Path of Exile

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm at 89, red map gets me 4-7% XP, so a death every few maps still hurts a lot.

I posted my build above, I welcome critiques. I've considered changing my helm to something with life, but it's tough as hell to find anyone trading these days.

Ya playing at the end of leagues is rough. I usually do every league and poopsock pretty hardcore for two weeks and then peter off over the next month. It's a fun as hell two weeks though.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm at 89, red map gets me 4-7% XP, so a death every few maps still hurts a lot.

I posted my build above, I welcome critiques. I've considered changing my helm to something with life, but it's tough as hell to find anyone trading these days.
Get rid of the fury bolts cluster. get the Blood Siphon life nodes that are north of Vaal Pact. Replace your onslaught flask with an anti-freeze stibnite flask.

Passive Skill Tree - Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Get rid of the fury bolts cluster. get the Blood Siphon life nodes that are north of Vaal Pact. Replace your onslaught flask with an anti-freeze stibnite flask.

Passive Skill Tree - Path of Exile

I was planning on picking up the +1 Max Frenzy and Life clusters to the left, but I might just stop at 90, which will fit that tree better, thanks.

EDIT: Notice you pathed out of Iron Will...why?

I mean, I literally haven't blown myself up on a volatile in a LONG time and I play a ton of melee builds. The only times they HAVE one shot me has been when it's a high hp mob on a extra dmg + -max map.
What are your "I won't play this map" mods? I scour and reroll temp chains or anything with reflect that I can't deal with. Adding more mods to that seems unsustainable(map or scourings).

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Depends on the map, i'm a lot pickier on high tier maps (15/guardians) than lower tier maps but usually only reflect. Temp chains is annoying but I usually run it cause it's not difficult just annoying but the curse rolls give nice bonuses. I usually roll over inhabited by animals too cause devourers are annoying.

While i'm levelling up and clearing maps for completion I also run easier mods just to get the completion guaranteed. After I had most of the atlas unlocked on legacy I had zero issues sustaining red maps, I always have horrible luck filling it out tho and have to buy most of the maps to do that.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wouldn't worry about the frenzy charges cause from what I see the only way you make charges is through blood rage, meaning you will rarely have any for boss fights in general. But if you are still keen on it, you still have the frenzy charge on the far right to pick up in the tree.

Also, I do run good tier 10 maps and easy 11's/12's til I am 90 if this is my first character on the league and I am not decked out yet. Shaped Mesa, Underground River, Courtyard are my fave tier 10s. I try to save most red maps for when I am better geared, since my clear speed and survivability is ass. Staying with the lower tier maps makes the map clears fast, even if the maps only gives me 2-3% exp.

Last edited:

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, if you are pushing levels, better to do easier maps reliably&fast than a higher level ones where you die here and there. Safe leaguestones etc.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Jonkimble Jonkimble Just noticed I mixed up my keystone. You pathed out of Unwavering Will, why?

And I forgot to ask about the Stibnite flask. How good is a smoke cloud?

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Don't want to derail this too hard but how's this compare to Diablo 3 in it's current state? Can anyone shed some light? More fun?

Looking for a fix up this alley and wondering if I should try this or start playing D3 again...

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I love the stibnite flask. Without any flask nodes you can get 3 6s uses out of it. It essentially reduces a mobs chance to hit you by half. Which also means your chance to be crit is reduced by half. Pretty essential for a melee character. Blind - Official Path of Exile Wiki
However, I did not consider which ascendancy you were(didn't even look lol) so you actually need to take big hits for your ascendancies to work. In which case you should probably take unwavering will instead. Blind is only effective if you can evade attacks, which unwavering stance won't let you do. I would still replace the silver flask with something more defensive, like a granite flask with +armor % roll on it. I don't like silver flasks for anyone except Raiders or cycloners, because you're really only ever using half the flask at once(you're only ever moving, or attacking; cyclone is the only skill that uses both. For raiders, popping silver flask gives them immunity to status ailments which you need sometimes if you do not have full frenzy charges). Currently it sounds like you're having troubles staying alive rather than doing damage, so I would try to gear that way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't want to derail this too hard but how's this compare to Diablo 3 in it's current state? Can anyone shed some light? More fun?

Looking for a fix up this alley and wondering if I should try this or start playing D3 again...

Very steep learning curve. You will spending a lot of time on external sites such as PoE trade, and the PoE wiki to even know what you're supposed to do or how mechanics work. Items drops are rare as hell, and currently near the end of a season it's hard to make money(not impossible tho).

The end game is pretty much not even comparable. There is so much to do, especially compared to D3. I am a huge fan of the currency system, since the currency is its own money sink(you craft with your moneys as a usable consumable). The gem system is FF7's materia system, except with a lot more options since you can link 6 gems together to make one uber skill). The passive skill tree is FFX's sphere grid. It's pretty damn huge.

The builds you can do in this game are insane at times. There are probably over 100 end game viable builds. Even more if you just want to specialize in just end game boss killing, or fast as fuck map clearing. You can even make the trolliest of troll builds work. If you like to be creative and design your own build that no one else has done, this is the game for you. If not, there are a ton of much simpler builds for you to follow as well. On the flip side, a lot of the really cool builds are item dependent; some builds require items that you'll probably never be able to afford until you've become very good at making money which ain't gonna happen at the end of a season.

