Path of Exile

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

chris wilson on dropped frames

I like chris and appreciate what he's done but they really need someone else to do these videos. He's so high level right now he literally can't answer or talk to almost anything of substance (to players) when it comes to POE. Like, he was just asked about quill rain and his answer was he heard last night that players were very upset but told the guy telling him he was busy and never looked back into it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

chris wilson on dropped frames

I like chris and appreciate what he's done but they really need someone else to do these videos. He's so high level right now he literally can't answer or talk to almost anything of substance (to players) when it comes to POE. Like, he was just asked about quill rain and his answer was he heard last night that players were very upset but told the guy telling him he was busy and never looked back into it.
He seemed alright on Baeclast, but he had at least a few devs in a chat room answering questions as they came up.

Ziz looks like some anime villain.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
He seemed alright on Baeclast, but he had at least a few devs in a chat room answering questions as they came up.

Ziz looks like some anime villain.

ya he can't answer any pertinent questions so far, he needs devs behind him (or in his place).

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
If anyone needs advice or has questions PM me in Discord, I can always add you to our guilds whose is active as well and can help answer questions.

Korrupt Korrupt in FoH Discord

• 1Like

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
About 250k dps and 6k life can beat the entire game, but there will be many caveats on the defensive portion of the benchmark.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
Did blasphemy get changed? Updated PoB and a simple enfeeble + blasphemy is now reserving 49% of my mana.
NM essence worm

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I just started fucking around with this Sunday night (the end of my 2 week vacation no less, when I could have been fucking playing every day...alas), and I guess I'm fortunate that a new league is starting, but I really have no fucking clue what is going on with most of this game. I mean, I've played all the Diablos (even the first one, when it came out!), and a shitton of Grim Dawn, so I understand the genre.

I went back a month on this thread and have read everything up to present, and I've watched a bunch of beginner videos, etc. (including a bunch from Engineering Eternity) so I have a decent grasp of what I don't understand, and I am not looking for hand-holding or anything like that, but I see you guys talking about these patch notes and I realize I have zero clue what all the ramifications are, what they used to be like and why people like/dislike the changes, etc.

So, while I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way, all I really want now is some advice on a decent league starter that is also good for an almost complete newbie. I've played around with a couple of characters already just to get a feel for the different mechanics, and from stuff I've played in the past I feel like my natural inclination for a first character is going to be some sort of tanky melee class that, when geared and skilled relatively decently, will be tough to kill unless I do something really stupid. I'm ok with it taking a little longer to kill things than someone more experienced would tolerate, because I don't know shit and I just need to learn the game this league, not rush to end content and earning shekels. I'm positive I would suck at that right now anyway. And even if buying/selling is as easy as everyone says, I don't really want a build that is going to require me to go out and find a couple specific items to work properly either. I'm not going to play SSF, but I don't know what my buying potential will be either, so just looking for a generic good build.

I have seen that Juggernaut is supposed to be super tanky, although I'm not locked into that or anything. I fucked around with Molten Strike a little, and I'm not super-thrilled with that mechanic. And while I haven't actually played any of these, I'm also not really excited about whatever that jump-slam movement ability is, it almost looks like you're teleporting forward constantly and then smashing the ground/mobs. Nor do I want to just endlessly whirlwind across the screen. I know, those are probably some of the best abilities for clearing super fast, and I'm sure eventually I'll be tired of killing shit slowly, but for now, which builds will let me do decent aoe damage (and single target, of course), and maybe have some nice auras or casts when I get hit, that sort of thing. I know I'm not describing it very well, but before I knew even this little bit, I saw some videos where it looked like the character had a damaging aura or the poison rain (which I understand is being nerfed?) that reacted automatically, not something I had to constantly click to activate (like, I'm not a fan of Molten Shield/Aura/whatever it is called, and that only does damage when it ends). My click ability I'm hoping for something like a ground smash or shocking burst or something.

I'm not opposed to having some minions that help me out, or are created when I attack or get hit, but not really feeling totems at all, and I haven't tried traps so not sure if that's what I'm looking for, probably not. I don't want the main focus to be minions or traps or bows or spells. The main thing I want to do is smash faces with a weapon, and have crazy shit going off around me when I do it, and when stuff hits me, or just when I get near them, whatever. And I want to be tanky. I know what PoB is, and have stared at it endlessly, but I know I'm not smart enough to make my own build yet. I can follow instructions from one though, I think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And sorry if I'm being too picky or too vague or just too much of a n00b that I don't know what I'm talking about. I freely admit all of those things.

P.S. My VERY first drop in the entire game that wasn't a white was a Tabula Rasa. Not shitting you at all. I thought it was just some "shitty unique" that everyone got, because of the lack of stats, and almost vendored it, except that I am a hoarder so who am I kidding, I hold onto literally everything that I'm unsure of. But I thought it was terrible and didn't use it for awhile. Until I learned how the augments worked. Now I'm just super bummed because I won't be able to use it when the league starts :( I guarantee I won't see one the entire league now.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I just started fucking around with this Sunday night (the end of my 2 week vacation no less, when I could have been fucking playing every day...alas), and I guess I'm fortunate that a new league is starting, but I really have no fucking clue what is going on with most of this game. I mean, I've played all the Diablos (even the first one, when it came out!), and a shitton of Grim Dawn, so I understand the genre.

