Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't like it when the game starts you out as some sort of great hero. Let me be my self, dammit. That was something kind of neat about EQ. You got dropped into the world as a nobody, and it was up to you to decide what you wanted to do. I'm not even a roleplayer, but that always bothered me about Rift, too.
You're kind of not tho.. You're a nobody who once was something great long ago.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Whats the general consensus over having a "Isle of Dawn" or starting newbie zone? I used to be opposed to it but now I'm not so sure. You do your first five levels or so in the zone, learn the basics, see how the game works then when you ding level "x", you get transported to your starting city. Would also foster community as you would meet the players from every race and faction and possibly make friends. Then when they head to say, Neriak and you head off to Qeynos, you know you can meet up with them later on in the game.
Absolutely against anything like this - anything you'd learn there you can learn "in the real world". Let players make their character, give them a rusty dagger and a good collection of loading screen hints and tooltips and let them figure it out for themselves. I think five levels of teaching would even create false expectations (similar to the suggestion of having group finder at first then removing it later), because then the first five levels would be like current MMOs.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Absolutely against anything like this - anything you'd learn there you can learn "in the real world". Let players make their character, give them a rusty dagger and a good collection of loading screen hints and tooltips and let them figure it out for themselves. I think five levels of teaching would even create false expectations (similar to the suggestion of having group finder at first then removing it later), because then the first five levels would be like current MMOs.
Agree. The first thing I do if possible in games is fucking turn of tutorials. Really unless you're a sheltered seven year old, you shouldn't need a tutorial on a video game. This shits been around for 30 years now, we get it, and if we don't we will figure it out. Let the player stumble around, this shits not hard. Have the combat trainer give you combat tips and mechanic hints. Throw some obscure shit on the loading screens. Don't have a pop-up holding your hand through the game. It wasn't necessary in 1999, what makes developers think people need it 15 years later. I feel like figuring out basic mechanics on my own is part of the fun of a new game, tutorialstake awaypart of my gaming experience.

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
Agree. The first thing I do if possible in games is fucking turn of tutorials. Really unless you're a sheltered seven year old, you shouldn't need a tutorial on a video game. This shits been around for 30 years now, we get it, and if we don't we will figure it out. Let the player stumble around, this shits not hard. Have the combat trainer give you combat tips and mechanic hints. Throw some obscure shit on the loading screens. Don't have a pop-up holding your hand through the game. It wasn't necessary in 1999, what makes developers think people need it 15 years later. I feel like figuring out basic mechanics on my own is part of the fun of a new game, tutorialstake awaypart of my gaming experience.
No shit man. Also, it's a waste of time and resources, building all that tutorial nonsense into the game. KEEP IT SIMPLE! Go back to basics. Let the good players figure things out first, and distinguish themselves from the pack. Everything saved on training wheel features can be allocated to adding content and filling the world with little details and polish.

If new players need help, they can ask other players who've figured it out, or take the time to figure it out on their own. If they're really at a loss, there are sure to be plenty of websites filled with info for them. All this hand holding is ruining what were once major allures of MMOs: Mystery, discovery, and fear of the unknown.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Like the guy asking for my money?
ZING

also, on the latest, and previously mentioned update..

Back to AMA

After the last AMA, Brad wanted to do another one. And I'm guessing some of you would like another chance to ask your questions directly of Brad. Well, that opportunity is coming up! But we're going to do things a little differently this time. Instead of pre-selecting a time on our own, Brad has agreed to let you pick for him. So, simply post in the comments section of this thread the day of the week and time you'd like Brad to appear on AMA, and we'll get it scheduled.
No shit. The moment his initial AMA was announced, everyone here questioned the logic over the time slot. At least they appear to be learning.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Although I think the Isle was well done, I agree with Creed. Don't underestimate your players, they will find a way to make things work and play in a way that you would never see from a develop stand point. I mean shit half of the time EQ was so entertaining because of the little nuisances and systems players practically "developed" themselves to defeat encounters etc.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
+1 to no tutorials, I wanna drop into a game with no jackassery and roam the city / world for a few hours being completely clueless.

And not: You are locked in this room, talk to X to get out . . . talk to X to get to next area, hit "A" to attack . . . blah blah.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
/w LachiusTZ "Yo let's head over to reliquary of agony, just found out it has a 15% bonus exp boost"

LachiusTZ whispers: "FUCK YOU, YOU JUST RUINED MY IMMERSION"

Quaid

Trump's Staff
+1 to no tutorials.
6a00d83451b8c369e2014e5f45e05d970c-pi