Path of Exile

Ryanz

<Banned>
You trade via a website: PoE Trade

Basically you search for the item or currency you're looking for in whatever league you are currently in. The website finds the people selling the item, and shows for how much. If you want to purchase the item you whisper that person in game. Some people don't like this type of system and just want an auction house, but as an old school gamer there is something nostalgic about the process and it also feels good having to put a little effort into trading and acquiring those precious items, and not just clicking a buy button.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

Basically you search for the item or currency you're looking for in whatever league you are currently in. The website finds the people selling the item, and shows for how much. If you want to purchase the item you whisper that person in game. Some people don't like this type of system and just want an auction house, but as an old school gamer there is something nostalgic about the process and it also feels good having to put a little effort into trading and acquiring those precious items, and not just clicking a buy button.

I started playing PoE about 6 months ago and it took me 2 trades with PoE Trade to understand the concept and lingo. I have never used a trading site before this game and it is shit easy to use PoE Trade.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If nostalgia is your only reason for keeping a system in the game, that system should be reconsidered. Real nostalgic messaging 5 guys in a row who are all afk only to have the 6th guy respond that he just sold it. There's nothing challenging about the current system, just tedium, so why not remove it? Think how much more stuff you could sell if you didn't have to be online to do it. Even better, think what niche items you could find since the amount of available items would be expanded.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I started playing PoE about 6 months ago and it took me 2 trades with PoE Trade to understand the concept and lingo. I have never used a trading site before this game and it is shit easy to use PoE Trade.
It's fairly straight forward yeah, it's a shame you have to rely on a 3rd party to do all this shit though, especially when said 3rd party has random connectivity issues or GGG patches something that breaks the API, then trading is virtually dead until the problems get resolved.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Works for me. Installing now. Level 80 witch, totally naked, (probably) completely de-allocated skill tree and no idea where to do. Perfect!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I would wait until Friday and start fresh in the new league and 3.0. Trying to figure stuff out now with mere days left in the 2.6 is going to lead to a lot of confusion.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I would wait until Friday and start fresh in the new league and 3.0. Trying to figure stuff out now with mere days left in the 2.6 is going to lead to a lot of confusion.
Ah 3.0 is releasing in a few days? Nice timing! This game had a ton of depth when I played it four years ago, I'm sure it's super intense now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Any good 3.0 elementalist builds based on high damage and mobility? I think I used to use freezing pulse and thought it was ok.

Last edited:

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
If nostalgia is your only reason for keeping a system in the game, that system should be reconsidered. Real nostalgic messaging 5 guys in a row who are all afk only to have the 6th guy respond that he just sold it. There's nothing challenging about the current system, just tedium, so why not remove it? Think how much more stuff you could sell if you didn't have to be online to do it. Even better, think what niche items you could find since the amount of available items would be expanded.

This is an eternal argument within the PoE community.

It isn't supposed to be challenging and some tedium is necessary. Why? Well, without it, you get the catastrophe that was D3 on launch. If you're gonna hit the PoE community up for niche items to flesh out your build, you oughta be spending time on it -- not just farming for 90 min then TPing to town to punch in a combo into an NPC and have it spit you out a bunch of gear with prices ready to buy.

Flip it around -- you played D3 on launch... did you like it? If you added offline trading is that not a step towards D3's stupid AH?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Getting into the D3AH is a huge topic. There's some similarities and I'll gladly discuss it, but I just want to point out it's not quite fair to compare the two largely due to the RMAH factor.

I disliked the D3AH(never participated in the RMAH) because I spent more time on the AH looking for gear than I did in game, which is already a problem with poe.trade and POE. You aren't finding your own gear, you're refining searches on poe.trade and hoping you get a hit you can afford. So, my suggestion was more centered around the acceptance of gear trading, whether it be through poe.trade or a true AH, why not streamline it a bit?

As for tedium, I guess that has merit in theory. I'd prefer that come from slaying monsters. I've never really felt the satisfaction from spending 1 hour of my night hunting down 10 different trades so I could convert my loose currency in chaos so I could finally buy a Dying Sun. Just made me resent how archaic the system was when it didn't really need to be.

Let's flip it again. Take away the trade API. We have to go back to D2SOJ days of trading via message boards. Would you do that and think it an improvement on the game overall considering the non-insignificant amount of players it would disenfranchise?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Any good 3.0 elementalist builds based on high damage and mobility? I think I used to use freezing pulse and thought it was ok.

First, don't worry about the buying/selling what you need/have. You'll invest a few bucks into a couple special storage tabs and be able to buy/sell whatever very easily, it's such a nothing burger the devs have chosen not to change it in years even with the vocal minority always crying about it.

With 3.0 and builds, nobody knows yet. It's a complete meta rework and I suspect the rework will carry into another league or two as they try to get the balancing right. Two days before 3.0 patch notes should drop and the poop sockers will get to work on decent+ builds. I'd stay tuned to the class forums, youtube and reddit around that time. Or this thread will probably be fine also.

