Path of Exile

Xevy

Log Wizard
Are you sure about that? Here's what I'm having trouble balancing whenever I try to make a tanky CoC build in PoB:
  • Tankyness
  • High APS and CPS
  • Crit rate/consistency(these are separate for some skills like Cyclone)
  • CoC kept on cooldown
To get the last three, I almost always have to go Assassin.

The trick is to get APS or Crit from charges/ascendancy. Then get whichever you didn't from jewels/eyes/passives. So for instance if you want high APS you could go Raider and stack Frenzy charges for 5-7 frenzy charges. That's going to give a fuck ton of attack speed. Then invest in dagger/claw/sword nodes that give you the crit you lack. Trickster may be the ascendancy of choice as it easily gains power and frenzy charges giving both APS and crit.

I've also been thinking Jugg as you can easily stack crit on items/jewels and your APS scales slowly with your accuracy which you get a fuckton of due to the ascendancy. Jugg of course would be favorable if you want tankiness as they inherently get a billion endurance charges.

In terms of skills from what I see the highest base crit attack I can find is explosive arrow (wtf) at 6% base. That + a good harbinger bow and you should be in decent business crit wise. You need to crit every .15 seconds, so if you attack 10 times a second and crit 70% of the time you should basically meet that threshold. The only crit attack classes I remember having specifically are flicker strike, but they were always around 13APS and 65% crit chance (without diamond up). So I think it's pretty possible. That's not even including Assassin's Mark and diamond flasks etc. If you get your crit up to 65% and APS over 10, you could probably get a good Warlord's or Poacher's setup and that would help survivability greatly. For tankiness I think we'll mostly rely on pristine fossils %life mod armor (unless CI is new meta which it may be) and if you go trickster you could definitely go MoM if you use a movement skill like cyclone or conc path for free.

OR you can just stack crit and groundslam the fuck out of everything with Bright Beak. That alone should make your APS close to where you need it and you can just invest in a shit ton of passives and jewels.

Edit: Okay explosive arrow only has crit inherent on its explosion, not the phys attack. So all attack skills are base 0 crit chance which makes sense because you get the base crit from your weapon type.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The trick is to get APS or Crit from charges/ascendancy. Then get whichever you didn't from jewels/eyes/passives. So for instance if you want high APS you could go Raider and stack Frenzy charges for 5-7 frenzy charges. That's going to give a fuck ton of attack speed. Then invest in dagger/claw/sword nodes that give you the crit you lack. Trickster may be the ascendancy of choice as it easily gains power and frenzy charges giving both APS and crit.

I've also been thinking Jugg as you can easily stack crit on items/jewels and your APS scales slowly with your accuracy which you get a fuckton of due to the ascendancy. Jugg of course would be favorable if you want tankiness as they inherently get a billion endurance charges.

In terms of skills from what I see the highest base crit attack I can find is explosive arrow (wtf) at 6% base. That + a good harbinger bow and you should be in decent business crit wise. You need to crit every .15 seconds, so if you attack 10 times a second and crit 70% of the time you should basically meet that threshold. The only crit attack classes I remember having specifically are flicker strike, but they were always around 13APS and 65% crit chance (without diamond up). So I think it's pretty possible. That's not even including Assassin's Mark and diamond flasks etc. If you get your crit up to 65% and APS over 10, you could probably get a good Warlord's or Poacher's setup and that would help survivability greatly. For tankiness I think we'll mostly rely on pristine fossils %life mod armor (unless CI is new meta which it may be) and if you go trickster you could definitely go MoM if you use a movement skill like cyclone or conc path for free.

OR you can just stack crit and groundslam the fuck out of everything with Bright Beak. That alone should make your APS close to where you need it and you can just invest in a shit ton of passives and jewels.

Edit: Okay explosive arrow only has crit inherent on its explosion, not the phys attack. So all attack skills are base 0 crit chance which makes sense because you get the base crit from your weapon type.

