Path of Exile

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really hope they update shield charge to scale similarly with shield defenses rather than mainhand attack values

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
That would be cool, armor and evasion shields can both get pretty high defense values and ES shields don't matter since ES attack builds aren't really viable any more. Would give a reason to actually have high defenses on shield instead of just offensive stats and life/res or uniques.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wonder, can a target be hit by the shield and the projectiles too or are they all exclusive. Like for bosses if it's only one hit it might not be good at all, if it's 2hits it might be alright though.

As for good shields, it seems getting an ok shield for the build is pretty easy, easier than getting an ok weapon for your build in general, and people will probably start picking up shields too.

All it needs is flat+% eva/armor, and then maybe life or resist but you don't actually need these, most builds use weapons without any life or resist on weapons so it'd be a plus. Like there's increased phys% but unlike weapons, you kinda don't give a fuck about this one since it's a global increased mod instead of being local for weapons. The offensive mods on caster shields are for spells only so irrelevant, so yeah it's pretty much just all about getting 2mods for damage, which is way better than trying to get phys%+flatphys+hybrid phys%+attackspeed%+crit% or crit mult on a weapon.

And then there's quite a few unique shields that fit the bill. Notably Lioneye's Remorse with its massive armor, Ahn's Heritage with its perma onslaught and so on, plus they'll probably be adding new shields.

Last edited:

Caliane

Yeah, its been noted. But, the 3 types of shields are not equal.

Ilvl 67 Colossal tower shield. 632 base armor. The best.
ilvl 60 lacquered buckler at 440 is the best Eva shield.
ilvel 66 cardinal round shield at 209/209 is the best eva/ar shield. but notably worse then primaries.
ES hybrids are laughably bad.

harmonic and titanium spirit shields both have 159 ES. titanium has 25% block, and no implicit. so best.

A colossal tower shield could in theory have 3256 ARMOR.
(+400 armor, +110% armor, +42% armor/17% stuck/block recovery.) This would have no life on it. (resists, block, and % life rgen ideal suffix.)

2 to 3 scaling per 15 ar/es. in addition to gem level giving phys scaling.
434 to 651 from armor.+13 to 19 base. Thats pretty insane for a one handed weapon, and shield block/armor.

The crit scaling is not super impressive.
419ES is the BEST possible titanium. (42%es/17%stun/block, 110% es, and +90es)

at, .1% per 10, this gives up 4.19% added crit. to the base 5%. the BEST possible ES shield only gives 9.19% base crit.

Then, the other main weakness is lack of accuracy. Which again will hit that Crit ES shield more.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really hope Beast or whatever is more exciting than Abyss league. This is the first time since beta I don't do every challenge or level to 100 in a temp league, I just cant force myself to finish level 99 or do the last 70 Atziris I need for challenges.

Caliane

I have doubts. Abyss I found kindof bad/tedious. The depths just got boring fast, and annoying for loot portals.
fucking pitworms, as a melee was bullshit.

Beastiary's trap mechanics. ffs, sounds horrible. the book, etc sounds really cool.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its kind of funny that we're getting Monster Hunter World / Pokemons in PoE. Either way I am going to no life it the first 48 hours, just need to pray the Assassin redesign is fun.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I wonder if increased global defenses and shield passives will impact shield throw damage/crit numbers or if they get calculated into something seperate instead of added to the actual item slot values...

Something like veil of the night + skin of the loyal + maybe some other stuff for a glass cannon huge dmg version.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Haven't played with The Surrender but I assume it adds 1500armor directly to the char like a Granite, not to the base value of the shield which would then be multiplied by retarded amounts due to shield nodes, the %armor on the shield and then any armor % you have all being multiplicative. So it wouldn't do anything, other than being a really fucking good shield to begin with. Obviously however getting one is a bit of a bitch.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Increased armor % isn't multiplicative across armor types, e.g. 100% increased armor and 100% increased shield armor on a 1000 armor shield would yield 3k armor from your shield, not 4k armor. Same thing with increased global defenses.

But yeah, I suspect the +1500 armor on block is a global stat, too. Shield would be so OP next patch if it added locally.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I wouldnt be surprised if the trap aspect is tedious and enough people bitch they just say fuck it and remove it saying killing it gets the same results as capturing it now.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I wouldnt be surprised if the trap aspect is tedious and enough people bitch they just say fuck it and remove it saying killing it gets the same results as capturing it now.

Yeah as soon as I read the patch notes I said "Can't wait to never do that this league".

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Increased armor % isn't multiplicative across armor types, e.g. 100% increased armor and 100% increased shield armor on a 1000 armor shield would yield 3k armor from your shield, not 4k armor. Same thing with increased global defenses.

But yeah, I suspect the +1500 armor on block is a global stat, too. Shield would be so OP next patch if it added locally.
Ah yeah you're right, but the %armor on the shield is local and if that one would be multiplied further, so it'd make the shield insanely strong since it's up permanently pretty much. That'd be like 1500armor with 170%mod so 4050 plus the base of the shield which is already 1500 so 5550armor on one piece of gear, then multiplied by your total armor% mod, hell it might actually make armor viable, so yeah doubt it works like that that's just too much armor. It's already 3000ish armor which is pretty strong.