Parent Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

iannis

Musty Nester
It's the opposite of knee jerk. It's an analysis of new tools.

Nobody is saying that you made your daughter retarded, wamp. Not at all.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Yes, sorry, I was talking about real life folks I talk to, they are the deranged ones.
I come here for rational answers and food for thought.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
We had a dude here on the board trying to tell us he learned to read and write by 18 months, I was like surejan.gif. And yet he persisted. Wish I could remember who that was. My mom is a crazy person (like, diagnosed, not just me talking shit) and she used to constantly make up shit that I had supposedly done as a kid. According to her I was talking by 6 months and walking by 9.

As far as the screentime shit, man I don't know and I question the legitimacy of anyone who claims they do. There's times when it is obviously too much. I was sick over the Thanksgiving break and I passed out, woke up to see one of my kids still sitting in the same position as when I left, like 4 hours later, just gobbling up nonsense youtube garbage. But I did that with games and tv as a kid too, whatever, doesn't kill them. The same kid also taught herself to draw and paint off youtube videos and is pretty fucking amazingly good for her age, so it varies. Another kid of mine taught herself to code using scratch because she was bored, now she's learning python, she's 9, someday we'll all work for whatever robots she codes to do our jobs better than us.

tl;dr, everyone needs to have their own rules particular to their situation. Encourage the good, discourage the bad, give them some freedom.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
walking by 9.

Friend's kid was legit walking by that age. It's mostly dependent on how much they're held vs left on the floor to explore.

As for reading and talking by 6 months... yeah. I don't think they have the motor/ocular control for that yet.

tl;dr, everyone needs to have their own rules particular to their situation. Encourage the good, discourage the bad, give them some freedom.

QFT.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
What's it really indicative of anyway, other than parents being up about it. If the kid is within normale 95% percentile, I'm happy.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Friend's kid was legit walking by that age. It's mostly dependent on how much they're held vs left on the floor to explore.
Nah I don't mean like pulling up or taking a few steps etc. She was convinced I was fully independently walking on my own. idk, it might be technically possible. But parents do shit like this, they have hazy memories about when/where shit happened. For our first, we recorded stuff in one of those dumb baby books and looked back even just a year and found that our memories were totally off about events.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Nah I don't mean like pulling up or taking a few steps etc. She was convinced I was fully independently walking on my own. idk, it might be technically possible

Right, this kid was walking through multiple rooms, taking corners, and picking things up from the floor without falling or using his hands. I saw it myself repeatedly.

By contrast, my kids were more like 14-15 months. They seem to have turned out fine and my friend's kid doesn't now appear to be any kind of athletic savant, so I don't think the difference is important.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Nah I don't mean like pulling up or taking a few steps etc. She was convinced I was fully independently walking on my own. idk, it might be technically possible. But parents do shit like this, they have hazy memories about when/where shit happened. For our first, we recorded stuff in one of those dumb baby books and looked back even just a year and found that our memories were totally off about events.

Each one of my children started walking independently at three months, and each had written their first novel by 2.

• 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Each one of my children started walking independently at three months, and each had written their first novel by 2.
You're probably toning it down so I don't feel so bad about the shit parenting job I'm doing. Youngest is 7 and still doing freelance work.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
So the 7 yo girl slipped and hit her head on a concrete wall this saturday. Had a small blackout so it must have been a serious bump (we were 10m off watching the 4yo sing christmas songs with her kindergarten crew).

Off to the ER in an ambulance, spent 24 hours in kid's hospital with her.
She was her old self after 12 hours already, but oh boy, the shit you face there, makes you realize how lucky you are to have healthy kids.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As for, Quineloe Quineloe , sure, you did not play 6 hours a day when you were five, but you didnt get fluent in English either at that age, did you ? (I seem to remember you are from Germany).
I did not know any English whatsoever before classes in school at the age of 10. Prince of Persia, SM's Railroad Tycoon and basically every game released prior to 1992 I did not understand the text at all. I played through Wing Commander without knowing the story, but fortunately Germany was already a market big enough to warrant translation for some games (e.g. SM's Civilization)

Personal experiences aside, we are teaching our kids, the future of our planet, using really outdated methods. And it is a kneejerk reaction to reject any new approach. It is not a good combination.
Yes, but those outdated methods we already know are still better than learning on a touch screen tablet/phone device. The effects of those have been researched, judged and they did not do too well.

