Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
That's similar to how he got 989 on board with EQ I believe. Not with Unity obviously, but I think he worked up a basic framework himself and showed it to the studio.
That's all well and good but they are no longer presenting a revolutionary idea or taking an idea to the next level. Assuming you believe EQ in 1998/99 was doing so. He's now entering into a very saturated market where people who throw millions of dollars into the wind flop and barely get any ROI if any at all.

It's white noise and if he's going to do it, it will have to be an in-house development and pray that it because such a popular niche game that someone wants to take it to the next level.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
and if any studio took brad seriously and bankrolled this project for full development with talented programmers and artists, all of his current crew would be heading for a meeting in the parking lot soon after.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Wonder if they told her that she ruins everything?
According to some batshit crazy stuff she posted shes estranged from her oldest son. Shes poison, religion is poison and the world would be a better place without either in it.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's all well and good but they are no longer presenting a revolutionary idea or taking an idea to the next level. Assuming you believe EQ in 1998/99 was doing so. He's now entering into a very saturated market where people who throw millions of dollars into the wind flop and barely get any ROI if any at all.

It's white noise and if he's going to do it, it will have to be an in-house development and pray that it because such a popular niche game that someone wants to take it to the next level.
I wasn't suggesting anything, I was just making an observation that he has done this type of thing before. There are dozens of differences between this scenario and original EQ that go beyond the fact that Pantheon does not appear to be as "revolutionary" as EQ.

I give Pantheon about a 5% chance of success. By success I mean: finishing the project, launching, maintaining modest player base for at least a year or so. That 5% number isn't just because of Brad's personal difficulties and his recent failures either. Achieving success (as defined above) in the mmo market is extraordinarily difficult- even for outfits with investors and big time resources and, clearly, the Pantheon crew doesn't have those advantages.

I will say Pantheon has one big advantage that most or all of the other corpses in the mmo graveyard did NOT have. Every single person working on Pantheon is doing so out of pure passion for game design. They have to be, because they sure as hell aren't doing it for compensation. These guys are doing what they are doing because they love to do it- not because it's their "job." Passion doesn't necessarily equate to talent, but a little bit of talent and a lot of passion can go a long way.

Either way, I stand by my 5% number.

iannis

Musty Nester
No major distributor is ever going to bother with this dumpster fire of a project. And without a major distributor taking responsibility for his servers I don't see how he gets even a 5% maybe. It's basically 0%.

He could self publish on Steam / GoG / I'm sure there are others but that's only half of it.

I'd give him 5% on "releasing" a broken tangled mess and pretending that it is a game, just to salvage SOMETHING out of this pitiful affair, and then when it falls apart within 2 weeks blaming the "live" team. And I only give him 5% because, literally, the only other option he has is to become a Wal-Mart Store Manager. I'll put that one around 95%.

He can't manage a kickstarter, and that is supposedly his self-professed strength. It is generous to assume he'll do better in areas where he is weaker.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the worst thing brad feared has happened, he released his long awaited video and nobody here gave a shit. we talked about it for a day and now this thread is dead again. i think he was better off releasing hilariously bad in-game screenshots, at least that way it gave us something to chuckle over every day. video is out, same chuckle. thread almost drops off the page. honestly you should have kept that religious nutjob because her antics kept us all talking (and laughing).

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
According to some batshit crazy stuff she posted shes estranged from her oldest son. Shes poison, religion is poison and the world would be a better place without either in it.
I bet Allah could've got Brad the KS funding.

It just would've cost him a Fuzzy Muhammad Troll.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
the worst thing brad feared has happened, he released his long awaited video and nobody here gave a shit. we talked about it for a day and now this thread is dead again. i think he was better off releasing hilariously bad in-game screenshots, at least that way it gave us something to chuckle over every day. video is out, same chuckle. thread almost drops off the page. honestly you should have kept that religious nutjob because her antics kept us all talking (and laughing).
be serious no matter what he put out on the freebeeware he's using now was never going to get anything going on this website. No matter what happened, he was going to get mocked and ridiculed. Of course he brought this on himself, but he's never ever going to win here again or even be accepted here anymore.

He just has to keep plugging away and see what happens. Chances are nothing, but what the fuck else has he got to lose in the gaming industry, he's already at the lowest possible point he could be at.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
be serious no matter what he put out on the freebeeware he's using now was never going to get anything going on this website. No matter what happened, he was going to get mocked and ridiculed. Of course he brought this on himself, but he's never ever going to win here again or even be accepted here anymore.

He just has to keep plugging away and see what happens. Chances are nothing, but what the fuck else has he got to lose in the gaming industry, he's already at the lowest possible point he could be at.
dude, outside of the p99 board, Rerolled is almost 100% ex-Everquest community. when Brad did his little Rerolled Skeleton thing, it wasnt to slam the board or anything, it was his way of saying, "hey guys i am a cool guy too, give my game a second chance." whether brad likes it or not, this group of cynical assholes (myself included of course) is the majority of his target audience. and saying that, if brad had had any damned sense, he would never have tried to remake everquest in the first place. i would have made a kiddie video game with ducks, turtles, kittens, puppies and fuzzy bunnies having races and tea parties together.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
dude, outside of the p99 board, Rerolled is almost 100% ex-Everquest community. when Brad did his little Rerolled Skeleton thing, it wasnt to slam the board or anything, it was his way of saying, "hey guys i am a cool guy too, give my game a second chance." whether brad likes it or not, this group of cynical assholes (myself included of course) is the majority of his target audience. and saying that, if brad had had any damned sense, he would never have tried to remake everquest in the first place. i would have made a kiddie video game with ducks, turtles, kittens, puppies and fuzzy bunnies having races and tea parties together.
I don't want to speak for KCXIV, but I think he was referring less to the ex-everquest origins of this board and more to the thought that the community here is so biased against Brad at this point that the best he can hope for is a tepid response, regardless of what he releases. And please don't take that to mean he didn't earn all of that bias with his kickstarter and "first dev team mutiny" shenanigans. A lot of constructive criticism was offered by the folks here that was all summarily ignored while he drove the P:ROTF train off the tracks. But, probably like KCXIV, I had the same thought that I am not sure what he could produce at this point that wouldn't be met with derision from this board. He would probably have to square things with the old team, sell off all his extraneous possessions to fund the project and display a near finished game to get any traction here again.