I went back a month on this thread and have read everything up to present, and I've watched a bunch of beginner videos, etc. (including a bunch from Engineering Eternity) so I have a decent grasp of what I don't understand, and I am not looking for hand-holding or anything like that, but I see you guys talking about these patch notes and I realize I have zero clue what all the ramifications are, what they used to be like and why people like/dislike the changes, etc.

So, while I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way, all I really want now is some advice on a decent league starter that is also good for an almost complete newbie. I've played around with a couple of characters already just to get a feel for the different mechanics, and from stuff I've played in the past I feel like my natural inclination for a first character is going to be some sort of tanky melee class that, when geared and skilled relatively decently, will be tough to kill unless I do something really stupid. I'm ok with it taking a little longer to kill things than someone more experienced would tolerate, because I don't know shit and I just need to learn the game this league, not rush to end content and earning shekels. I'm positive I would suck at that right now anyway. And even if buying/selling is as easy as everyone says, I don't really want a build that is going to require me to go out and find a couple specific items to work properly either. I'm not going to play SSF, but I don't know what my buying potential will be either, so just looking for a generic good build.

I have seen that Juggernaut is supposed to be super tanky, although I'm not locked into that or anything. I fucked around with Molten Strike a little, and I'm not super-thrilled with that mechanic. And while I haven't actually played any of these, I'm also not really excited about whatever that jump-slam movement ability is, it almost looks like you're teleporting forward constantly and then smashing the ground/mobs. Nor do I want to just endlessly whirlwind across the screen. I know, those are probably some of the best abilities for clearing super fast, and I'm sure eventually I'll be tired of killing shit slowly, but for now, which builds will let me do decent aoe damage (and single target, of course), and maybe have some nice auras or casts when I get hit, that sort of thing. I know I'm not describing it very well, but before I knew even this little bit, I saw some videos where it looked like the character had a damaging aura or the poison rain (which I understand is being nerfed?) that reacted automatically, not something I had to constantly click to activate (like, I'm not a fan of Molten Shield/Aura/whatever it is called, and that only does damage when it ends). My click ability I'm hoping for something like a ground smash or shocking burst or something.

I'm not opposed to having some minions that help me out, or are created when I attack or get hit, but not really feeling totems at all, and I haven't tried traps so not sure if that's what I'm looking for, probably not. I don't want the main focus to be minions or traps or bows or spells. The main thing I want to do is smash faces with a weapon, and have crazy shit going off around me when I do it, and when stuff hits me, or just when I get near them, whatever. And I want to be tanky. I know what PoB is, and have stared at it endlessly, but I know I'm not smart enough to make my own build yet. I can follow instructions from one though, I think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And sorry if I'm being too picky or too vague or just too much of a n00b that I don't know what I'm talking about. I freely admit all of those things.

P.S. My VERY first drop in the entire game that wasn't a white was a Tabula Rasa. Not shitting you at all. I thought it was just some "shitty unique" that everyone got, because of the lack of stats, and almost vendored it, except that I am a hoarder so who am I kidding, I hold onto literally everything that I'm unsure of. But I thought it was terrible and didn't use it for awhile. Until I learned how the augments worked. Now I'm just super bummed because I won't be able to use it when the league starts :( I guarantee I won't see one the entire league now.

after you're done with these (this is a 10 part series) start watching his other guide series.

honestly with this game, playing, following build guides and watching beginner / more advanced guides on youtube is your only option. maybe 2 of the three of those, but it will slow your progress down a ton if you don't consume all three

game is too big and complicated to just jump in and try to ask questions as they come up, you'll likely quit within a week or two.

• 1Like

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Been playing since close beta in 2013, still have many of the same questions about my builds that you have. The fun is figuring out if it works or not, and the only way to do that is to play what you've designed!

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Well, for passive damage there's righteous fire, which is really good later on, but for a newb probably a pain to understand/build for. There's also Death's Oath chestpiece but that's hipster shit. Orb of Storms might be good as you basically just run around holding it down and it auto-aims for you. That's a new skill so we don't know all about it.

For passive minions Herald of Purity is good if you're going phys. It pops little herald bois to help you beat on shit and it's passive so you don't have to do anything nor do you have to gear/gem for them. Only really practical for physical builds and maybe weird minion builds.

For movement abilities Consecrated Path (the teleport slam you were talking about) is currently the Cadilac of movement abilities. It's very fast and effective and unlike flicker strike which is faster, it doesn't use frenzy charges and has no cooldown. For other abilities there's whirling blades which is just a dash, flame dash which is a 3 charge dash short range, lightning warp which is pretty garbage unless you gem it up, leap slam which is decent but based off attack speed, and shield charge which is a lot of peoples preferences which is basically whirling blades but slightly slower and with a larger area hit for proccing fortify etc.

