Parent Thread

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
So a question for you folks with multiple children.

I have a 2.5 year old daughter who is the most important thing in the world to me. Just having her helped pull me out of a deep depression and got me to seek the help I needed. Now we are having our second child, and my question is how can you love anyone as much as the first one. Is it just like a switch that flips when they are born? Or do you have favorites, like I just don't get how it works.

Your love will be different as it’s a different person. You can have more than one friend you care about right? And yeah you might have a favorite. That’s okay. Just don’t let it affect the kids.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
image.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

I have a 2.5 year old daughter who is the most important thing in the world to me. Just having her helped pull me out of a deep depression and got me to seek the help I needed. Now we are having our second child, and my question is how can you love anyone as much as the first one. Is it just like a switch that flips when they are born? Or do you have favorites, like I just don't get how it works.
3 kids here. Each one is really different. Its like I love each of them the most in their own category.
"youre my favorite borderline autistic little computer geek with a random sense of humor"
"youre my favorite little irrepressable mischief maker"
etc.

Unrelated -- every tyen posts these social media babysitter ad things I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone. Cant wrap my head around it. Whatever happened to your babysitter being your neighbor's teenage daughter?

Is this a common thing now to solicit random babysitters over some social media app?

Nija

<Silver Donator>

Your capacity increases. You don't have to ration. Hard to believe, I know, but you'll find out soon enough.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
3 kids here. Each one is really different. Its like I love each of them the most in their own category.
"youre my favorite borderline autistic little computer geek with a random sense of humor"
"youre my favorite little irrepressable mischief maker"
etc.

Unrelated -- every tyen posts these social media babysitter ad things I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone. Cant wrap my head around it. Whatever happened to your babysitter being your neighbor's teenage daughter?

Is this a common thing now to solicit random babysitters over some social media app?

Social media app is for babysitters. Its called UrbanSitter

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
My wife delivered our first this past Saturday. What an amazing experience these first few days have been. I love this little guy more and more every time I see him, and I feel more in love and closer with my wife than I ever have. The support from our family, friends, and coworkers has been truly amazing and I’ve never felt so fortunate or happy to be alive. Good times :)

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
My wife delivered our first this past Saturday. What an amazing experience these first few days have been. I love this little guy more and more every time I see him, and I feel more in love and closer with my wife than I ever have. The support from our family, friends, and coworkers has been truly amazing and I’ve never felt so fortunate or happy to be alive. Good times :)

Just wait until your child gets a personality. It is mind-bottling. It happens again when you realize they're a little person, too.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
That is awesome Volto! My son is 10 now and I still remember the day he was born. Good times ahead.

Yesterday I was in a shitty mood. I'm trying to cut a little bit of weight for summer so I was hungry and tired.
Went upstairs to my office and shut the door.
My 5 year old daughter knocks
Me in my pissed off voice.. "What...."
"Can I come in Daddy?
"No. I'm working"
"Ok I love you. Bye bye"

She came back up later because "I just wanted to give you a hug"

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My middle child is the middlest child that ever middle childed. She's moody, anti-social, but craving friendship connections, and mildly depressed. She's now in grade 9, and the last 4 years at school have been crap for her. She started making some connections on her soccer team earlier in the school year, but that didn't pan out at all. She's also in one of the school choirs, and they had a concert last weekend. The whole choir celebrated her as one of the inspirations to do everything they do. Today I listened to her tell me that she seems to be figuring out the importance of making friends, and how great connecting with people at school is.

If you don't have an antisocial child, the enormity of this might be hard to grasp. But here, for the first time since becoming nearly adult, this kid is seeing the value of community, is having a good time with people her own age, and looks forward to seeing people at school every day. This is huge. And it is so healthy for her. And I'm just delighted, and I wanted to share.

Being lonely when you're an adult is tough. Being lonely in a school situation when you're 14 sucks hard. She's working through it.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fantastic news Dirk! Really glad to hear she's working through it like a champ!

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My middle child is the middlest child that ever middle childed. She's moody, anti-social, but craving friendship connections, and mildly depressed. She's now in grade 9, and the last 4 years at school have been crap for her. She started making some connections on her soccer team earlier in the school year, but that didn't pan out at all. She's also in one of the school choirs, and they had a concert last weekend. The whole choir celebrated her as one of the inspirations to do everything they do. Today I listened to her tell me that she seems to be figuring out the importance of making friends, and how great connecting with people at school is.

If you don't have an antisocial child, the enormity of this might be hard to grasp. But here, for the first time since becoming nearly adult, this kid is seeing the value of community, is having a good time with people her own age, and looks forward to seeing people at school every day. This is huge. And it is so healthy for her. And I'm just delighted, and I wanted to share.

Being lonely when you're an adult is tough. Being lonely in a school situation when you're 14 sucks hard. She's working through it.

I have a sister that is a definitive middle child as well. Not to curse your child's growth, but beware of her totally flipping and dropping all of her friends because of something insubstantial. A small failure, or even one of those friends making a mild joke at their expense. It's amazing how fragile that persona can be. She'll grow strong friendships with very select few that don't tolerate her bullshit. "they're sensitive", no, other people are. My sister is a good friend because I tell her to shut the fuck up while everyone else feels like they're on eggshells around her. Again, not trying to make any assumptions about your daughter, just sharing my personal experiences with that type of person. I hope she grows up as a fully functioning, normal person, unlike my sister who was coddled, and fucked up mentally by our father and the rest of our sisters.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You have some good points, but my middle isn't coddled. If she flips and flops, she gets called out on it. She's not quite so fragile as you describe. She'll have her troubles socially, but I suspect she'll end up quite fine.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
My son (like me) isn’t a people person per se, but sports and video games with his friends keeps him social enough.

Wife and I went on an eight day cruise (25th anniversary) and she was worried about him being lonely... I laughed - she asked him when we got back and he just looked at her like “seriously? I mean, sure I missed you guys, but lonely?”