Parent Thread

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Had a kid (first one) back end of April. What a long strange trip it's been so far. Waited until our mid-30's to do it, and really glad we waited but the kid is so awesome I wouldn't have had any issues having them sooner. Every day he does something hilarious, and if the next is as easy as this one I'm all for having more. Kid never cries or fusses really, and laughs and baby talks 24/7 now (kind of annoying during football games).

He hasn't pooped in like 6 days and is breastfed with a little food mixed in (avo, sweet potato, peas etc)... I guess this is normal? I thought about miralax to help him out, but he doesn't seem to be in distress or anything (his stomach is rock hard though). He's not crying and still sleeps like normal but his farts smell absolutely putrid. Tips?

And pic for reference

IMG_1193.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So I did this.

My son was getting picked on at the start of the school year. I told him you have to stand up for yourself. You can’t let people treat you like that. They were taking his glasses and giving 5 stars on his back.

So......He pimp smacks the bully. Then one of the bullies friends tries to shank my son with a pencil in the back. No puncture wound but a good cut. Pencil broke on impact. It then turned into 3 vs 1 and my son got them all to the ground. Then it was broken up by school staff.

Round 2,

A week later same bullies are messing with a girl my son likes. He delivers a solid right cross. Fight over.

Lunch detention two days in a row.

Solid results and detention was worth it. I told him in front of school staff “I am proud of you. Sometimes you just need to punch someone in the face”.
Proud for the first story but I need some context on round 2. Sounds like he just beat them up.for picking on someone

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
As a future father id like some tips on raising kids

Hit me with your best tips

iannis

Musty Nester
You don't want to instill an irrational confidence in the child. Telling an adult is part of the solution to bullying. It's not the first and only step though. Pushing back against it is also important, it only for their self esteem. You won't out bully a bully usually. But if you don't even try to defend yourself that begins to do bad things to your psyche.

You don't want a generation all thinking they're walker Texas ranger either. Only cowboys are cowboys.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
As a future father id like some tips on raising kids

Hit me with your best tips
Teach her Russian and begin slipping diet pills into her oatmeal around puberty.

Actually serious about the russian. If you inundate her early in life, before she three or so, it will stick better. And bilingual skills, even Russian one, will help her.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We speak a second language at home, I recommend it whole heartedly. It builds language skills, develops the brain nicely, and you can tell your kids what little shits they are being in public while sounding elegant.

Also, here is an important tip for raising kids - and I believe this fully - make sure you spend some time away from your kids, too. Don't make your kids your entire life, or your marriage/relationship with your partner will suffer. Remember that there's a life before kids, a life after kids, and during kid rearing - there's a life there, too. It's important to foster that life.

Now, of course the rest of the advice is to spend as much time as is good and healthy and possible with your kids. There's no substitute for spending time with your kids.

• 1Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
Proud for the first story but I need some context on round 2. Sounds like he just beat them up.for picking on someone

Same bullies that were messing with him were picking on a girl he is friends with. He simply stood up for her.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
There's a local case going on here right now where a big kid was bullying a little kid. The little kid's dad taught him to punch, and the little kid broke the big bully's nose in front of the whole school. Bully's parents are now trying to sue little kid for premeditated against their son. Judge heard the arguments and said something like "if your [big bully] son wasn't such a bastard, little kid wouldn't have had to stick up for himself."
Charges all dropped, big bully kid kicked out of his school after nearly 20 other kids came forward with evidence of bullying. Now big bully kid has the option to home school or go to the military service school here.
Miraculously, the parents are choosing not to home school.

I think this is a good example of how things can go well. But what if the little kid went after him, and the big bully just plain beat him until he was concussed? There can be permanent damage with this kind of shit. My kids are all small, they get it from their mom. I'm a decent sized dude - 6'1" and 185 pounds. Mom is 5'1" and 110 pounds. Smart people are far more scared of her than me.

Parenting is simple, isn't it?