If you want to be tanky, Jugg is where it's at. Jugg, then Warchief, then Gladiator with block, and then Occultist for energy shield builds. Honestly you may like a blocking Gladiator build as you could be pretty tanky, use Herald of Purity for minions, use shield charge or whirling blades or leap slam, and there may not be passive clearing but they get an AE explosion from kills that help clear screens pretty fast. Can always look for classic Sunder Gladiator build. Should be like 30,000 available. It's great for clearing and for single target you just run Vaal Double Strike in a 4 link item and it melts bosses.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

after you're done with these start watching his other guide videos.

honestly with this game, playing, following build guides and watching beginner / more advanced guides on youtube is your only option. maybe 2 of the three of those, but it will slow your progress down a ton if you don't consume all three

game is too big and complicated to just jump in and try to ask questions as they come up, you'll likely quit within a week or two.
I've watched that entire series and a bunch of his other ones. And several from other people. Just watched a bunch of his league starter build ones last night, but from what I'm reading now it looks like several of those might be nerfed?

Been playing since close beta in 2013, still have many of the same questions about my builds that you have. The fun is figuring out if it works or not, and the only way to do that is to play what you've designed!

Yeah, I know that I'm attempting to bite off a lot right now, and I don't think I'll just up and quit because it is too hard. I've done what playing I could this week with having to go back to work, and between watching videos. I've spent more time watching videos than playing, actually. And I'll follow a build guide, which is what I'm hoping to get some direction with right now, but obviously I'm not going to do much more than just mess with different base classes until the league starts, to see what I like. So I'm trying to do all 3 of those options Kiroy mentioned, but I don't even necessarily know which build guides would fit my play style, so I was hoping for a little nudge perhaps.

Ok, so let's try this another way. How would this look for someone like me? Comments seem to indicate it is decently close to what I'm looking for.

Forum - Templar - [3.4 Video Guide] Dominating Blow "Call to Arms" League Starter Build - Path of Exile

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I've watched that entire series and a bunch of his other ones. And several from other people. Just watched a bunch of his league starter build ones last night, but from what I'm reading now it looks like several of those might be nerfed?

Yeah, I know that I'm attempting to bite off a lot right now, and I don't think I'll just up and quit because it is too hard. I've done what playing I could this week with having to go back to work, and between watching videos. I've spent more time watching videos than playing, actually. And I'll follow a build guide, which is what I'm hoping to get some direction with right now, but obviously I'm not going to do much more than just mess with different base classes until the league starts, to see what I like. So I'm trying to do all 3 of those options Kiroy mentioned, but I don't even necessarily know which build guides would fit my play style, so I was hoping for a little nudge perhaps.

Ok, so let's try this another way. How would this look for someone like me? Comments seem to indicate it is decently close to what I'm looking for.

Forum - Templar - [3.4 Video Guide] Dominating Blow "Call to Arms" League Starter Build - Path of Exile

the usual suspects (mathil, ziggy, raiz, zizarian) will all likely drop league starter videos updated for 3.5 later today or very early tomorrow

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well, for passive damage there's righteous fire, which is really good later on, but for a newb probably a pain to understand/build for. There's also Death's Oath chestpiece but that's hipster shit. Orb of Storms might be good as you basically just run around holding it down and it auto-aims for you. That's a new skill so we don't know all about it.

For passive minions Herald of Purity is good if you're going phys. It pops little herald bois to help you beat on shit and it's passive so you don't have to do anything nor do you have to gear/gem for them. Only really practical for physical builds and maybe weird minion builds.

For movement abilities Consecrated Path (the teleport slam you were talking about) is currently the Cadilac of movement abilities. It's very fast and effective and unlike flicker strike which is faster, it doesn't use frenzy charges and has no cooldown. For other abilities there's whirling blades which is just a dash, flame dash which is a 3 charge dash short range, lightning warp which is pretty garbage unless you gem it up, leap slam which is decent but based off attack speed, and shield charge which is a lot of peoples preferences which is basically whirling blades but slightly slower and with a larger area hit for proccing fortify etc.

If you want to be tanky, Jugg is where it's at. Jugg, then Warchief, then Gladiator with block, and then Occultist for energy shield builds. Honestly you may like a blocking Gladiator build as you could be pretty tanky, use Herald of Purity for minions, use shield charge or whirling blades or leap slam, and there may not be passive clearing but they get an AE explosion from kills that help clear screens pretty fast. Can always look for classic Sunder Gladiator build. Should be like 30,000 available. It's great for clearing and for single target you just run Vaal Double Strike in a 4 link item and it melts bosses.
Awesome, that's the sort of thing I was looking for. Now I have some more shit to research and try to see if I might like it. I guess I was totally mistaken about those movement skills, I sort of assumed those were the actual attack abilities, not movement abilities. So I don't necessarily have to teleport all over the place like a lunatic unless I want to with something like Consecrated Path, correct?

I might look for something Consecrated Path and Herald of Purity specific. I think that's going to be interesting to me. Thanks!