Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They are going to run into the same issue if they don't have something tangible to show. In fact, they may even have a harder road to climb if they are trying the crowdfunding route since most of the people who are interested in this type of game followed this project, they know what was produced (what little there was) and most people weren't impressed.
Some thoughts on this and I'm not really putting something new out there since Salim touched on it. There is an idea of a 4 or 5 player co-op RPG. They would most likely not look to go the MMO route first. the co-op would allow them to get the IP rolling, it would be a lot cheaper and faster to make. Plus, if it's good, it would get them a fan base. As for a KS? I don't know.. It's a hard one to judge. I think the Pantheon community might get them 100k? But anything more would rely on people outside of all this.

As for the IP of Pantheon, it's with Brad. But again, like Salim said, it wouldn't be hard to come up with a new IP in the spirit of it. They would surely lose the art, lore and in game docs that were created. The early combat stuff, climate and travel along with everything Jason and Vu were doing.

El Santo_sl

shitlord
Some thoughts on this and I'm not really putting something new out there since Salim touched on it. There is an idea of a 4 or 5 player co-op RPG. They would most likely not look to go the MMO route first. the co-op would allow them to get the IP rolling, it would be a lot cheaper and faster to make. Plus, if it's good, it would get them a fan base.
That worked wonders for 38 Studios / Amalur.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
One thing I do have to say is I was surprised just how professional some of the team was on the radio show.

Whoever James is (Rochelle I believe) seemed like a very nice guy on the show.
Roach is awesome, and I wish I had the power to give him a job somewhere, anywhere. The guy does great work, is SUPER easy to work with, and would be an asset to any company.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I think the guys on the team are nice people...but a capable team? I'm not sold yet. This project was a disaster and while I blame leadership for most of it...there still wasn't a lot shown from any angle. The PR was awful, the website in awful, the design was meh at best, lore sucked, etc. This was a poorly thought out concept with little actual substance. I hope Salim and gang do go the other route and have success. Giving up the IP(a couple day's work) shouldn't be hard to contemplate. Just move on and call Brad later if you succeed. Show him who is the talent and who isn't

I think Brad has no place in any game development cycle. He's poison and extremely lazy. He has had a few good ideas which are completely negated by Brad the worker. A workplace involves many aspects and Brad really doesn't add to any of them. Plenty of ideas guys out there who would work harder and take less credit for the team's work. Why add a guy who is lazy and wants to take credit for everything? I'd say he's extremely hard to manage because of his gigantic ego. Send that guy to the retired developers graveyard because he's not worth a shit.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Some thoughts on this and I'm not really putting something new out there since Salim touched on it. There is an idea of a 4 or 5 player co-op RPG. They would most likely not look to go the MMO route first. the co-op would allow them to get the IP rolling, it would be a lot cheaper and faster to make. Plus, if it's good, it would get them a fan base. As for a KS? I don't know.. It's a hard one to judge. I think the Pantheon community might get them 100k? But anything more would rely on people outside of all this.

As for the IP of Pantheon, it's with Brad. But again, like Salim said, it wouldn't be hard to come up with a new IP in the spirit of it. They would surely lose the art, lore and in game docs that were created. The early combat stuff, climate and travel along with everything Jason and Vu were doing.
Honestly i think this is the way to go. If they stay true to the original discussions around group mechanics, this would stand out in the current multiplayer / MMo world and go against the grain as far as MMO funding goes. The idea of releasing something smaller along this vein is a fantastic idea and could set the stage for a real MMO down the road.

Spend 2 years and make a great Co-op game, then MMO it in another 2+ it gives you a midterm goal and revenue stream and this is more measurable for a KS. That is, we all knew that the KS for pantheon would not have gotten the MMO to completion, but your KS is more legitimate if you plan to release a co-op game that IS funded primarily by the crowds..

Hell Project Eternity got 4mil for something similar yet not multiplayer and isometric. Think small to think big.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Just curious... who "owns" Pantheon. Can they vote Brad out of the group and go make Pantheon or have they signed some type of competitive market or exclusivity contract? I'm a little confused who's money or how much was placed into this company. I'm assuming Brad is primary owner of the gaming company while Pantheon is just product produced by his company? Surely he has partners and/or allowed others to buy in?

iannis

Musty Nester
I think you may be giving this a lot more credit than it deserves.

There is nothing to own except for a webpage (which I'm sure Brad owns), and the word "Pantheon". I guess maybe there's some concept art? I guess there's some engine licenses (which brad didn't reimburse the guy for buying out of pocket)? He apparently didn't even incorporate. I find that hard to believe... but apparently he didn't want to bother with even that miniscule amount of paperwork.

I don't think voting brad off the island is an actual thing. If they want to continue, they'll need to form a company. Cause Brad sure as shit didn't.

Shit would be funny though.

Brad McQuaid! You!are the weakest link.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Forget the IP, tweak the lore and replace a few names for other fantasy names. There's no reason to fight for the IP or even bother with the baggage it comes with.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I was just curious if there would be anything legal that these guys have vested in or not given this "break up". I wouldn't fight for anything either because it's one, not going to be worth it and secondly, there probably isn't anything worth fighting for in the long run. However, there may be some guys that feel entitled to where this project was going and someone just screwed up everything they had done and was potentially looking toward in the future.

Really just getting a gauge for how big of a deal this could be and just how much of Brad's name could be dragged through the mud. I would assume most of them would just walk away.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was just curious if there would be anything legal that these guys have vested in or not given this "break up". I wouldn't fight for anything either because it's one, not going to be worth it and secondly, there probably isn't anything worth fighting for in the long run. However, there may be some guys that feel entitled to where this project was going and someone just screwed up everything they had done and was potentially looking toward in the future.

Really just getting a gauge for how big of a deal this could be and just how much of Brad's name could be dragged through the mud. I would assume most of them would just walk away.
They have walked away.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
The reputation of Brad MQ has finally shit to bed.

Hell, UT didn't even bother coming in here, that tells you something...

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
excluding Brad, Tom and Ben.

3 artist
3 Devs
1 programmer
1 Vu (he seems to be able to do multiple things)

I also know a few of them were learning other programs to chip in with certain game functions. I don't have all those details tho.
What does a dev do under this breakdown? Usually developer means programmer.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Usually being a game developer means they do the world building and design the systems in a game on paper. They can also do some scripting once they've moved past a design stage and into a build stage but they are generally worlds apart from a true programmer who is the one implementing those systems into the actual game engine. Of course those two roles can blend some depending on the size of a studio.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If Ut came back to this thread he might be brought to task about his super duper secret insider knowledge about the plan between Brad and Smed to gain money on KS before Smed publishes.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Some leaked demo footage:

9B5NH4G.gif

spronk

FPS noob
ut will post for 40 pages about how brad is a scam artist from nigeria who secretly works for zenimax and declare all the employees have messaged him offering him the ceo job. his final post will be a short note that because he lost a bet with smed he is investing $100k of his nfl retirement money into pantheon

Heartbreaking to hear how let down by Brad the team feels. He really fucked this one up. I hope he's learned some humility after all of this. I withheld judgment in spite of his reputation even after the whole Vanguard fiasco. When these sorts of projects don't work out, there are almost always bitter feelings towards the management. His failure to communicate with his team this time is just unforgivable though. It's past time for him to get his shit together.