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Same bullies that were messing with him were picking on a girl he is friends with. He simply stood up for her.
Looks like assault to me. Just saying man you might want to be careful with that.

Seems like he learned beating someone's ass was ok but didn't learn about self defense

Hosix

All labs matter!
Looks like assault to me. Just saying man you might want to be careful with that.

Seems like he learned beating someone's ass was ok but didn't learn about self defense

By the letter of the law? Yes. But not a judge in the state of AZ would hear that case. Cause not county attorney would waste the paper filing it. Don’t pick on people cause you are a dick.

There's a local case going on here right now where a big kid was bullying a little kid. The little kid's dad taught him to punch, and the little kid broke the big bully's nose in front of the whole school. Bully's parents are now trying to sue little kid for premeditated against their son. Judge heard the arguments and said something like "if your [big bully] son wasn't such a bastard, little kid wouldn't have had to stick up for himself."
Charges all dropped, big bully kid kicked out of his school after nearly 20 other kids came forward with evidence of bullying. Now big bully kid has the option to home school or go to the military service school here.
Miraculously, the parents are choosing not to home school.

I think this is a good example of how things can go well. But what if the little kid went after him, and the big bully just plain beat him until he was concussed? There can be permanent damage with this kind of shit. My kids are all small, they get it from their mom. I'm a decent sized dude - 6'1" and 185 pounds. Mom is 5'1" and 110 pounds. Smart people are far more scared of her than me.

Parenting is simple, isn't it?

That first case is interesting. I’d like to read more about it. Especially when other victims of the bully come forward.

Two people can agree to fight. But you can’t just pummel someone into unconsciousness. That takes it too far and that will at least get looked at for something criminal.

As a parent I just want my kids to stand up for themselves. But I have also explained to mine it’s ok to walk away. But like hell if you will watch someone get picked on and do nothing.

Sometimes doing the wrong thing is completely right.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm not talking about now. It would suck for him to learn behavior like that and hit someone wrong and paralyze or kill them

• 1EyeRoll

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So this year for Christmas I want to do something a little different and totally surprise my boys (7 & 9) with a unique gift. I have a buddy that I think is a damn good artist, so I hired him to do a fantasy art scene for each boy. My hope is that this is something that they will grow to appreciate more and more over the years, something they can keep long after I am gone.

I told my buddy what scene I wanted for each boy. I sent him photos of each kid and he aged them into young men. I plan on getting them printed on 24" x 36" Metal. He just finished the first one and I thought I would share it with you guys. I really love how he nailed the shit eating grin of my youngest.

View attachment 183547

Here is the one for my older son, I am just debating on if I should have the artist remove the ropes on the weapons or just leave them. What do you guys think?

1544507844318.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Here is the one for my older son, I am just debating on if I should have the artist remove the ropes on the weapons or just leave them. What do you guys think?

View attachment 185622

i think you should get him a new father for Xmas.

this present is gay as hell.

• 8Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 9 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Had a kid (first one) back end of April. What a long strange trip it's been so far. Waited until our mid-30's to do it, and really glad we waited but the kid is so awesome I wouldn't have had any issues having them sooner. Every day he does something hilarious, and if the next is as easy as this one I'm all for having more. Kid never cries or fusses really, and laughs and baby talks 24/7 now (kind of annoying during football games).

He hasn't pooped in like 6 days and is breastfed with a little food mixed in (avo, sweet potato, peas etc)... I guess this is normal? I thought about miralax to help him out, but he doesn't seem to be in distress or anything (his stomach is rock hard though). He's not crying and still sleeps like normal but his farts smell absolutely putrid. Tips?

And pic for reference

View attachment 185545

mmmm... i'm not sure that is normal. Lots and lots of water might fix it. A little bit of magnesium might fix it. You might even have to do a baby enema if it doesn't resolve itself soon.

But it might be sort of normalish. I don't want to alarm you because I don't know. Doesn't -sound- horribly normal though. Sounds like he's constipated. I'm not sure i'd give a baby laxitives without talking to a pediatrician ('s office) first. I imagine it's not uncommon, just not normal. For one I wouldn't know how much to give a baby.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's well within the realm of normal for exclusively breast-fed babies. Really depends on how much 'a little food mixed in' means, but if he's getting "solid" food regularly, hasn't pooped in a week, and his stomach is rock hard, you should probably talk to his pediatrician. A stool softener might be just as important as a laxative.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Someone I know just posted this elsewhere:

47577338_1192335870914186_3564495463207927808_n.jpg

Thought I'd see what people here think about it. Yeah, I try to teach my kids to stand up to bullies, and to stop bullies wherever they see them, but I also want my kids to know to go and report bullies when the situation calls for it. This doesn't make my kids victims, it makes them responsible, I'd say.

Other thoughts?

All kids are going to get bullied and picked on in school. If you are a boy, I'm pretty much under the assumption that they WILL have to fight another kid, on at least 5 different occasions in their adolescence.

Since I have two boys, they pretty much train themselves for the most part.

In terms of non-physical bullying, my kids will be trained better than most in trolling and being able to be criticized without making a complete ass of yourself turning red in the face. Don't try to defend yourself from getting made fun of. "STOP CALLING ME A POOPFACE IM NOT A POOPFACE" then your kid comes into school with your glock the next day because he thinks he has something to prove.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>

And pic for reference

View attachment 185545

Coat a rectal thermometer with a liberal amount of petroleum jelly. Dr. Fisher instructs, "With the baby lying down with a diaper underneath, insert the tip of the rectal thermometer into the anus and twirl slowly in a circle. Remove thethermometer, and poop should come out within 24 hours."

It works

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Coat a rectal thermometer with a liberal amount of petroleum jelly. Dr. Fisher instructs, "With the baby lying down with a diaper underneath, insert the tip of the rectal thermometer into the anus and twirl slowly in a circle. Remove thethermometer, and poop should come out within 24 hours."

It works
This right here.

On the bully thing, I was bullied in gymnasium. I was used to small town school where everyone knew who your parents are, and suddenly you're in a big city and people from the other end of the county start pushing you. This went on for a year or so before I told my parents I'm no longer going to school. My mother was there first thing next day and told the teacher. The teacher gave the whole class a solid talk about bullying and that it's not okay and that someone who used to love school is now at a point where he hates school and middle of the text one of the bullies turns his head, looks at me and says "I know who talked."

Yeah that was awesome, thanks Mr. teacher.

The next time they tried to bully me, I punched the first one in the solar plexus and that was the end of it.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm just glad bullying is not a thing here. I actually once tried to high school bully a smaller kid and the principal came down on me like Judge Dredd.

I guess that's the reason we don't have a lot of bullying in normal schools - can't speak for schools in Hamtramck-type areas, though.

• 1Like

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I'm just glad bullying is not a thing here. I actually once tried to high school bully a smaller kid and the principal came down on me like Judge Dredd.

I guess that's the reason we don't have a lot of bullying in normal schools - can't speak for schools in Hamtramck-type areas, though.
Yeah well that school was in Erlangen and while we had our share of idiots it wasn't a bad school per se. I just happened to be Chubby McChubster with decent grades and they needed a target. Mind you this was pretty minor stuff, but still bad enough to hurt my young self. No broken bones or black eyes or even bruises, mostly talking, sometimes pushing, blocking you off from your locker, that sort of stuff. Taking your bag with books and failing to return them, classic bullying. Making fun of your clothes, hairstyle, whatever.

And yeah as soon as the teacher got involved he got real angry but as I said, it was very clear who talked and that didn't make things easier at first. Plus on the other hand I didn't even want anyone to be expelled, I just wanted to be left alone.

Anyway, my 6yo started school this year and I'm in the parental council or whatever you call it. The director made it very clear that bullying is not tolerated, at all, at her school. There are workshops on bullying and cyber-bullying every year, by professionals. So far so good.

That aside I make sure everyone knows I have a Stihl chainsaw, a shovel, and a sizeable forest.