Parent Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Learned a lesson over the past couple of months. My middle daughter started having accidents. They always seemed to be tied to gaming/electronics, like she was so into the game or whatever that she just zoned out and shit herself. At least, that was the assumption we made because of her prior behavior issues. My wife and I were trying to keep it cool and not make it a big deal, figured that would make it worse, but once or twice we definitely did. So this started to become a daily thing, and I'm reading all kinds of stuff on the internet, and almost nothing out there talks about behavior/regression related to this kind of thing, it is almost all about constipation in kids. Which to me did not make sense, because she had never complained about being constipated and when we asked her if it hurt etc she said no. So yeah, turns out, it was constipation the whole time, issue resolved now. Second kid we've had issues with constipation with, manifested in different ways. It's hard to say what I should have done differently. I tried talking to her, and she was embarrassed (of course) but didn't indicate anything was wrong, and it wasn't unbelievable given her previous issues. idk, it is something for me to consider going forward I guess.

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
The wife gave birth to our first on may 2nd. It has been an utterly exhausting two weeks but couldn’t imagine life without this little guy now.

5C2EDC5A-9C5B-4E85-8684-5AF0B2967F9C.jpeg

• 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Daughter just got her first period, I say too soon but I think I would say that at any age. Wish me luck...

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Did you announce it to people you know? Not kidding...

My brother-in-law did that for some reason and it seems weird to me. After being on the phone for a while, my wife said she was talking to her brother and niece. They called to say she started her period. I guess I'm old fashioned or they're weird but I thought it was pretty odd to call around to the family and let them know. /shurg. As far as I know my 43 year old sister never got her period. I somehow managed to be oblivious because it wasn't announced and she didn't run around with tampons in my face.

• 1Worf

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Hellicopter moms pissing me off with their micromanagement at parks. Tons in Portland.

Let the kids play, gotdamn.

Let them Lord of the Flies it out. Stop directing how kids should play.

My kid is playing "power rangers" with kids 2yrs older than him. Some rowdy kid beatin up my kid, but my kid keeps goin back for more. Moms would rather break it up, I would not. So instead of the kids beatin eachother up and letting me get alone time with my comp, I have to micromanage my kid too.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
We dont allow shit talking in grown up forum. Surely we dont allow sideways pics here either, right? I mean, come the fuck on -- sideways pics demand shit talking.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
How do you guys deal with the death of a pet when telling a toddler? My parents had to put their dog to sleep Friday due to renal failure and my son is going over to their house later this week. Not sure what the right way is tell him. I hate taking away his innocence but I'm not sure I want to lie to him either. I thought about when he brings up why is the dog not here, that she was and old and sick and she died and go from there. At least everything I've read online says to be honest with them and don't use euphemism like went to sleep.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
My girls were just over three when their grandfather passed. They already had some experience with what death is, as their grandmother had died about three years earlier and we would tell them about her and mix in some yeah she’s dead yadda yadda.

We’ve done a mix of honesty with our own beliefs. We told them that something sad happened, that their grandfather had died, and they asked if it was like their grandmother. We said yes, they were more interested in what happens, so we explained the funeral and the cemetary which they already knew about. I think we brought them to the viewing and they got to touch his hand to feel it was cold.

But yeah, the basic you die and go to heaven is what they know. We aren’t religious so they don’t know much about Jesus other than a couple of videos they’ve watched about Christmas and Easter. We haven’t explained the concept of Hell and be good or when you die you go there... Santa Clause has that handled fairly well.

I’d have to say that being very logical is good, they don’t seem to have the propensity for a big emotional attachment that gets destroyed. Managing my kids expectations has also bode well, I’d tell him before going over there. Explain the right thing to do, offer hugs etc to the owners, teach him to show compassion.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
How do you guys deal with the death of a pet when telling a toddler? My parents had to put their dog to sleep Friday due to renal failure and my son is going over to their house later this week. Not sure what the right way is tell him. I hate taking away his innocence but I'm not sure I want to lie to him either. I thought about when he brings up why is the dog not here, that she was and old and sick and she died and go from there. At least everything I've read online says to be honest with them and don't use euphemism like went to sleep.
Had to put our cat to sleep recently. All three kids dealt with it really well. We didnt use any euphemisms, we explained exactly what the vet did. We dug a grave in the field and buried him together. They cried but I think letting them work through the process (saying goodbye before the vet, burying him together after) helped.

I didnt give a crap about that cat, but I'll admit I choked up when the next morning my son woke up, walked outside, and picked a bunch of flowers to put on the cats grave.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I took him over this morning, right away he asked where the dog was, so I explained that she was old and very sick and that we would miss her very much. He said that she was with God in heaven. Then he asked who came and got her and I said Grandma and Grandpa took her to the animal doctor. He asked if we would see her again and I said no, he teared up a little bit but then got distracted. I stayed there about an hour before going into work and he didn't bring the dog up again.

So all things considered, I guess that went pretty well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
My Wife and I decided to do away with birth control a few months ago and 'let nature take it's course'...after a week or two of feeling pretty sick my Wife just took a test and both lines lit up. It's absolutely what we both want but, and I'm sure I'm not alone, the emotions running around my head are pretty mixed and scary right now.

It's funny how, after originally finding this site in the early 00s for Vex Thal pics when my guild were still farming ToV, I find myself breaking my daily routine of browsing the FSR to read a thread about parenthood! Where did those 15, 16 years go?!

If anyone has any websites they'd recommend or golden tips for the next few weeks and months I'd be very grateful! My Wife and I are both teachers of young children (her 3 - 4 year olds and me 6 - 7 year olds) but I'm not sure it prepared me in any way for these feelings. I also just gave up teaching and opened my own gym which, whilst it's opened well and is making solid profits, scares the hell out of me. Providing for a mortgage feels a lot different to providing for an upcoming family. The 16 hour days I'm clocking up are also going to need addressing.

I've also suddenly started dissecting just how awful a Father I had (the typical alcoholic, abusive, cut contact with him a decade ago etc) and panicking about the cycle repeating itself as he did his Father. Cards on the table, after celebrating all night and my Wife going to bed I found myself suddenly crying on the sofa (like a bitch). I was always pretty sure it was the girl that was meant to experience hormonal moments. My Wife is one of those women just born to be a Mother and making sure I don't let her down is at the forefront of my brain.

From what I've already read it feels like these first few months involve heavy self-reflection whilst simultaneously prioritising the Mum's stress levels, emotions etc. I'm just amazed at the realisation that my Wife is growing someone inside of her, just amazing. I've always really admired her but it's on a completely different level.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Animale

Trakanon Raider
If anyone has any websites they'd recommend or golden tips for the next few weeks and months I'd be very grateful!

Find a Daddy Boot camp and attend it (probably at month 6-8 of the pregnancy)

Get "Happiest Baby on the Block" Video and watch it with your wife (again, at about month 6-8 of pregnancy).

Two best things I did pre-birth to prep for later. The birth classes were largely bullshit for the dad, probably good for the mother but the stuff is all lady focused since they are doing the hard stuff.

• 1Like