Parent Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
15 days a year, plus the Christmas shutdown.

I probably won't last in this industry. It's so very dated. They we're telling us today they can't even hire fresh grads because they don't want to work in defense. Don't blame them either.
That's funny, I keep looking at a defense contractor as my next jump, but I'm not a new grad.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Eh, with my experience I'd end up working with their commercial/enterprise clients.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It's more about who the customer is than the actual contracting company. I've mostly worked directly with military at their sites so I've gotten to build some cool shit and go to some cool places. It's a trade off though, my day-to-day satisfaction is high but I sacrifice in other places like pretty shitty health benefits, a very very mediocre 401k matching plan and almost no shot at a meaningful raise without switching jobs.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
So is mine. Good clients and good company, not affected by CRs and have really good pay. Except you know contract is yearly and cam change an instant. Or the SES I support can move on at any time and his replacent can be shit. Double that for the compamy side too

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I make around $100k as a software engineer. Although.. the coding is slower here and way less involved.

It pays more than my previous job did and is way closer (like, 2 hours closer depending on Boston traffic). However, as previously stated health benefits are terrible, there are no real perks to the job (can't bring classified work home), no pension, etc. They don't be able to recruit good candidates unless they upgrade because people can just work in a tech city making more with way better perks. My friend works at Google and gets catered lunch everyday.. that's enough to sell me

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Hmm, may have to see what Google has around here then in a few months. Back on a certs kick. Learning a couple different VOIP architectures, and I want to get my CCNA then JNCIP and CCNP for funsies and resume clickbait.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm moving towards exploit development, I've been "learning assembly" for like 2 months. It's a slog. I've learned enough C in the meantime to read it, but I've been slacking on keeping up with vulns coming out. And what a time to slack. On top of that I have a bunch of new tools to learn for the new job.

Also, teaching my kids python and scratch, which sucks because it's really work for me. But whatever, need to get them situated. Bought a book from No Starch last weekend on using python for some minecraft shit, going to let them work on a small server and then build out from there. I've never played minecraft but they love it. I bought my oldest the Kano laptop kit for Christmas and she loves it, it has some similar stuff for teaching basic computer stuff and coding. This is just another level, and also something I can teach her and her sister at the same time.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
They're always trying to get more people with dev experience. If you want it, you can for sure get it.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So does anyone have any good potty training resources for kids under and around 3 years old? Any success stories? How long did it ultimately take to get your kid(s) reliably trained during the day?

Doing really good at home, but daycare isn't holding up their end of the bargain.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
The daycare we use is pretty good about trying hard for potty training. They push it because at one point, I think the 4 year class, they require the kids be potty trained. So, in the 3 year class they push the agenda daily. When my son was around 3 he would wee as long as we took him to the bathroom at regular intervals but would refuse to poop. He would hold it in if I kept him on the toilet and as soon as the pull up was on, boom. Even if I kept him on the toilet for 30 minutes he would hold it somehow. We tried the candy bribe where every time he went, he would get a favorite candy but he wouldn't do it for poop.

We ended up having to just suck it up and let him have accidents. We got him his big boy underwear, which he was excited about, and warned the daycare that we were going hardcore. They agreed and we took the diapers from daycare. We left wipes for the inevitable accidents. Sure enough almost every day he would shit his pants and they would clean him up and send home the pants in a bag. My wife was going mad withing having to clean shit from his pants daily but after two weeks he just randomly stopped. Since then he's been fine, two years and maybe one pee accident. We got lucky with night time though. He's never had an accident in bed even though he drinks water before sleep and keeps a cup of water in his room.

Now if we could just get his toilet aim down to we'll be golden...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Son tried twice to start potty training and now he tells us "I do not want to use the potty" all day

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user