Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
question: why are so many people who obviously hated playing everquest (a game that they still played for several years mind you) bothering to post here about a game that was supposed to be made for people who liked playing everquest? if you don't like everquest, and you don't like the idea of playing another MMO like everquest maybe you should, i don't know, fuck off?
Same reason someone might slump-bust with a few fat chicks and will talk about fat chicks and even think a few chubby chicks are hot, but that doesn't mean they hate skinny chicks and only ever lust after fat chicks.

Just because we don't agree your fat girlfriend is as hot as you're trying to convince us she is, doesn't mean we don't want to talk about some fatty puss'!

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Gurglechimps gurling about EQ mechanics
Oh fucking please. This derail is worse than ktam. Rail on Brad all you want, but start dissing EverQuest mechanics because you feel the impulsive need to pile-on to run along with the herd and I'll start taking it to task.

The mechanics in EverQuest werebetter than any modern morpg. (No, modern games don't deserve the first 'm' in the acronym.) If you want to get into that here, let's dive right the fuck in.

I was a troll SK from the beginning. No one ever gave two fucks about the xp penalty because a good SK made xpfasterthan the penalty offset it in good groups. This board is becoming more retarded by the day and seems to forget where it came from. That design was superior to every modern mechanic because it gave you a real, meaningful, tangible choice. Even if there were flaws,having the meaningful choicewas a superior mechanic than not having any, like in every fucking game now, ala WoW.

Tide27_sl

shitlord
Oh fucking please. This derail is worse than ktam. Rail on Brad all you want, but start dissing EverQuest mechanics because you feel the impulsive need to pile-on to run along with the herd and I'll start taking it to task.

The mechanics in EverQuest werebetter than any modern morpg. (No, modern games don't deserve the first 'm' in the acronym.) If you want to get into that here, let's dive right the fuck in.

I was a troll SK from the beginning. No one ever gave two fucks about the xp penalty because a good SK made xpfasterthan the penalty offset it in good groups. This board is becoming more retarded by the day and seems to forget where it came from. That design was superior to every modern mechanic because it gave you a real, meaningful, tangible choice. Even if there were flaws,having the meaningful choicewas a superior mechanic than not having any, like in every fucking game now, ala WoW.
And yet every mechanic that you feel was amazing in Everquest was also unintended and the development team stated they didn't know how to fix them.

Druid and wizard quadding...unintended
Snare kiting...unintended
Root and dot rotting....unintended
Pet tanking...unintended
Reverse kiting...unintended
FD pulling...unintended
FD splitting mobs unintended

Literally ever mechanic in Everquest that people loved and thought it was unique has been stated as unintended and a mistake.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
And yet every mechanic that you feel was amazing in Everquest was also unintended and the development team stated they didn't know how to fix them.

Pet tanking...unintended
FD pulling...unintended

Literally ever mechanic in Everquest that people loved and thought it was unique has been stated as unintended and a mistake.
All this stuff being possible, along with the social interactions, made EQ a sandbox MMO rather then a "find 8 rat tails MMO".

Too bad they worked hard to get rid of some of this stuff, really lose-lose.

They nerfed Earthshaker pulls because their crappy servers couldn't handle it (making zones lag cross-server was fun), and then later did the same to PBAE kiting. I think ranger headshot and other similar tricks recently bit the dust. God forbid anyone doesn't do "the holy trinity +3", these days known as "3-box with mercs".

I haven't played in years, still mad.

Fuck EQ and its shitty design. "oh noes people are FD-pulling" .. "beter link the mobs together", "oh noes people are using fading memories to split, beter make the mobs immune", "oh noes people using highsun, .. beter make mobs immune".

Really a big ole fuck you towards EQ devs, for giving players tools then breaking those tools with shitty nonsensical design. That along with "yea that would be a great feature but our hardware can't support it", really did wonders for the immersion and all that.

Jait

Molten Core Raider

Pet tanking...unintended
FD pulling...unintended

You just don't fucking get it.

The mechanics were the reasons those things were possible. You can't do anything unintended anymore because mechanics are all so tightly controlled copies of copies.

