Path of Exile

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Stole this from reddit. Thought it was worth it to post here. Haven't tried it yet but going to try tomorrow since I lost influence in BC.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok team better at POE than me, I just hit level 91 and have about 650C to my name. My character is HERE and i'm looking for advice. At level 12+ maps I've started to get to the point where random things can instagib me through 5.5k life and 6k armor with maxed resists. So either I need to up my DPS to rip through bosses/rares faster or I am missing something in how to run the build that i picked. This is only my second league to run a character to 90 so it might just be my inexperience; but if this is my character's top end I'd like to know what I could farm that would make me some real money because I guess I don't understand how people use budget builds and what they look for in low red tier maps to sell. Also, do any of you use helper programs/extensions to help farm?

From a quick look at it, if you want to pick up more life it I would drop the stuff south of the Duelist tree. For Sunder the stuff down there isnt very good, you are spending a lot of points for very middling nodes. You are right up against life in the Marauder and Ranger starting areas which will bring you up to high 6ks. As a hardcore player that wouldnt really satisfy me either and Id change the travel from Duelist to Ranger to grab the life nodes in between too. Something like ... Passive Skill Tree - Path of Exile .

The biggest issue I think you have is your potions. With the strong leech and good block rate with Rumi's, you should have no reason to be running more than 1 health potion. Hell, even in hardcore you dont run more than 1 life pot. Its time to use potions that will reduce that incoming damage rather than trying to deal with it once youve already been hit. Stuff like a basalt, which on its own will stop any out of the blue insta deaths to phys damage, and a quartz flask to help with those snake fuckers in Incursions.

Lastly, Leap Slam is just a far superior movement skill to Whirling Blades. Like James mentioned Fortify is a big survival tool and Id bet youre having trouble keeping it up with Whirling Blades. Sadly the skill just has a very small hitbox and its annoying to use it for Fortify. Leap Slam however has a nice big aoe and youll find your Fortify will have a much better uptime with no effort needed from you. Dont listen to James about dropping the Eclipse though.

If all that is working and youre starting to feel comfortable try dropping the Rumi's too for a Lion's Roar. The knockback on the Roar will keep anything melee far away from you and youll only have to worry about the big ranged hits.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
The best way to pick an effective build, barring being one of those guys that can actually create their own, is choosing a build from 1-2 leagues prior. Unless some big mechanics have changed, theyre usually just as effective and cost way less , so you can build up currency to blow on the meta of the month.
Chasing the latest new builds that the streamers post just makes u one of the plebs that end up wasting currency on high demand items , with prices jacked up 3-4x, like how I always get burnt.
Or if u can stomach it, just make a raider and farm blood aqueducts until u can make a windripper/mf build, then grind a high value white tier map until ur eyes bleed, and u should have enuf currency then to do whatever u want. With how much some watchers eyes can cost, coupled with some chase unique corruptions, u can never really have too much currency in this game - there’s always *something * u can strive (and go broke) for, no matter how rich u are

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What is the deal with Poorjoy's Asylum, the experience gain? Looted two of them today.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
What is the deal with Poorjoy's Asylum, the experience gain? Looted two of them today.

I was wondering the same thing about Perandus Manor. Why so expensive? I've gotten Perandus coins from some temples and don't know what use they have in this league.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I was wondering the same thing about Perandus Manor. Why so expensive? I've gotten Perandus coins from some temples and don't know what use they have in this league.
For Perandus Manor the reason it's so expensive is that it doesn't actually drop. You need to get it via div card or buy it from Perandus himself, who obviously doesn't spawn without a Perandus mod. Supposedly you might get it from the temple too I think?

For Poorjoy I think it's just cause it's a good xp map so people buy it for a lot to run it for leveling. They often run it in groups, although it seems half the groups are scams where the leader pockets all the maps then logs off.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
You've done extremely well breaking down the fight -- mechanically. Now it needs a little work on the presentation to make that mechanical information really accessible.

ANY information you write on the screen must be there for long enough that anyone can read it before you skip to the next scene. In this regard you do this extremely poorly. There's no where near enough time to read the text you put up without pausing the video. To fix this, re-watch the video in these parts and read the text out loud, word for word in a normal "narration-like" voice.

The cuts to black are terrible, jarring to the viewer and interrupt the train of thought.

Reducing the size of the explanation text, and using a black bar (rough guess would be the bottom of the screen), instead of the entire screen will tie in the words with the image and reinforce the message. It might even be a good idea to half or quarter speed the video at an info bar stage so that the viewer can see the action, and read the text without needing to lose focus on either one to absorb the info in a single pass.

You could also add some direction markers like arrows, or circles when talking things about Zana, Shaper Orbs, and Vortex Orbs. A simple circle of the object you are talking about will greatly enhance the speed of which a viewer can access this information.

Mucho appreciated on the feedback. I legit was learning on the fly(I haven't edited a video in 16+ years), so I was having a hard time figuring out how to extend the text duration without screwing up the sync. I knew I had the text on for too little time, but just did not have the know-how to extend it without fucking everything else up. I do agree with you on the fade to black; it was very jarring, but I don't know enough about the software I was using to make it easier to read over video(lots of white text over a busy video burns my eyes too). I also don't know how to add arrows or graphics into the video. I'll have to spend another day learning this stuff when I have more time for it. My main priority was just to mainly show the breakdown of abilities, how to play around them, and when the best time is to damage him. I'm glad even with the shittiest edit job, much of the lessons went through.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Got a 6L doomfletch off the temple boss. Worth making a build with or just sell it?