I'd recomend going on the witch forums and find some 2.6 build that's low budget you can spec your witch into so you can start fucking around and just seeing how maps work nowadays. Maps really aren't changing all that much.

A ton of us will be in the new league so get an invite to the guild and we can go from there as far as in game stuff goes. People item share a lot of leveling gear in the guild bank.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
PoE trade could have a rating system. If someone is AFK, +checkmark on AFK. If only enough are reporting that this guy is AFK, none of his items will be listed for XXX amount of time. Auto-default to not show AFK people's wares on the website.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
PoE trade could have a rating system. If someone is AFK, +checkmark on AFK. If only enough are reporting that this guy is AFK, none of his items will be listed for XXX amount of time. Auto-default to not show AFK people's wares on the website.
No way that wouldn't get abused, right ?

I wonder when is GGG going to buckle on their "no soulbound items" policy, since that would solve most of the problems people have with trading. Almost everybody prefers their items to come from slaying monsters, however you can't deny that trading is what makes the game playable, even if the SSF leagues put more attention to mechanics that allow you to beat the RNG loot.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I don't mind the trading system currently. Obviously it could be better and more streamlined, but when you start talking about an auction house you're playing with a slippery slope. Not just because it sucks the soul out of the game a little bit, but botters have an easier opportunity to take a strangle hold of the economy without having that human to human interaction of trading. Obviously there is some kind of solution that lies somewhere in the middle of what we have now. which can be inconvenient and annoying at times (especially in an older league), and an auction house type trading system. What exactly that looks like is the million dollar question.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
First, don't worry about the buying/selling what you need/have. You'll invest a few bucks into a couple special storage tabs and be able to buy/sell whatever very easily, it's such a nothing burger the devs have chosen not to change it in years even with the vocal minority always crying about it.

With 3.0 and builds, nobody knows yet. It's a complete meta rework and I suspect the rework will carry into another league or two as they try to get the balancing right. Two days before 3.0 patch notes should drop and the poop sockers will get to work on decent+ builds. I'd stay tuned to the class forums, youtube and reddit around that time. Or this thread will probably be fine also.

I'd recomend going on the witch forums and find some 2.6 build that's low budget you can spec your witch into so you can start fucking around and just seeing how maps work nowadays. Maps really aren't changing all that much.

A ton of us will be in the new league so get an invite to the guild and we can go from there as far as in game stuff goes. People item share a lot of leveling gear in the guild bank.
I've got a bunch of purchased storage tabs, one labeled "to sell". It reminds me of having a basement full of stuff that I'm getting around to ebaying, and now it's totally worthless junk :D I do have a bunch of currency that I collected getting to 80 and could never spend before I quit the game.

I kind of wanted to continue progress on my 80 witch instead of starting fresh, but are all the cool kids playing on this league:
Harbinger league - Official Path of Exile Wiki
?

What do you think about these two builds?
[2.6] CI Freezing Pulse Witch (Elementalist) - Path of Exile Gems

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure anything Vaal is going to be heavily nerfed, iirc something about charges being nerfed and also spell echo doesn't work on vaal skills anymore so you basically get a lot less value out of them. Also people still played Vaal spark over that as far as I remember. For the FP elem, sure why not, you can kinda pick whatever spell you want for elem and make it work really. FP has some issues in some areas due to the bolts disapearing if they collide with solid stuff, making it a pain to fire through doors and close to rocks and shit. I think they're changing something to glacial cascade so you could do that instead, or a lightning based build with one of the new spells. Fire builds I'm not sure with all the changes to ignite.

As usual though people will make compilations of builds for the new league/patch, will probably have to wait until after patch notes are live though. I'm thinking about trying that new chaos spell thing with skeletons but I'll have to look into it more seriously later first, not sure how clunky/viable it'll be.

Caliane

FP is pretty outdated by most standards. Especially with all the cool new mechanics in the game.

There are many fast elementalist builds. so many, it'd be hard to even recommend.

Vaal fireball as noted, probably getting nerfed a bit. also, not remotely a league starter build. Thats a high end farming build.

Glacial cascade was buffed "recently". and changed in 3.0. I have that on my list of potential builds for 3.0.
new cascade deals physical damage, then converts 60% to cold. instead of flat phys and cold separately.

Most builds will be radically changed for 3.0. any old guide will be slighty out of date. the nerfs to ES were massive. Especially notable for any witch build.
This means life+mom might be the way to go, in many builds that went CI before. As well, the nerfs to vaal pact, may mean if it DID go CI before, ZO may now be ideal. And, then, Occultist may be god for league starters, for its huge defense and ES bonuses. While that elementalist is more of a end game ascendancy, when you have the gear to support it.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Agree that every "con" map mod should have an attached "pro" mod.

Can't wait till launch hope it's not crash city.

Shoulda buffed life and made mechanics around it more interesting and left CI/ES alone.