Path of Exile

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
the usual suspects (mathil, ziggy, raiz, zizarian) will all likely drop league starter videos updated for 3.5 later today or very early tomorrow
Awesome, thank you! Now if only I were capable of multi-tasking and could play and watch videos at the same time. Unfortunately, I know myself enough to admit that I cannot, so looks like mostly video watching for the next 2 days.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
P.S. My VERY first drop in the entire game that wasn't a white was a Tabula Rasa. Not shitting you at all. I thought it was just some "shitty unique" that everyone got, because of the lack of stats, and almost vendored it, except that I am a hoarder so who am I kidding, I hold onto literally everything that I'm unsure of. But I thought it was terrible and didn't use it for awhile. Until I learned how the augments worked. Now I'm just super bummed because I won't be able to use it when the league starts :( I guarantee I won't see one the entire league now.

Just wait for LiftingNerdBro's starter builds. He does them every league I think.

Also Tabulas are very common. You can farm one in a few hours in Aqueducts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Awesome, thank you! Now if only I were capable of multi-tasking and could play and watch videos at the same time. Unfortunately, I know myself enough to admit that I cannot, so looks like mostly video watching for the next 2 days.

it wont' take long to take em in, they'll most likely overlap and are usually like 30-40 mins long, plus you can just skip over the builds you know you don't wanna try

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Oh, one other thing. WTF does THICC mean? Is it really just slang for thick, like a bootylicious chick, and that's the cool kids term for an amazing item or build? Or does it actually stand for something in PoE?

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is it really just slang for thick, like a bootylicious chick, and that's the cool kids term for an amazing item or build?

Are you implying that the Juggernaut is not by definition bootylicious?

• 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Actual representation of a Thicc Jugg.

thiccjugg.png

• 4Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Oh, one other thing. WTF does THICC mean? Is it really just slang for thick, like a bootylicious chick, and that's the cool kids term for an amazing item or build? Or does it actually stand for something in PoE?
You are correct that it’s just slang for a chick with a sweet booty. It also ties into the GG and CC of Jugg and Thicc.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Hopefully tomorrow some of the big streamers start dropping some class guides. Curious to see what they come up with for lancing steel....

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thinking about adding Indigon to my Mom Occultist, can easily get 800+ mana use a sec and still have plenty of ES recharge to not die!

Xevy

Log Wizard
I already have like 5 builds I want to do. Fuck. I should just give up and start Spectres and then build my fun characters like 3 days in when my summoner is maxed and 90+.

Watching Mathil hammered reading patch notes is pretty lulzy. He just shits on every chest that isn't Loreweave after the flask change. He also wanted to skip the Unique Item changes because they were so long.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I just started fucking around with this Sunday night (the end of my 2 week vacation no less, when I could have been fucking playing every day...alas), and I guess I'm fortunate that a new league is starting, but I really have no fucking clue what is going on with most of this game. I mean, I've played all the Diablos (even the first one, when it came out!), and a shitton of Grim Dawn, so I understand the genre.

I went back a month on this thread and have read everything up to present, and I've watched a bunch of beginner videos, etc. (including a bunch from Engineering Eternity) so I have a decent grasp of what I don't understand, and I am not looking for hand-holding or anything like that, but I see you guys talking about these patch notes and I realize I have zero clue what all the ramifications are, what they used to be like and why people like/dislike the changes, etc.

So, while I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way, all I really want now is some advice on a decent league starter that is also good for an almost complete newbie. I've played around with a couple of characters already just to get a feel for the different mechanics, and from stuff I've played in the past I feel like my natural inclination for a first character is going to be some sort of tanky melee class that, when geared and skilled relatively decently, will be tough to kill unless I do something really stupid. I'm ok with it taking a little longer to kill things than someone more experienced would tolerate, because I don't know shit and I just need to learn the game this league, not rush to end content and earning shekels. I'm positive I would suck at that right now anyway. And even if buying/selling is as easy as everyone says, I don't really want a build that is going to require me to go out and find a couple specific items to work properly either. I'm not going to play SSF, but I don't know what my buying potential will be either, so just looking for a generic good build.

I have seen that Juggernaut is supposed to be super tanky, although I'm not locked into that or anything. I fucked around with Molten Strike a little, and I'm not super-thrilled with that mechanic. And while I haven't actually played any of these, I'm also not really excited about whatever that jump-slam movement ability is, it almost looks like you're teleporting forward constantly and then smashing the ground/mobs. Nor do I want to just endlessly whirlwind across the screen. I know, those are probably some of the best abilities for clearing super fast, and I'm sure eventually I'll be tired of killing shit slowly, but for now, which builds will let me do decent aoe damage (and single target, of course), and maybe have some nice auras or casts when I get hit, that sort of thing. I know I'm not describing it very well, but before I knew even this little bit, I saw some videos where it looked like the character had a damaging aura or the poison rain (which I understand is being nerfed?) that reacted automatically, not something I had to constantly click to activate (like, I'm not a fan of Molten Shield/Aura/whatever it is called, and that only does damage when it ends). My click ability I'm hoping for something like a ground smash or shocking burst or something.

I'm not opposed to having some minions that help me out, or are created when I attack or get hit, but not really feeling totems at all, and I haven't tried traps so not sure if that's what I'm looking for, probably not. I don't want the main focus to be minions or traps or bows or spells. The main thing I want to do is smash faces with a weapon, and have crazy shit going off around me when I do it, and when stuff hits me, or just when I get near them, whatever. And I want to be tanky. I know what PoB is, and have stared at it endlessly, but I know I'm not smart enough to make my own build yet. I can follow instructions from one though, I think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And sorry if I'm being too picky or too vague or just too much of a n00b that I don't know what I'm talking about. I freely admit all of those things.

P.S. My VERY first drop in the entire game that wasn't a white was a Tabula Rasa. Not shitting you at all. I thought it was just some "shitty unique" that everyone got, because of the lack of stats, and almost vendored it, except that I am a hoarder so who am I kidding, I hold onto literally everything that I'm unsure of. But I thought it was terrible and didn't use it for awhile. Until I learned how the augments worked. Now I'm just super bummed because I won't be able to use it when the league starts :( I guarantee I won't see one the entire league now.

I will be in the discord voice on league open, as well some others im sure. People will help, but looking at the guides posted above, really, will answer a lot.

I just played and played and eventually got the hang of things. But I STILL always use a build guide, and I am still confused about whats super valuable on loot vs. not. This game is probably one of the most in-depth games that exist.

• 1Solidarity

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Month before patch:
"ehhhh I'm kinda burnt out from last time so nah"

Day before patch:
"Holy fuck does this work now? Confirm? Might roll it"

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Does the patch roll out with the league start, or can I dick around with the changes in standard?