure it would be empty and I'd have the run of the place. Perma being a pain in the ass to get to is one of the things that made it Perma. It washardto get a group together for Perma because of where it was. But if you did get a group together and set up in Perma, it was often a really rewarding experience.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well early EQ did not handle risk vs reward well either. and Kunark just made things worse. Those out of the way dungeons, like Permafrost, should of had better exp and rewards for being so out of the way and harder.

LFG_sl

shitlord
Interdependence. You could also run there if you didn't want to use them.
You can use that exact argument for almost any type of dungeon finder.

Giving one or two classes port adds doesn't add much value to game other than making those specific classe(s) special snowflakes that will receive whispers all day seeking transportation and down right mandatory in some situations where a group has some kind of timecrunch.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Like I said, just like a tank is a special snowflake, or a good damage dealer is, or the enchanter, healer? They are all special snowflakes in their roles. Or am I missing something here? Its fucking class interdependence, bro.

If you want to be that special snowflake, roll up a porter, dude.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I always had problems finding a tank, so we should do away with those things too, oh and healers.
I always wanted track. I think its BS I never was able to get track on my wizzy. So I should be able to track....ohh and SOW to. A couple heals spells would be nice. Ohh and I want to wear plate armor to. Thanks!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Wasn't this just a one off thing cause you went LD? not sure its wise to stop all the positives from not having fast travel because of this. Also its theses moments that give fear to the world. yeah it sucked but it wasnt what happened every day.
If you were a melee during certain eras of EQ, it was something that came into play every day. If we want to enable, encourage and reward grouping, there are smarter ways to go about it than creating so may barriers grouping becomes a hindrance. It's about compromises, which is why these discussions are so hard for the general forum public who sees the world in black and white.

If a group can't run a dungeon because they don't have the potential hour it would take to get the group TO the dungeon before they start clearing, that's bad. If a group can't run a dungeon because they don't have the right class to port everyone out of the dungeon afterward, that's bad. If a group can't run a dungeon because there's a high likelihood it will split up every time someone has to leave, because the porting class has to port everyone out for that person to leave, or they'll have to restart from the entrance of the dungeon, that's bad.

There were just as many times in EQ where we DIDN'T group because of easily solved situations, than when we did. The problem with modern game design is it eliminated ALL the barriers. That's not the goal. The goal is finding compromises to remove some of the less meaningful barriers. And not forming a group because the non-casters will get stuck is, in my opinion, a pretty unnecessary barrier to grouping, and not at all on the same level as instant-ports to dungeons. Because with instant dungeon ports, you give up a lot. What do you really give up by having mechanics so meleers don't get stuck in dungeons or groups don't get formed because they don't have someone to port out the meleers?

Having an open world that requires travel is good. Having challenging dungeons that require effort and planning is good. But there are surely ways to get those things that don't also have a mechanic where melees have no way to get out of a dungeon or group. Relying on other players is great, until it's such a dependance it tips to scale to utterly frustrating and poor game design. We should rely on other players because it's preferred, not because it's absolutely the only way to do things.

So, no, enabling one form of fast travel, in this case a mechanism for non-casters to gate out of a dungeon, doesn't mean we have to eliminate ALL of anything. One compromise never means ALL. And the extreme example that highlights a flawed mechanic doesn't mean it's invalidated because the example was rare. In the end, that flawed mechanic needs to be eliminated if it's not adding more than it's taking away, and in this case I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually try to make a case for melee not having any means or tools of escape from a dungeon, or gating in general, being a good thing that added more than it took away.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
Huh? Did you play a wizard or Druid? Any idea how many people I've met from giving teleports to? If I wasn't already in zone offering to do it for $$ a lot of people would just ask me. The conversation would basically end in the person saying they put me on friends list. Sometimes I could help them out down the line and other times I was busy.. You're making this out to be much worse than it was.
I was thinking this too. The people don't have to be on your friend list to begin with. And if it's an expectation within the game, it's not like teleport classes are going to be overly annoyed with tells for teleports.
And yea I remember the few times I DID play EQ, a lot of people would offer teleports and buffs for $. I guess if you play at an odd time, you might have problems finding help??

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
And keep in mind, players will find a way. I spend a good month and a half in KC. I didn't port home every night, I camped out in front of KC so when I logged in the next day all I had to do was zone in. This whining that dungeons are to far away is ridiculous. Some nights if I wanted to switch and head to another zone I would hit the city, refill my food and water, sell my crap, and head to that dungeon. Log off in front of it and I'm good to go for the next night. It works.
I think this is an important aspect of controlling content. Not this system, but the philosophy. You have to have stuff that is easy to get to, stuff that is hard, and stuff that is nearly impossible. The problem with fast-travel dungeon-finders is there is no longer control over accessing content. All dungeons are always accessible and there is no variation of any kind. If you're at any given level where you're primarily grouping and log in for the night, let's say the closest city you've made your home base, you shouldn't be able to do everything no matter your time commitment. You should have a mental list of things you'd like to do (not a quest list!), weigh the time you have to do it, and try to find a group based on that, not based on the expectation you should be able to do anything.

The best way to control this is, in part, through travel. From the city, the most casual friendly dungeon is a 10 minute trip and there are often groups there so it's not too hard to get into one. 15 minutes away is another dungeon, that is tougher, with less groups, so it's best to be a replacement first before you just head there to hang out waiting for a group. 20 minutes away is a dungeon that requires a key, an initial break in, or other mechanics that make it the kind of place you usually only go with a pre-formed group that has a longer chunk of time to play. Hell, maybe even have a harder to get to dungeon that guilds/groups will plan for the day before, get setup there, that doesn't allow summoning in, etc.

Loot is then also somewhat controlled, the better stuff being had in the tougher dungeons, that is all controlled by ease or difficulty of travel.

Everyone has a reasonable chance to "do" something group-wise, but all grouping and all dungeons aren't made equal and homogenized due to instant travel. And you also solve the EQ "problem" where if you camped out at a spot that isn't active today, you aren't completely screwed or have to spend your night trying to guess where the active spot will be tomorrow.

PhoneticHalo_sl

shitlord
Heh.

Yeah, select classes having easy-access to currency because of an essential button press that anyone would want to use if they cared about time. Totally balanced.

That's what crafting should be for.
Fuck and now i need that underwater breathing kit from a Gnome Tinker. Im fucked why cant we all make all the items!