Parent Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I do blame the owner

The reason I mention the pit is because it's the calling card of society's trash.

I don't want to get into the dumb pitbull argument anyways

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Son is doubling down hard on this going to sleep thing. He's back to screaming and crying if we don't sit in there for awhile, sometimes so bad we have to wait until he falls asleep.

It's a couple things. He says he's scared of something in his room but can't verbalise what it is. If you ask him "is it the dark? YEAH. "Is it the sound maker ?" YEAH. "Is it daddy ?" YEAH. He also complains about bugs and bumble bees specifically. In the dead of winter in new England.

Doctor said it's relatively normal as around this age they start to develop fears and imagination. It sucks because we just crossed this hurdle several months back but now he's back into it again.

I know what people will say - just leave him and let him cry. Won't work. If he starts screaming hell wake up the 6 month old and if that dude is awake it is way harder to get him down again.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
My son went through that. I'd have to sit in his room until he fell asleep but then he would wake up in the middle of the night and calling out for me because he expected me to stay in there the whole night.

We finally solved it by telling him I had to go do work and I'd be back to check on him. So started a couple of minutes, then stretched it longer and longer. It seemed to work. He would mostly stay in bed, sometimes would get out and I'd just pick him up and put him back in bed and tell him I'll come check on him in a few minutes. As long as he was calm, I'd wait longer and longer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My son went through that. I'd have to sit in his room until he fell asleep but then he would wake up in the middle of the night and calling out for me because he expected me to stay in there the whole night.

We finally solved it by telling him I had to go do work and I'd be back to check on him. So started a couple of minutes, then stretched it longer and longer. It seemed to work. He would mostly stay in bed, sometimes would get out and I'd just pick him up and put him back in bed and tell him I'll come check on him in a few minutes. As long as he was calm, I'd wait longer and longer.
That worked before but so far this time it isn't working except once. I told him I needed to sit with bis brother because he was sick and he said ok. Hadn't worked except that one time though.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
That worked before but so far this time it isn't working except once. I told him I needed to sit with bis brother because he was sick and he said ok. Hadn't worked except that one time though.

We had a set back after Christmas. I was sick with a fever the Wednesday before Christmas and he went to my mom's to two nights and then my wife's mom for two nights to try and prevent him from getting sick. At the Grandma's they sleep in the same bed with him. He ended up getting a stomach bug before Christmas and I got that from him two days after Xmas. So he was completely out of his routine and now he wants me to sit in his room again. Threw lots of tantrums over it.

I ended up leaving the light on in his room and making deals with him. Like I'll sit in his room for a few minutes but if he throws a fit when I leave I won't do it the next night. That seems to work. Another deal is that he likes putting money in his piggy bank and I'll tell him if he stays in bed he can put some money in the next morning.

So far it seems to be working.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
With my youngest I have a camera that I can speak through in his room. I straight up tell him to go back to sleep through the camera and he usually listens. I've been really fortunate with the sleeping though, both of my kids have slept great for the most part. Have you tried giving him a flashlight? My oldest son really ate it up when I gave him one. He almost got too independent with it because he peed his bed one time when he was like 3-4 and attempted to change his own bed and clothes using the flashlight. The fitted sheet threw him for a loop though and he had to come wake us up.

• 1Worf

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Daughter didn't want to sleep alone when we got her a bed. Did the lie on the floor, reducing time each day.

Oh it also helped she is a girl, so she got a little fairy door and Tinker Bell checked on her in her sleep too.

Took about 2 months.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My daughter is a little over 11 months now, she still wakes up a couples tines a night but just needs a little reassurance/cuddle and will go right back to sleep. For the last 4+ months we'll just put her in bed between us when she wakes up after we've gone to bed. Usually this is somewhere between 12 and 2. She's usually good after that besides any more than normal teething pain. The crib is still in our bedroom but will be moving her to her own room in about a month. I'm sure the wife will stress out about it.

Speaking of teeth, she has at least 10 now with a couple more on the way. We can pretty much give her a whole apple and let her go to town.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
2.5 years you say Noodle? Our younger kid is that age and she goes to sleep very reluctantly to put it mildly.

She's calling for one of us (usually daddy) at least five times because she needs to drink. She then takes the tiniest sip of water out of the cup, almost not measurable. And then she sits there and gives you that grin. The "Look daddy I made you come and give me the cup haha that was funny" grin. Then you put on the stern voice and tell her that that's it for tonight and go the fuck to sleep. She'll lie down and be a happy kid and go to sleep.

Until five minutes later when she does it again.

It's just a phase. It's just a phase. It's just a phase.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My daughter is a little over 11 months now, she still wakes up a couples tines a night but just needs a little reassurance/cuddle and will go right back to sleep. For the last 4+ months we'll just put her in bed between us when she wakes up after we've gone to bed. Usually this is somewhere between 12 and 2. She's usually good after that besides any more than normal teething pain. The crib is still in our bedroom but will be moving her to her own room in about a month. I'm sure the wife will stress out about it.

