Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i had my original EQ machine and 56k connection right up until Luclin (end of 2001) where it promptly shit its pants and i had to get a new machine and go broadband. i think i went with verizon which had a 1.5 MBPs which to me was like flying at warp speed. when i got my new PC and connection, it was like i was playing a whole new game. with my old pc in velius, i spent every raid staring at my shoes with every conceivable option turned off and i would still crash to desktop or completely frozen screen at least once every 2 hours. with new machine and connection, i had everything on, with my view pointed at raid and i was able to stay linked during every raid and not crash at all. never realized how many times my character died was due to my horrible PC.

iannis

Musty Nester
You cable elitists.

56k USR modems all the way. I had to buy a new one like every 6 months. They kept blowing up. lol.

When it rained I lagged.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I had someone boarding with me in a spare room in 2002 who talked me into getting high speed internet. We had dial up until then. I remember saying to him "but why on earth would you need internet that fast?"

It took about a day for me to realise I should have had it long before.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Used DSL a ways before broadband cable modems went into widespread use, which was decent enough for the time. Sad how spoiled I am now that I can't stand working on anything less than a gigabit network these days....

And yeah the old USR external 56k modem was the beast back in the day.

Tol_sl

shitlord
p.s. this discussion of internet speed we had before 9/11 is the sign that the thread is dying
I once had load times so bad that the boat left without me and I would zone into the middle of ocean of tears or eruds crossing. Got cable in 2000ish and man was it sweet.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I remember going to my friend's house and he has a 1200 baud modem and The Sierra Network. It was my first experience of being "online". I think I was around 15. We were chatting with some chick across the country and each message took like 5 minutes to receive. It was the worst.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Remember these bad boys?

1svj0zS.jpg

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I went 56K to broadband then back. Pretty much had to convince my parents I was going to die if we stuck with 56K any longer.

Also, VOOODOO 2 BITCH WHAT

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
I remember being on dial up back in the day and that fucking bug at the Qeynos hills/Karana zone line where if someone had zoned into Karana and not bothered moving, you would zone then get bumped back into Qeynos hills. Used to take a minute or 2 to zone, then get bumped then another minute or 2 just to be back in the hills.

Those were the days

JonJon_sl

shitlord
I remember the first time I put after market parts into a computer, it was some ram going into a Compaq so I could have enough ram to turn all the Luclin models on. I made zero consideration other than the capacity of the stick (I decided one stick had to be better than two smaller sticks, something that is patently false). Also when my buddy got a Voodoo and we installed it, I was all kinds of jealous.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This could turn it around for Vanguard.

As in, VG will no longer be the worst thing Brad ever did.

Not going to criticize the animations or art quality, as that stuff tends to get fixed later, but....
Holy fuck did they just cut and paste NRO/Oasis into that game and large chunks of Dragons Dogma's outdoor regions? The layout of the areas they were trotting through all looked identical to several other games (EQ, D.Dogma, and Dragon Age, specifically).

I will say I am surprised they were able to throw that much up there, but this could all be just a faux demo for generating revenue. He tried that stunt in the early stages of developing VG, but Microsoft called him to the carpet on in.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Not going to criticize the animations or art quality
Art quality improving would be highly dependent on someone uploading better art/textures to the Unity market. In other words, I wouldn't count on it.

I also love how they cram 2 minutes of credits into a teaser video.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Wait...this is what they spent time polishing on? Do they not know what polishing means? Here's some notes I took from watching this "polished" demo, that probably falls under the realm of "easily rectified":

ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd (how did they not notice this)
remove the white box at the top
remove the bounding white box at the bottom
remove that fucking chat scrollbar

Those things alone would make it look a lot less amatuer hour. Beyond that, the animations on the "new" model is better. Saw the old one in the background though and it was horrible. The female walk looks like a fucking centaur. And "Offensive Target" -> VG ideas eh?

Oh, and I thought the dungeon areas looked neat. It may be all just copied/pasted together unity store assets, but meh, it looked neat at least IMO.