Edit - sorry 5L

Last edited:

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So this helmet dropped in the Temple the other day, and I completed my very first uber lab run on Hardcore ever today.

labenchant.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Question. I was checking out Raiz's 3 hour Poet Pen leveling technique, and he uses faster casting in one of his Poet's Pen. I thought faster casting didn't matter? Am I missing something?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Question. I was checking out Raiz's 3 hour Poet Pen leveling technique, and he uses faster casting in one of his Poet's Pen. I thought faster casting didn't matter? Am I missing something?
I am fairly sure that it does not but I would be interested to know that I am wrong. The only thing that affects it is global speed to the pen iirc.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
He doesn't use faster casting on poet pen as far as I could tell. He starts with inc crit+added lightning as his blue gems, and then when he hits 18 switches to elemental focus controlled destruction(and I think a conc effect instead in his single target setup). Other wand is typical LMP(GMP later), unearth, bodyswap. Actually doesn't even get a single faster casting, I thought he did but the link on his flamedash is crit strike because he wanted to level the gem for later.

Last edited:

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
For Perandus Manor the reason it's so expensive is that it doesn't actually drop. You need to get it via div card or buy it from Perandus himself, who obviously doesn't spawn without a Perandus mod. Supposedly you might get it from the temple too I think?

For Poorjoy I think it's just cause it's a good xp map so people buy it for a lot to run it for leveling. They often run it in groups, although it seems half the groups are scams where the leader pockets all the maps then logs off.

This is actually false UNLESS I had a Perandus mod on a map and didnt notice. Since you know a lot more about poe than me, I guess it had to be a perandus mod on the map, but I simply don't remember.

I got it doing sub tier 5 maps, and I explicitly remember it being an actual drop within another map and not the temple, because I was stoked as it was so expensive and I got it so early in the game and ported out to sell it immediately. I also remember linking it in guild chat after I realized how much it was worth (I thought it was a generic Chateau Map), and no one said a thing. lol

I ended up selling it for 4ex fairly early in the league.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
This is actually false UNLESS I had a Perandus mod on a map and didnt notice. Since you know a lot more about poe than me, I guess it had to be a perandus mod on the map, but I simply don't remember.

I got it doing sub tier 5 maps, and I explicitly remember it being an actual drop within another map and not the temple, because I was stoked as it was so expensive and I got it so early in the game and ported out to sell it immediately. I also remember linking it in guild chat after I realized how much it was worth (I thought it was a generic Chateau Map), and no one said a thing. lol

I ended up selling it for 4ex fairly early in the league.
Hmm that's what the wiki says and I don't think it was changed, although it was "re-added to the atlas" in the notes so it's possible it just drops now normally.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He doesn't use faster casting on poet pen as far as I could tell. He starts with inc crit+added lightning as his blue gems, and then when he hits 18 switches to elemental focus controlled destruction(and I think a conc effect instead in his single target setup). Other wand is typical LMP(GMP later), unearth, bodyswap. Actually doesn't even get a single faster casting, I thought he did but the link on his flamedash is crit strike because he wanted to level the gem for later.

You're probably right. I was just going from the comments in the youtube video
I did bodyswap/VD/elemental focus then swapped out conc effect for body swap on bosses and used pcoc for the blue slot in my unearth. Used thiefs torment/goldrim/lochtonials/wanderlust/karui charge (would've used seven step but I didn't know if I would level up another character and iddn't really feel like spending 3 ex. I figured since my resists were balanced I'd use wise oak with sulphur and experimenters addrenaline qs. I didn't time myself, but I'm pretty sure I hit act 10 in less then 3 hours (running pathfinder. The move speed is godly.)

I love leveling up new toons in this game when you just have all the twink gear and chaos to spend. I've learned a lot about leveling too going either spell/bow/melee route and I'm pretty comfortable with the different setups.

The next thing I want to improve on is learning the passive tree better and learning how the fuck damage is calculated. I think with those two pieces I'd be able to make my own off meta build from scratch and at least hit T15 maps.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ah yeah not sure why the guy in comments wrote that, I checked various points when his gems leveled and didn't see faster casting at all, it's not even linked to flame dash, and a bit before 18 in act 2 you can see him pick up 2 controlled destructions and 2 ele focus from the vendor to put in his wand(well one is from the quest reward).

Seven step definitely not worth it unless you have a ton of exalts to burn or you have them from a MF build TS windripper build or whatever, especially if you're using bodyswap since most of the time you're just teleporting around anyway.

I haven't leveled a twinked char in forever. I think the last time it was still Silverbranch when it was +2 and caustic arrow when it was still called poison arrow, which judging from the wiki is before 1.0 lol. Maybe firetrap with the old prenerf searing touch(also god did that unique get nerfed into shit, both from nerfing it to +2 only and moving it to fucking 60 req). I did most of my experimenting and mass leveling back then, I was playing only poe all day for months just relvling chars and shit, and after that I generally only play one char per league.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Poorjoys Asylum is still some if not the best XP in the game currently when youre leveling to 100. There is also a div card called Chaotic Disposition that drops there, you can fund your own rotation with some people if you just save those for buying more maps.

Highest screenshot of XPH i have seen to date was Poorjoys on a quill rain ele hit. They smoked the XPH i was able to do on 4 sextant elder underground seas.