Parent Thread

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Rabbit brains combined with garlic and cinnamilk. I think I've found the elixir of immortality!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Soranus of Ephesus developed one of the earliest recorded treatments for teething—which was fortunate, considering the severity of the symptoms this common process could cause. It was pretty simple: kill a rabbit, cut out his brain, rub it on your kiddo’s gums. Can’t get much easier than that. This practice remained the standard of care for several hundred years; it was published in the medical literature of the time: “If they are in pain, smear the gums with dog’s milk or hare’s brain; this works also if eaten.”

Well jeez, I'd never even heard of that.

Some greek dude in 100 AD wrote it down though, and it survived alexandria. Must be legit.
To be fair, they used willow for pain and fever and that was effective...all their ideas were not hare-brained!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
4 month appointment + round 2 of shots.

17lbs & 28" long. 6 month clothes barely fit.

Learned to turn over from back to front ~1.5 weeks ago, but not front to back yet. She used to hate being on her stomach so as soon as she rolled over, immediately pissed off. She's a lot better now but it made for some annoying bedtimes.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Our dude is like 7th percentile for weight and 1st for bmi. He's barely on the chart but he runs full speed basically all day so it's no wonder. Definitely smaller than a lot of kids, although he's tall like me

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
A buddy of mine's 1yr old daughter is right around the same percentile range. She's a little smaller than mine but about 8 months older. My wife is a little sensitive about the "she's so big!" comments we get sometimes, i don't care though. It'll be awesome when she's dominating whatever sports we put her in.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
It all seems a bit moot anyway, it's the trend that's important rather than the numbers, so long as they are gaining weight and gaining height. When I was at school I was the smallest of my peers, in height and mass by quite a distance. When I hit 16 I had a growth spurt and I'm now among the tallest of my friends (although my generation are still short arses compared to the youth of today - I'm 5'11") and weigh 185 lb with very little lard on me. Also I was walking at 9 months old, my twin bro took until 18 months, he caught up though!

Every kid is different but I certainly know how hard it is not to compare, I took my 4 month old into the office the other day and my colleague who also has a 4 month old mentioned mine is 30% bigger than his. And I've had to stop talking about mine starting to crawl, starting to teeth, sitting and rolling over etc as his kid does none of them yet, I'm sure they will catch up though its just the nature of babies.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You're not in the wrong for talking about your kid crawling/sitting/etc, so don't feel you have to stop doing so because your co-worker's kid isn't doing x when yours is. Talking about your kid(s) is normal. Comparing your kid(s) to other kids is also normal. In some cases, lack of some behaviour is problematic (like our daughter not pointing or really communicating at all until she was upwards of 2yo, which led to the autism diagnosis), but in most cases, it's just babies growing up on their own time.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Definitely understand both sides, but think people get too caught up in worrying that their kid is falling behind/inferior/whatever.
Hooray society.

In other news, So maybe full on teething hasn't started. They're definitely on the way though. She's chewing on everything and you can feel them under her gums.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
We got our kid teething powders, as we have the calpol/baby ibuprofen if absolutely necessary but don't want to dose him up at the drop of a hat. They get good reviews all over so thought we'd give them a try. and i's basically a bit of lactose with chamomile extract, so nothing in it really, and to me it tastes of nothing. It's basically baby crack if my kids reaction is anything to go by. He's only had it 3 times now, spread out over a full week, at the times when he just wont stop being grumpy and poking at his gums. The first time he had it he was crying at full volume, half sachet went in, it was like flicking a switch, he instantly stopped crying, started licking his lips and then happy as Larry all night heh. Second time, as soon as I opened the box to get a packet out his face lit up and he opened his mouth ready, I didn't think babies had memory that good, but this little monkey does.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So just had a state trooper in my driveway for several hours.

I work nights all weekend. Woke up hungry and my daughter had just gotten her license 10 days ago. We planned on sending her on little errands close by here and there. So I sent her to get me some food 10 minutes away. This was her second solo drive. I guess in our neighborhood on the way out she nails a mailbox because she is "turning off her phone so it won't distract her" and keeps driving. The family has 5 kids under age 11 and posted on the community facebook asking if anyone knew who it was so they could handle it themselves. No answer so they got the police involved, like they should. Misdemeanor hit and run and failure to report. Trooper kept threatening that he might take her to jail and the wife and I were doing nothing to persuade him otherwise. Dent and gouges on the hood and the bumper. Dude has like 10 cameras on his house I guess and took screenshots and gave them to the police. I don't know why she kept driving, got food, brought it home, and said nothing. Like she was going to get away with it when we saw the car ....

We have a court date and she is going to Lowes with my wife right now to buy a new post and mailbox. She will be on a provisional license damn near forever because of this and I am cringing thinking about whether this brings my insurance up through the roof.

She isn't going to make it to 18.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Did they press charges or is it one of those things that if cops get involved they have to do it?
Yeah they didn't press anything but she got hit with the leaving the scene and failure to report that once the authorities get involved has to happen.

Here is the actual video.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah they didn't press anything but she got hit with the leaving the scene and failure to report that once the authorities get involved has to happen.

Here is the actual video.

Holy shit on a stick, that's pretty egregious. I'd second the notion of taking the cell phones away. Oh, you're driving? Cell phone stays home. The people she's with will have cell phones for emergencies.

This sucks, man. It'll hurt your insurance for sure, but this might be a learning experience. Scare the crap out of her, so more caution is used in the future.

My twins are just now driving by themselves. Scares the crap out of me.

iannis

Musty Nester
So just had a state trooper in my driveway for several hours.

I work nights all weekend. Woke up hungry and my daughter had just gotten her license 10 days ago. We planned on sending her on little errands close by here and there. So I sent her to get me some food 10 minutes away. This was her second solo drive. I guess in our neighborhood on the way out she nails a mailbox because she is "turning off her phone so it won't distract her" and keeps driving. The family has 5 kids under age 11 and posted on the community facebook asking if anyone knew who it was so they could handle it themselves. No answer so they got the police involved, like they should. Misdemeanor hit and run and failure to report. Trooper kept threatening that he might take her to jail and the wife and I were doing nothing to persuade him otherwise. Dent and gouges on the hood and the bumper. Dude has like 10 cameras on his house I guess and took screenshots and gave them to the police. I don't know why she kept driving, got food, brought it home, and said nothing. Like she was going to get away with it when we saw the car ....

We have a court date and she is going to Lowes with my wife right now to buy a new post and mailbox. She will be on a provisional license damn near forever because of this and I am cringing thinking about whether this brings my insurance up through the roof.

She isn't going to make it to 18.

Oh man that poor little girl.

I've sniped a mailbox once on accident. Swerved to avoid a cat. BAM, DEAD MAILBOX. Also dead passenger side mirror.

I stopped and knocked on the door, obviously. 40 year old woman answered the door who was obviously kinda afraid of me. Like she was trying to figure out my angle. I left her my number and told her I'd either fix it myself or pay the bill she just had to let me know.

I never did hear from that woman.

Gettin that mirror fixed was expensive. I shoulda just killed the cat.

Little lady has to learn. You gotta fess up.

iannis

Musty Nester
That's some really clean mailbox sniping. You gotta give her that. She didn't just graze it. She mowed that thing over like a jilted lover.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Man my kid cannot stop running into shit or falling. His entire body is a giant bruise

And this morning I learned about wall shit painting