Tide27_sl

shitlord
You just don't fucking get it.

The mechanics were the reasons those things were possible. You can't do anything unintended anymore because mechanics are all so tightly controlled copies of copies.
I "get it" just fucking fine.

Im sick of hearing how Everquest was some sort of fucking holy grail of "programming" and "vision".

Every damn thing they did was unintended and they have spent the better part of a damn decade trying to remove what we considered "fun" out of it.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I "get it" just fucking fine.

Im sick of hearing how Everquest was some sort of fucking holy grail of "programming" and "vision".

Every damn thing they did was unintended and they have spent the better part of a damn decade trying to remove what we considered "fun" out of it.
That's calledemergent gameplay, and it's completely fucking lost to modern designers - completely. Every single modern game has its players and what they can do wholly defined, measured, and contained. Was a lot of the genius of EQ on accident? Yes. Was a lot of the emergence unintended? Yes. But that's the point: that's the way it'ssupposedto be. Great designers design gameplay systems that facilitate the creation of these unintended gameplay elements, and seeing this in the industry now is like finding a needle in a giant fucking haystack. They don't exist.

EverQuest had these elements. WoW, modern games do not. People in this thread speaking of 'outdated' mechanics are clueless. Those mechanics were much, much better and gave us themassivelypart of the game.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, you can say it's unintended and they didn't design it that way, but letting us do shit like that IS the design. Even if it's unintended. They clearly didn't understand what they had done the first time since EQ2 was more tightly controlled than a nun's asshole, but I don't think it's fair to say that EQ1 was good despite the devs rather than because of them. That's like saying Rockstar gets no credit for all of the fun shit you can do in GTA. Just because they didn't know WHAT we were going to do in EQ, didn't mean they weren't at least vaguely aware of the possibility that we would find crazy shit to do. Only the most obscenely broken stuff was legitimately 'fixed' for the most part, lots of the fun things still exist.

Grundge_sl

shitlord
So in other words, it doesn't matter what it's about or anything like that, as long as it's a 'group oriented niche MMO', then who the hell cares about anything else?
Of course! Me I miss GroupQuest. Sure that game was never made, but it sounded so damn good espescially the Dorkari class, it should have been a thing.

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm

Pet tanking...unintended
FD pulling...unintended

I think an important point to make is that if any of these unintended actions were found today in a modern MMO (EQ now included), they would be patched out within days. What was so unique back then, was that they did nothing about them for years. Whole expansions came & went with these issues becoming part of the game play. Only real game breakers were actually fixed and a handful of items changed or removed, my personal favourite being the Holgresh Elder beads which let you cast infinite Eye of Zomm. There was also a bug with them where if you cast it facing a wall, the eye would randomly pop up anywhere in the zone, very handy. Finally, let's not forget that a good portion of the items they changed or removed, they took the unique stance of not changing or removing the ones already in circulation.

IIRC, I still have my beads, and my necro & SK still have their insta-cast circlet of shadows.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Mechanics wise, EQ was turned from a sandbox game into a railshooter.

Our way or no way.

Guess its "no way" then. Wp Elidroth
smile.png

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider

Pet tanking...unintended
FD pulling...unintended

Yet no modern game has them and they are crap! Unintended or not it makes for a greater range of play styles. But guess it doesnt matter anymore anyways with "play on rails" as the current method of non-thinking DEV planning and design.

"Dammit if Microsoft put that "Delete" button next to "New" or "Rename" on the menu options then we should too!"....no that is too far away, make it closer without much space and no change to the font, size or color.............. Fucking idiots!!!

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Of course most of EQ was unintended. What most fail to grasp is you cannot design a game like that. When the word 'unintended' is being thrown around, what you're basically saying is EQ by and large was fun by accident, not on purpose and certainly not by design. No developer is going to design a game with intended broken mechanics, not even the EQ devs sought out to do that. It was more they had no clue and then when they tried to 'correct' certain aspects, it actually made the game worse.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My biggest question at this point is how much has the site made, and is anyone in Pantheons gate asking Brad for transparency in regards to how the money is being spent??

Is he still paying himself? I bet he is..