When I think tanky, that basically means jugg or occultist(if going CI). That could be my own personal hang ups but I've yet to play other ascendencies that can compensate for my tendency to fuckup as well as a jugg or multi curse occultist.

I'll have to test it out, but numbers I've heard is that you need a crit rate north of 90% if you're using a trigger skill like Cyclone. Cycloning through a pack and not critting once due to how that shitty mechanic rolls is feelbadman.

Another huge benefit to Assassin is the 100% more crit on enemies on full life. This really simplifies the crit requirements and makes clearing quite consistent.

Oh, forgot to ask, why is ground slam frequently paired with CoC? Is it just for historical reasons? As a trigger mechanism, it seems quite poor compared to something like Barrage, Cyclone, Molten Strike and even Static Strike.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just think Mathil did it back in the day caused it looked silly having a groundslamming witch casting spells

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That could be my own personal hang ups but I've yet to play other ascendencies that can compensate for my tendency to fuckup as well as a jugg or multi curse occultist.

Gladiator, Saboteur, and Chieftan Totems are very tanky in terms of saving your ass in a fuckup. If you go full on evasion Ranger is really tanky too, for pretty much the same reason Gladiator is, except Dodge is way better than Block. Made it to 90 once with a Bladeflurry Dreamfeather Raider before ripping to Corrupted Blood, had about 30k evasion and 66/56 dodge/spell dodge, so still plenty of room to grow the tankiness.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I played Trickster CoC Discharge way back when I still played Hardcore. This was like, pre-Breach. I don't know what his crit was, but he used a vagan dagger and cyclone with Voll's protector and Voll's devotion as Korrupt linked earlier. The way cyclone works, or did work, is that when you click it it rolls crit. So basically you just did a bunch of mini clicks in small circles and it easily crit and procced CoC. It fucking destroyed bosses when I had 6 power/6 end charges. I had 6 power charges so I'm sure my crit was near 75% and it was more than enough.

I just said Groundslam because it has a huge area inherently and you can use it with Bright Beak. I even did a mock-up of what it COULD look like. The damage is probably lacking and the jewels are way too good to have 5 of, but something like this would be easy to do and would probably work up until T15:

Passive Skill Tree - Path of Exile

Edit: hold on, don't know why it's throwing me to official passive tree. Trying to get PoB code:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Cyclone still works that way. I know the smaller the better I just can't ever seem to commit that to muscle memory.

Is there a reason crit isn't rolled per hit like everything else?

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Currently crit is rolled per attack, not per hit....which is kinda silly. Multistrike does the same thing where if the first attack hits, the next two will. Works that way with ruthless support as well. Seems really clunky and silly at this point.

Spamming F5 currently...where my patch notes?!?!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
one thing annoying about them releasing patch notes like this is it really does make it a bitch to figure out a starting build

Xevy

Log Wizard
It's even worse as we have to wait for patch notes and THEN wait for the PoBuilding update from the patch notes. And even then the uniques aren't going to be in PoB database for like 2 weeks or so probably. You can custom create the uniques but it doesn't always work as well.

This wait is painful though. They usually release these fucking things at like late night EST time. Thank god I'm a nocturnal creature or I'd be pissed waiting all day for notes, not getting them, then having to go to bed and wait until after work the next day to really go over them.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Alright nerds who know way more about this than me - molten strike base buffs make up for the nerf in helmet enchant, or is skill dead?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
also i'm calling a stealth pp nerf, they always have some stealth shit in there. Hope not though cause i'm going PP eventually if it's not nerfed

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Zerphi's Last Breath now grants a buff when you use a skill during the flask's effect. This buff recovers 450-600% of the skill's mana cost as life per second. This buff (and the healing) is removed when you are hit. This affects all versions of the item.
Blood of Corruption's Gluttony of Elements skill now prevents those affected by the aura from gaining Vaal souls. This affects all versions of the item.

Welp, those problems are over and done with!