Path of Exile

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
This league I think definitely tried to do something too large; it should have been an expansion and not just a league mechanic. Lots of flaws that they are still working on correcting, and its going to be a month in soon. I think they'll be able salvage this in a couple more patches but yeah, it was really rough to start.
The fact that the league is developed during its course absolutely destroys the point. All their marketing and PR points to the launch day. The high point is the first week where the mechanic was really bad, but the rewards keep getting buffed as the time goes, which gives a clear signal that it's better to wait, which was D3's weakness, every season you could progress more easily.

Honestly, this league will probably break their streak of every being being bigger and better, the lack of QA for even simple things is staggering.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
For sure, I wouldn't spend that much on MTX otherwise. I'm probably going to be more discerning regarding support packs though. Since this is the first bad league for me.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
haha no wonder servers went down for hotfix. somethign tels me that lycosidae ancient orb abuseis related

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm a bit surprised they'd hotfix it. The market would have adjust prices on all three items such that you couldn't make much profit anymore, so does it really matter?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm a bit surprised they'd hotfix it. The market would have adjust prices on all three items such that you couldn't make much profit anymore, so does it really matter?

Meh, they look really silly either way. They turned an obviously uber OP shield, that should have never been common, into a chase item. Shitlords figured out GGG mistakes and turned it back into a common shield that they controlled the market on.

edit: not to mention now that this has been outed we have ancient orbs going for 100s of chaos being bought for the sole purpose of churning out a single item. it's fucking up how items should be used.

It's really a pretty big shit show and chris should be absolutely shitting bricks on their internal testers. Like, people should probably be fired and and the position refilled for all the insane fuck ups this league.

That said, GGG still best game company unless this happens again. Like others have said, i'll write this league off as a pretty big mistake and assume they'll learn from it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I asked this before and no one answered, but is this a reasonable expectation regarding QA? All three items involved are not new. In fact, none of this is related to the new league, just that Harbinger is on Zana for the first time. To be fair, supposedly the implementation of Ancient Orbs changed because people in the reddit thread were claiming this was tried before(and didn't work).

I don't know their QA situation, but a 3 month release window feels unrealistic to expect this kind of nuance to be reliably caught. Think of how much changed and how gigantic the resulting test matrix would have to be. I suppose it's possible, but I'm betting most of this is not tested in an automated fashion.

But I am curious, Harbinger Orb implementation changes, who's responsibility is it to ensure proper QA?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Considering they want lycosidae to be rare, I think there concern was that more than market forces adjusting. The new method would just make it too common

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

Yes because they made lyco rare for a reason and that reason wasn't so that you could just spam out 500000 of them with ancient orbs this league.

edit: not to mention now that this has been outed we have ancient orbs going for 100s of chaos being bought for the sole purpose of churning out a single item. it's fucking up how items should be used.

What item is being used in a fucked up manner? Ancient orbs? People were doing exactly the same thing with them in Harbinger league, except going for the tukohama shield or whatever because lyco was common but it was literally the same thing. Get a 2x4 shield, hit it with ancient orb a few times for the 5ex++ tukohama shield, waste to use them on anything else except maybe belts chasing a headhunter.

As far as the league goes, it's a crafting league. If you don't like crafting then why would you like a crafting leagues mechanics? That doesn't mean it's a shit league. I'm having quite a bit of fun with it. Beasts for crafting also aren't exactly rare, most of the recipes only require 1 yellow/red beast mods, the rest of the slots are just rare (or even normal) mobs of a certain species. The exception being things like split item and whatnot that take multiple yellow/red mods.

"I don't want to use my beasts in case they're for a good recipe" is different from "I don't want to use my chaos/exalted/alts/regals crafting items" how?

Last edited:

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
In what ways? I haven't paid attention to how the overwriting works when you get full but i'm going to assume it just gets rid of the oldest ones first, possibly lowest level ones first. If you don't care about the league mechanic anyways, does it even matter? Would it be better if they just put 50 beasts that make the good recipes on every map so people can just flood themselves with the good recipes they want without any effort or time involved?

