Parent Thread

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
He's going to the Dr today for a follow up. After the ER he was 80% better

Dad's gotta be strong but that shot scared me to my core

Yeah...having that neublizer in the house eases that anxiety. The savings alone vs the ER visits is worth it alone.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah...having that neublizer in the house eases that anxiety. The savings alone vs the ER visits is worth it alone.
As a mouth-breathing Asthmatic, I concur. I fear EVERY time my kids get sick that they'll be diagnosed with asthma. After the second bout of nebulizing the kids we had the doctor write the prescription for our own, and I have my own albuterol-type-medication (ProAir), so in an emergency I can give them that. The situation would have to be dire though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The steroid shot helped a lot. Gonna have to see how tonight goes though. Doctor couldn't get him in until tomorrow because of all the kids coming in with the flu (vaccines anyone??)

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The steroid shot helped a lot. Gonna have to see how tonight goes though. Doctor couldn't get him in until tomorrow because of all the kids coming in with the flu (vaccines anyone??)
Wife amd daughter got the vaccine and both have the flu right now

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
They hit up the doctors office though? I guess that part I don't understand
I mean, yes? Daughter had a fever yesterday. Took her to the doca this AM and flu test came back pos. Wife hasn't gone to the docs, but assume she has the flu since the kiddo does.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I heard something about them guessing the wrong strain(s?) would be prevalent this year, so the vaccine isn't terribly effective... *shrug*

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I heard something about them guessing the wrong strain(s?) would be prevalent this year, so the vaccine isn't terribly effective... *shrug*

Yep. Notes went out to parents from schools in my town. Even if you got the shot, if your kid shows any symptoms...stay home.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The hospitals here are on flu lock-down. Only one person at a time can visit people in the hospital, and emergency rooms have mandatory face masks to put on. The flu is really bad this year.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If only people at work would do the same.

I heard an old dude hacking up a lung bitching today because he wouldn't of gotten sick had everyone else stayed home. Yet here he is. Would be sweet if all employers actually gave you adequate PTO to stay home the full week you supposedly need to be non-contagious. But no one does and the ones that do will penalize you for using it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We don't get a ton, but I've never heard of anyone being punished. Granted we're only ~200 people, and pretty good about work/life balance stuff.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
We don't get a ton, but I've never heard of anyone being punished. Granted we're only ~200 people, and pretty good about work/life balance stuff.

Most of the places I've worked you either have to do the whole doctors note thing if you are sick more than 2 days in a row or they don't delineate sick from vacation (it's all PTO) in which case no one wants to use more sick than they have to. In either case you wind up with most people just staying home the 1 or 2 days they feel the shittiest and coming in spreading the germs the rest of the days.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I recently had a debate about this at work. I was sick and did what alavaz said, took a couple days off when I felt like crap and then went into the office. I did at least keep to my desk the rest of the week and warned anyone that got within 10 feet of me. My coworker in the next cube over, who I carpool with, was worse off than me but never took a day off. I refused to carpool with him that week and asked why he didn't stay home. His reason, "I don't have a fever *cougghh*, *haack*".

So at our team meeting he suggested we be allowed to work from home if we're sick but feeling well enough to work. In the end we were told to just take days off if we're sick but his excuse was that he was saving flex days. So, since he wants more 'vacation' time he's willing to just show up to work regardless of how he feels. There are cases for both ways but in reality, who is going to take days off if they feel OK but are still contagious.

Maybe everyone should just suck it up and wear a mask during cold/flu season.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Jesus. Not to derail into the "jobs" thread, but there is the expectation that you work remotely if you're contagious and feel up to working. If you don't feel like working... you take sick leave and be a useless pile of shit.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Jesus. Not to derail into the "jobs" thread, but there is the expectation that you work remotely if you're contagious and feel up to working. If you don't feel like working... you take sick leave and be a useless pile of shit.

Telecommuting is a no go for those of us who work on classified networks. It's an option I also miss but it could be a hassle at my last job.Tech and creative companies tend to get it, but with most other places it just seems to fly over their heads. You either get managers who inherently hate it because they only know how to work verbally and in person or you get horrible telecommuters who ruin it for everyone else because they can't ever figure out how to dial in to meetings, don't pick up their phone when they are called (because they didn't forward it) or do some other shit to give the perception that they aren't working.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My work is cracking down on people that "just decide" to work from home. Sick? Take PTO. Sick for while? Get a doctor's note. I'm going to miss the personal responsibility and freedom that afforded you. I've had nights where I've gotten barely any sleep and working from home is much better than getting dressed and driving in. BUT at the same time, I can't remember the last time I used up my sick time, let alone my vacation time, sooooo, I guess they'll just be getting less productivity out of me?

On the flip side, now that I'm a manager, I understand the enforcement. One of my underlings is this walking bag of germs and malady. Fine one day, out sick the next, fine and back in the office the next day. Has back, foot, and knee issues. Has been out multiple times just to repair his car. He has already used up his sick time for the fiscal year that ends in July. Now he's pissed that he's going to have to carpool with wife instead of working from home when his car needs repair.

I know I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, I have tons of unused PTO time and I don't mind using vacation time when I'm sick because I like my house. But I also don't see what the proper middle ground is. I'd like to be able to trust people to work from home, but I know myself, I am not as efficient when working from home, and I bill appropriately.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
15 days a year, plus the Christmas shutdown.

I probably won't last in this industry. It's so very dated. They we're telling us today they can't even hire fresh grads because they don't want to work in defense. Don't blame them either.