Here are some of my favourites troll builds, note that not all of them exist since a couple of them got nerfed to the ground(just to give you an idea of how creative some of these fucks can get!):
Wormblaster the 3rd - Using potions instead of skills
Abberath's Hooves + Vaal Righteous Fire 1-shot - Clearing map by just walking next to things. Exploding bosses with 1 gianormous spell.
AFK vs one of the hardest bosses in the game for no reason other than to say you can AFK vs one of the hardest bosses in the game
Taking AFK to the next level
95 Skeletons because why not

I would recommend that you play this game now and learn the system, but don't take it seriously right now because 3.0 sounds like its about a month away. One big thing that turns people off from this in comparison to D3 is just how the game is played. The character animations, the movement, the pace. Diablo has a massive edge to PoE in this case, but if you can deal with that, PoE is definitely the go to. There's just so much to do.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game is going to kill you hundreds of times until you learn them all. I would say it took me a solid year to two years until I was comfortable enough to make my own builds and understand their synergy and how the meta works.

T TecKnoe post your char name next league. I always spread the wealth early on or can help with whatever.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
6 invasion bosses in the arena room with the cyclone guy in the dareso slums. 6. My teammate and I died at least 9 times each just trying to clear it 5-10 mobs at a time. Rough.

Also I'm about 90% sure their invasion bosses/exiles are bugged right now. They literally take longer to kill full force DPSing than Act bosses and Minibosses do.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
XP really slows to a crawl right around 90. How do people get to 100 without getting bored? Progression is needed!

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
No, I don't want safe farm mode, that's boring.

Well, as others have said, the game asks you to discern that there are non-standard mobs in a pack and makes it easy by giving them a color/glow. Then, you have to read the text above their name. This is all it takes to not die to volatiles. That you aren't doing this implies you're zone-out farming. Otherwise your argument literally is: ("I don't want to have to read text underneath a mobs name because that takes all of .2 seconds and that isn't fun for me.")

My perspective on this: either take the occasional death and proceed with zone-out farming or focus and don't die to 100 percent avoidable things.

Regarding the "locked into death" gripe -- uh, I've literally never felt that. If your build is so leech dependent that there is seriously no utility item/flask/skill in the game that allows you to disengage from a fight once you've started it, then that sounds like a proper consequence of building such a boolean build. Once you're familiar with the bosses, nothing should surprise you -- if you didn't clear the area around a boss and some triple ghost exile shows up and starts fucking you up, then that's your fault.

I mean, I get that you're frustrated because you keep dying but it sounds to me like the build you're playing isn't right for your playstyle.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
XP really slows to a crawl right around 90. How do people get to 100 without getting bored? Progression is needed!

XP doesn't really slow down until 94-94ish. Instead of playing stash of exile or looting bad base yellows you focus on grinding when going for 100. I prepare a tab full of maps for example by pre-rolling them to what fits my build. I also pre-block my atlas so once I'm ready to grind I only have to sextant instead of rolling sextants. The grind to 100 was only bad for me because I didn't use to focus on chain mapping. If you focus on mapping in properly sextant'd poorjoys or properly rolled and sextant'd shaped shores instead of pleb strands or other bad maps it also makes your grind much easier and faster.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

They don't. Look at the steam charts. Path gets a huge explosion at the start of the league and then after a month they've lost the majority of the playerbase. There appears to be maybe 10k core players (at least on Steam, not sure how many launch direct) who stick around but the majority just jump ship.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Well, as others have said, the game asks you to discern that there are non-standard mobs in a pack and makes it easy by giving them a color/glow. Then, you have to read the text above their name. This is all it takes to not die to volatiles. That you aren't doing this implies you're zone-out farming. Otherwise your argument literally is: ("I don't want to have to read text underneath a mobs name because that takes all of .2 seconds and that isn't fun for me.")

My perspective on this: either take the occasional death and proceed with zone-out farming or focus and don't die to 100 percent avoidable things.

Regarding the "locked into death" gripe -- uh, I've literally never felt that. If your build is so leech dependent that there is seriously no utility item/flask/skill in the game that allows you to disengage from a fight once you've started it, then that sounds like a proper consequence of building such a boolean build. Once you're familiar with the bosses, nothing should surprise you -- if you didn't clear the area around a boss and some triple ghost exile shows up and starts fucking you up, then that's your fault.

I mean, I get that you're frustrated because you keep dying but it sounds to me like the build you're playing isn't right for your playstyle.

A game that is centered around the flow of killing packs of monsters, slowing your overall kill speed(because you're cautious) and stopping to read the tiny text on every rare is a much bigger problem than you make it sound. You can do it, sure, but it makes the overall experience much worse.

What about builds that must be in melee range to kill? How do they avoid volatiles?

How have you never experienced the combination of multistrike/spell echo and poor movement skills in this game? It is quite easy to lock yourself into a multistrike, realize you have to move mid multistrike, and then be dead before it's finished. Or be dead because you stayed in the fire too long because multistrike and shitty movement skills.

Please give me an example of using an item/flask/skill to *react* to a bad situation instead of anticipating one. The boss took a huge chunk of my hp so I hit [ ]. Boss script anticipation is one thing, but you're going to fuck up from time to time. Having the ability to compensate for those fuck ups instead of just losing time and xp is crucial to a fun game. Otherwise, people will just see fuck ups as time sinks instead of learning opportunities and will play something else.

A lot of this stems from the game doing a very poor job of visually telegraphing. You know I'm not the first one to complain about this. How many times have you died and you couldn't even explain why afterwards? I tried an 8-mod vaaled Waterways map for the first time on Sunday. Got to boss, died twice. Couldn't even get into melee range to start leeching. I assume the boss is doing some sort of cold damage aura, but fuck if I know, nothing was telling me that. Not even the external website has details on him.

• 1Like