Parent Thread

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My oldest son was the same way about listening. He heard but it was very very hard to get him to understand a lot of things. He did grow out of it by 5-6. I always stuck to any consequences I laid out, and made my wife do the same. Some times we over did it out of anger but that was a learning opportunity for us. I made very sure he knew that he was free to make his own choices but that there would be consequences for them.

My youngest is different. He is rambunctious and always willing to do something stupid, but oddly listens very very well. He does something he's. Not supposed to, we tell him no and next time there will be consequences and 95% of the time that's all it takes. He's very straightforward where as my older son is a loop hole finder.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Even if a punishment was dished out from frustration etc. I would never admit or apologize to the child - because it did not come from nowhere - however do follow up with a discussion about why they got punished etc. and always be on the same page with your spouse in front of the kids.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This kid never stops smiling. This'll last until she's a teenager, right?!? All smooth sailing until 13?

26118.jpeg

25641.jpeg

25560.jpeg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I wish, my 2.5 year old is already starting to put off an attitude. Thankfully she offsets it with some pretty damn adorable stuff.

• 2Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have four teenagers and a ten year old. Mostly their attitude is okay. But the eye rolling is out of fucking control.

• 5Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Wife’s 13 year old niece tells her that a guy (same age) tried to finger her in a stairwell. Haven’t reminded her yet about the girl I fingered in drama class in 10th grade, the girl was a freshman, 13 or 14.

She went on to get married and her and her husband both ended up on Jeopardy.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wife’s 13 year old niece tells her that a guy (same age) tried to finger her in a stairwell. Haven’t reminded her yet about the girl I fingered in drama class in 10th grade, the girl was a freshman, 13 or 14.

When my wife's brother was around 17 or something, he came into the kitchen where I was talking with my wife and her mother. He then goes on in great deal about the HJ he just received from the girl he was dating (his first one). He then said something about how her hands were really dry and it sucked.

Wife and mother are actually responding to him, meanwhile I'm sitting here wondering who the hell overshares this much with their parents!

• 1Like
  • 1Cringe

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
My youngest is 8. and small consequences are the end of the fucking world for him. Blown WAY out of proportion.

Like I tell him "Keep getting frustrated with that game, and you lose it today" and he extrapolates it to either 1) He never, ever gets to play the game ever again, or 2) He gets NO video games at all for the day. This is just one example of many. We are very careful to provide the limits of the punishment, but I think shit just goes and goes and goes in his hyper little head.

I tell this story, because a funny one popped up:

I told him if he was going to have a bad attitude, he needed to go have it in his room. Also added that when he had a better attitude, he could come out. His response? "But Dad, I'm going to be very mad for a very long time. WEEKS! I'm going to have to poop this week!"

The second his door shut I lost my shit laughing. (Of course I went in a little later and explained he could go to the bathroom quietly)

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider

So this was consentual/ended without becoming rapey?

I dont see the big freakout (is there one?) if he was the same age really.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
So this was consentual/ended without becoming rapey?

I dont see the big freakout (is there one?) if he was the same age really.

She supposedly didn’t let it happen, not rapey or anything. No freak out on our end, but I also don’t think my wife told her sister.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
She supposedly didn’t let it happen, not rapey or anything. No freak out on our end, but I also don’t think my wife told her sister.
Then it was some dude who got shot down. Someone should buy that kid a chocolate milk and explain this shit is going to happen a lot

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>

Screenshot_20180831-151531_Chrome.jpg

I'm not going to survive her teenage years.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Watching Scooby Do with 5yo and he hears the word "warehouse." He asked me if they are real. I said yes. Wide-eyed he said, how does that work? Person gets bit by a wolf and then turn into a house? "werehouse" everybody. ..

• 2Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like I tell him "Keep getting frustrated with that game, and you lose it today" and he extrapolates it to either 1) He never, ever gets to play the game ever again, or

Your wording does not indicate the returning of the game. You might be raising a lawyer.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watching Scooby Do with 5yo and he hears the word "warehouse." He asked me if they are real. I said yes. Wide-eyed he said, how does that work? Person gets bit by a wolf and then turn into a house? "werehouse" everybody. ..

The one thing I am taking away from this story is that your son has not yet played any video game including warehouses. Which I find to be criminally neglected. Someone mind calling CPS on him?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord