Parent Thread

Nester

Vyemm Raider
After 10 years of trying with substantial medical help (5 failed IVFs ++) wife is final pregnant. 14 weeks now so feels safe enough to share.

Gonna name this baby Ferrari, cuz that’s what it cost :)

Oh god what have I done!

I am so happy to share that my daughter join the world last night. A perfect 7lbs 7oz.

What a journey...

3 days of induction that did not take, then my wife opted for the c-section. Was a blessing as they found an odd lump on her ovary and had to remove one.

At 40 I am as ready as I am going to be for this.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our law firm has free soda at work. Also free Bai waters, lacroix, Topo Chico...
a benefit to a 20 something is a serious threat to the waistline of anyone mid 30s upwards. I'm glad the only free drink at our law firm is carbonated tap water.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I am so happy to share that my daughter join the world last night. A perfect 7lbs 7oz.

What a journey...

3 days of induction that did not take, then my wife opted for the c-section. Was a blessing as they found an odd lump on her ovary and had to remove one.

At 40 I am as ready as I am going to be for this.

Grats! Keep us posted, new kid at 40 is nightmare fuel for me.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You're not ready. It's going to suck.

And yet, it's going to be awesome. Probably the best thing you've ever done.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I had my son at 40 and my daughter at 43. Tired all the time but younger parents say they are tired all the time too, so I guess it's just tiring having kids no matter what age.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I had my son at 40 and my daughter at 43. Tired all the time but younger parents say they are tired all the time too, so I guess it's just tiring having kids no matter what age.
I've noticed that as well, I thought I was getting old, but in fact parents 10 years younger than me, are just as much tired, if not more. Might be anecdotical, but younger parents around me tend to be more easily trolled by their kids...

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm tired because it's 1am and I'm reading this fucking forum. Has nothing to do with the kids.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
my wife parked our newborn in my arms this morning and took care of everything with the older one, and I slept unit 9:15am

if only all my poor life decisions were never punished like that =)

I even managed to get up without waking her.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Just back from orientation at the college of one of my oldest daughters. It was a true introduction to what life will be like for her in the fall, and while she found it exciting, it also scared the shit out of her. She's realizing how much she's going to be on her own. She'll be four hours away. No worries about academics, but no one but herself to count on for food, laundry, and the like. And she revealed what is scaring her the most: finding a community. We live in a way that is very community oriented. Our house is constantly full of people. We are often out, helping others. We put our community of friends roughly on par with family, and people know us as the type to help anyone in need. My kids have all embraced that, and have found true value in having that community surrounding you, knowing that if help is needed, it's immediately available.

She doesn't know a soul where she is going. I had a very, very long conversation (most of the four hours coming home) about how this is now her opportunity to create a new community, one that is her own. One that she chooses, and isn't imposed because she lives in our house, or she is bound by the people she sees regularly. She can make all these decisions herself. Encouraging her to make good decisions is about all I can do, and she knows that.

Something that she's not saying out loud, but is obvious, is that she is going to be four hours away from her identical twin. They're both feeling it. They have been a major part of each others identity since they were born. There is serious anxiety on both their parts about being separated. And, there is some excitement about it, too, which I believe is causing them both to feel a little guilty. They are both very strong personalities, but they play off each other.

Anyway, all of this is just musings. It's breaking my heart to watch my kids become autonomous adults. I'm so excited my kids are becoming autonomous adults. I'm going to bawl like a baby when I drop them off at college this fall, and I'll be so wicked proud of them at the same time. We have one more trip this summer where we're all going to Colorado to hike and camp together. Everyone is treating it like the end of an era kind of trip.

I predict a lot of crying at the end of summer in this house.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Friend just had a daughter. He's a career Marine. Her name? Semper. Semper Fiona [lastname]

I don't know whether to laugh or be impressed, but it has put a smile on my face.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just back from orientation at the college of one of my oldest daughters. It was a true introduction to what life will be like for her in the fall, and while she found it exciting, it also scared the shit out of her. She's realizing how much she's going to be on her own. She'll be four hours away. No worries about academics, but no one but herself to count on for food, laundry, and the like. And she revealed what is scaring her the most: finding a community. We live in a way that is very community oriented. Our house is constantly full of people. We are often out, helping others. We put our community of friends roughly on par with family, and people know us as the type to help anyone in need. My kids have all embraced that, and have found true value in having that community surrounding you, knowing that if help is needed, it's immediately available.

She doesn't know a soul where she is going. I had a very, very long conversation (most of the four hours coming home) about how this is now her opportunity to create a new community, one that is her own. One that she chooses, and isn't imposed because she lives in our house, or she is bound by the people she sees regularly. She can make all these decisions herself. Encouraging her to make good decisions is about all I can do, and she knows that.

Something that she's not saying out loud, but is obvious, is that she is going to be four hours away from her identical twin. They're both feeling it. They have been a major part of each others identity since they were born. There is serious anxiety on both their parts about being separated. And, there is some excitement about it, too, which I believe is causing them both to feel a little guilty. They are both very strong personalities, but they play off each other.

Anyway, all of this is just musings. It's breaking my heart to watch my kids become autonomous adults. I'm so excited my kids are becoming autonomous adults. I'm going to bawl like a baby when I drop them off at college this fall, and I'll be so wicked proud of them at the same time. We have one more trip this summer where we're all going to Colorado to hike and camp together. Everyone is treating it like the end of an era kind of trip.

I predict a lot of crying at the end of summer in this house.
College is filled with charitable organizations and groups, especially now in this era of the non-profit. I'd definitely play up the fact that groups exist, and for me, most of the hall was an open door policy. I'm still in contact with like 60% of the people I dormed with over a decade later.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Friend just had a daughter. He's a career Marine. Her name? Semper. Semper Fiona [lastname]

I don't know whether to laugh or be impressed, but it has put a smile on my face.

I suppose she'll just always go by Fiona and just be humiliated at the beginning of every school year when her entire class finds out Fiona isn't her first name. He could have at least been creative and given her an actual first name whose meaning is a synonym for always, like Constance or Amara, so her name would still be evocative of the Marine Corps motto but her first name wouldn't be fucking SEMPER.

What a selfish dickhead.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I suppose she'll just always go by Fiona and just be humiliated at the beginning of every school year when her entire class finds out Fiona isn't her first name. He could have at least been creative and given her an actual first name whose meaning is a synonym for always, like Constance or Amara, so her name would still be evocative of the Marine Corps motto but her first name wouldn't be fucking SEMPER.

What a selfish dickhead.
His son's name is Gunner...

Semper isn't a bad name, beasts all the iterations of Kayleigh

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thoughts on co-sleeping? I'm a single-parent. He doesn't sleep with me when I have guests. I enjoy the bonding. Neither of us toss/turn.

I've found only articles with fluff/gibberish.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Thoughts on co-sleeping? I'm a single-parent. He doesn't sleep with me when I have guests. I enjoy the bonding. Neither of us toss/turn.

Tried sleep training with both kids. Failed horribly. They turned out to be way more stubborn than I am. Ended up letting them fall asleep in our bed and then moving them after they were soundly out. We can't actually co-sleep since they thrash around horribly and keep us awake. It worked fine for us.

As I understand it, current research seems to lean towards more human-human contact being better.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Depends on the age of tbe kid and your sleeping activity. Also, put some rails up just in case

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
When mine was little (up to being about 3 months) we had him in his cot, but we strapped it to the bed, adjusted the height to the same as our bed and took off one of the sides. That way he was in his own bed, so couldn't be squashed, but was within arms reach so the wife could breastfeed him without getting up. The cot was then unstrapped from the bed and stayed in our room until he was about 6 months, then went into his own room. He occasionally sleeps in with us, but no way I could do it regularly, hes only 2.5 but takes up more space than me and the wife combined, or so it seems. Hes also a bed bully, he kicks and pushes you to make space for himself.

• 1Like