Essence was my favorite. I hate that they gutted it.

Have we had different experiences with essence league and essences since? 99.9% of them are just as bad as most of the beastcrafts with a few being good so the only difference I can see is the mechanic in getting them.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
As far as the league goes, it's a crafting league. If you don't like crafting then why would you like a crafting leagues mechanics? That doesn't mean it's a shit league. I'm having quite a bit of fun with it. Beasts for crafting also aren't exactly rare, most of the recipes only require 1 yellow/red beast mods, the rest of the slots are just rare (or even normal) mobs of a certain species. The exception being things like split item and whatnot that take multiple yellow/red mods.

"I don't want to use my beasts in case they're for a good recipe" is different from "I don't want to use my chaos/exalted/alts/regals crafting items" how?
Limits on max beasts vs limits on currency. I already explained this in my first post.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Awesome strongbox drop..

3f6e9c3b5fff2e459cac3f64ffae0b5b.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Limits on max beasts vs limits on currency. I already explained this in my first post.

I have 39 creatures of the deep in my menagerie at the moment and I can get 5+ any time I want just by hopping in to 1 map that spawns that type of mob and throwing nets at all the rares in it. If they made it so you could hold 5,000 of every mob type in your menagerie, that would be what makes you think this league is good vs bad?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have 39 creatures of the deep in my menagerie at the moment and I can get 5+ any time I want just by hopping in to 1 map that spawns that type of mob and throwing nets at all the rares in it. If they made it so you could hold 5,000 of every mob type in your menagerie, that would be what makes you think this league is good vs bad?
No, that was just the part you responded to. I believe the limit is lower per type of the deep.

I want to feel like I can craft something useful with the beasts I've captured. Right now, it doesn't feel that way. Atziri fragments, horizon orbs, level 21 corrupted gems, that's it. I know there are a few very powerful crafting recipes. They did a very poor job of the power curve of the recipes.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
And the Horizon orbs were only added recently. And many of the recipes were bugged as fuck at launch, I did the bird boss and crashed like 3 times upon zoning before finding the right video settings that didn't crash the instance upon loading. And you can't easily keep up with how many recipes of what you can do as opposed to having a currency tab with everything. Here you need to tab between bestiary, recipes and actively fight the recipes ...

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
No, that was just the part you responded to. I believe the limit is lower per type of the deep.

I want to feel like I can craft something useful with the beasts I've captured. Right now, it doesn't feel that way. Atziri fragments, horizon orbs, level 21 corrupted gems, that's it. I know there are a few very powerful crafting recipes. They did a very poor job of the power curve of the recipes.

You can craft almost anything in the game through the blood altar whether it's specific uniques you want to go for or specific rares and then all the special stuff like aspects/splitting items, 10 random currency, seal/get prophecies, etc.

Got a belly of the beast prophecy this afternoon, went and completed it real quick, hit 6link in 38 jewellers and 30 fusings and then 50 chromes at vorici to get my 4b2r on it. There goes my rng for the day (i was and still am super tempted to vaal it for +1 gems but no balls).

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
You can craft almost anything in the game through the blood altar whether it's specific uniques you want to go for or specific rares and then all the special stuff like aspects/splitting items, 10 random currency, seal/get prophecies, etc.

Got a belly of the beast prophecy this afternoon, went and completed it real quick, hit 6link in 38 jewellers and 30 fusings and then 50 chromes at vorici to get my 4b2r on it. There goes my rng for the day (i was and still am super tempted to vaal it for +1 gems but no balls).
That's like saying you can get a headhunter for a few chance orbs and chaos.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
??

No, it's like saying the beast-crafting is not worse than essences or any of the other crafting that has ever been in this game. If you could just roll up, capture 4 beasts and get a 500ex set of gear from using them, would that make beastcrafting 'useful'?

Crafting is rng just like item drops, always has been and always will, whether that's essences or normal crafting or beastiary crafting.