Speaking of teeth, she has at least 10 now with a couple more on the way. We can pretty much give her a whole apple and let her go to town.

Got an 11 months daughter as well, and we moved her out of the room in the 3rd month. Our doctor managed to convince the mother... and it went better instantly, she would wake up 2-4 times every night when sleeping with us, and since then she's been waking up once or twice a week. At the moment she can't sleep with us. If we try to put her in our bed, she immediately start playing and won't sleep. Anyway I'm glad I have a good doctor, who walked us through stopping to feed her at night and how to have her sleep a full night. At 3 months she wouldn't need feeding at night and very rarely woke up at night, and I certainly wouldn't have managed to do that on my own.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Got an 11 months daughter as well, and we moved her out of the room in the 3rd month. Our doctor managed to convince the mother... and it went better instantly, she would wake up 2-4 times every night when sleeping with us, and since then she's been waking up once or twice a week. At the moment she can't sleep with us. If we try to put her in our bed, she immediately start playing and won't sleep. Anyway I'm glad I have a good doctor, who walked us through stopping to feed her at night and how to have her sleep a full night. At 3 months she wouldn't need feeding at night and very rarely woke up at night, and I certainly wouldn't have managed to do that on my own.
We stopped feeding at night around 5 or 6 months and I tried to get the wife on board to improve self-soothing, but she couldn't handle the screams. As far as crib in the same room, we just followed the current recommendations in the US. I don't mind it or the cosleeping, just don't want to make the transitions any more painful than they have to be.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
We stopped feeding at night around 5 or 6 months and I tried to get the wife on board to improve self-soothing, but she couldn't handle the screams. As far as crib in the same room, we just followed the current recommendations in the US. I don't mind it or the cosleeping, just don't want to make the transitions any more painful than they have to be.
We never let her scream more than 10 minutes and actually rarely more than 2. It was painful... For us. It took about 2 weeks of getting in/out of her room for up to 2 hours to have her sleep. one of us would stay with her until she's calm and try to sneak out of the room. If she's protesting we stay or come back. It involved very little screaming. Our doctor told us that the trick was to have her fall asleep in her bed at all cost and not in our arms.

So it involved a lot of staying in her room with a hand on her chest... And it decreased from 2 hours to now 30 seconds sometimes.

Also when the baby is in your room you tend to jump on her as soon as she makes a noise, when she would in fact get back to sleep on her own 30 seconds later. I was told that it was important to give her chance to fall back asleep on her own, if she couldn't to try to help her without taking her out of the bed and as a very last resort to take her in our arms.

It is insanely exhausting for a couple of weeks as getting her to sleep in her bed takes much much more time than taking her in your arms and putting her back when asleep but it's much easier afterwards

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
We never let her scream more than 10 minutes and actually rarely more than 2. It was painful... For us. It took about 2 weeks of getting in/out of her room for up to 2 hours to have her sleep. one of us would stay with her until she's calm and try to sneak out of the room. If she's protesting we stay or come back. It involved very little screaming. Our doctor told us that the trick was to have her fall asleep in her bed at all cost and not in our arms.

So it involved a lot of staying in her room with a hand on her chest... And it decrease d from 2 hours to now 30 seconds sometimes.

Also when the baby is in your room you tend to jump on her as soon as she makes a noise, when she would in fact get back to sleep on her own 30 seconds later. I was told that it was important to give her chance to fall back asleep on her own, if she couldn't to try to help her without taking her out of the bed and as a very last resort to take her in our arms.

It is insanely exhausting for a couple of weeks as getting her to sleep in her bed takes much much more time than taking her in your arms and putting her back when asleep but it's much easier afterwards
Our pediatrician's recommendation is pretty much what you posted. It was a little tough, but the wife had trouble making it to 10 minutes. We have a monitor over her crib, and the bedroom is on the opposite side of the house. We make sure to see if she'll put herself down. She will on occasion, but it's definitely the exception. She's been getting a little better though, much more mellow around bedtime.

Other than going to sleep and a huge stubborn streak, she's a ton of fun.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oldest woke up at 10pm wheezing and unable to breathe. Actually I nearly had a heart attack because he didn't go to bed sick. He sounded like he could barely get any air. I got panicked enough that we took him to the ER. It just turned out to be croup, so they gave him some steroid, a mist mask, and some Tylenol for a slight fever. The bill will be absurd but damn I near had my heart go out on me.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
That's the scariest fucking thing in the world, waking up and your kid sounding like he can't breathe.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Oldest woke up at 10pm wheezing and unable to breathe. Actually I nearly had a heart attack because he didn't go to bed sick. He sounded like he could barely get any air. I got panicked enough that we took him to the ER. It just turned out to be croup, so they gave him some steroid, a mist mask, and some Tylenol for a slight fever. The bill will be absurd but damn I near had my heart go out on me.

I feel you on this. THIS is the scariest thing ever. Have your doctor write you out a script for asthma. Your insurance will cover the nebulizer and the meds that go in it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He's going to the Dr today for a follow up. After the ER he was 80% better

Dad's gotta be strong but that shot scared me to my core