You want to stick to this example, years of a "modern" approach of letting me play English video games (which certainly wasn't what my parents actually intended), my father just enjoyed those games as well and you better don't think that computer stays turned off while he was at work. As a side note here, he's basically illiterate when it comes to English. To my elitist standard at least. Couldn't even follow the warcraft 3 story line, the fuck. He played a lot of Harpoon (by Larry Bond), I guess at some point your limited vocabulary allows for games like that if you just try hard enough. Later on Starcraft, which was translated. End side note.

Well those years didn't teach me any English. That started with classes. Once I knew some, it was easy to improve and improve with video games, but from zero, no way. Not with games targeted at adults.

Last edited:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So the 7 yo girl slipped and hit her head on a concrete wall this saturday. Had a small blackout so it must have been a serious bump (we were 10m off watching the 4yo sing christmas songs with her kindergarten crew).

Off to the ER in an ambulance, spent 24 hours in kid's hospital with her.
She was her old self after 12 hours already, but oh boy, the shit you face there, makes you realize how lucky you are to have healthy kids.

Man, that's scary stuff. My kids all do sports of various kinds, and concussions scare the crap out of me.

• 1Solidarity

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Am I a bad parent if I buy my 3 and 4 year old SNES Classic because I want one ?

Should I let them live their lives video game free for a few more years ?

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Am I a bad parent if I buy my 3 and 4 year old SNES Classic because I want one ?

Should I let them live their lives video game free for a few more years ?
They might not want to play SNES game in 2 years, when they've been exposed to modern video games. And quite honestly that'd be a shame. I'd say that if you are allowing them to watch TV, there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't substitute TV time with some video games time, there is simply no way TV is better than video games.

My soon to be 3 yo daughter will play the switch 10 to 20 minutes, top, before moving on to something else, while she can litteraly stay 1 hour in front of the TV if I don't stop it.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm a parent now. 25 year old daughter. I'm urging her to go have some medical testing done for any herdititary problems, "just in case". Seems like I have crammed 25+ years into a two week period in a way. Kind of proud of her even tho I had nothing to do with it, has a good job and working on her own.

• 3Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I'm a parent now. 25 year old daughter. I'm urging her to go have some medical testing done for any herdititary problems, "just in case". Seems like I have crammed 25+ years into a two week period in a way. Kind of proud of her even tho I had nothing to do with it, has a good job and working on her own.
You gave the gift of gametes.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I bought a switch "for the family" for Christmas. Oops breath of the wild is in there too, looks like you're too young but I'll play it kids. We had to be hardasses on screen time with my oldest because early.intervention thoughts that why he wasn't talking. My youngest doesn't give a shit about the tv so it isn't even a problem.

Dealing with his autism is pretty shitty. They diagnosed him at the lowest on the spectrum but he's been getting much worse, and very physical. Try to remind myself that whenever he's flipping out, it's his way of dealing with stress. He's in ABA like 20 hours a week and I've heard real bad things about ABA so I'm watching it very carefully. The people working there are fucking retards too, so it doesn't help.

We were expecting the third in 6 months and my wife ended up having a very violent and ... Horrific... miscarriage in our home. Third time it's happened. She's really worried that being 35 her body has started changing and maybe it's a sign to stop. I think we have one or two more go's in us max before we have to call it quits. I'm perfectly happy with the two boys we have, but I know her dream was 3 so if we have to make that decision she'll have to come to terms with that. Still shitty.

• 3Solidarity

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
That sucks. I'm curious as to why three would be the magic number. I would think if you want more than one kid 2+ would be fine. I wonder if she has two brothers/sisters and is trying to replicate her family as a kid.

On a side note 35+ is when having kids goes downhill for women but it's not a quick drop off. It's when it starts to slope down a little faster on graphs. I have two kids and both are thankfully healthy. My wife was 34 and 37.5 at birth. But then again I have super sperm so that may play into it.