Path of Exile

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'd guess processor or graphic card overload before packet loss, but I'm no expert and I could easily be wrong.

My fucking friends and family starting to watch a movie on Plex fucks me far too often. And if they make the mistake of trying to play a 4K copy, which I've repeatedly told them not to, it brings my ENTIRE computer to a screeching halt for 5-10 minutes until it gives up and aborts the transcode. I should probably just put all my 4K stuff in a different folder they can't access, now that I type that out.

Probably not your issue, but if you have anything else at all running in the background, even the random anti-virus update that isn't supposed to happen when you are doing anything, it can cause something like you're talking about. I have task manager up on my other monitor a lot specifically to watch Plex and PoE usage, and randomly I'll see all kinds of weird shit take up processor time that I wouldn't expect. Fucking browser updates even. It can be maddening if it affects your game.

Graphic card overload could be the other cause. Like if you watch those videos linked here recently about the guy with the "A rain of Ice and Fire" build, etc. that not only practically melts his card, but also causes the calculations/renderings on the server side to back up so much that eventually the instance just crashes. I've had that a few times as well, some pack of mobs with a shitload of effects combines with my shitload of ability affects, and everything just stops for a bit, and then catches up super fast like you are describing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Separate issue, so making a separate post. I actually googled this, but couldn't find anything detailing exactly how it works, or wasn't several years old.

I use Double Strike, so if I buy a helm that has "40% more Double Strike damage", will that be as big of a boost as I'm thinking it will be? Or is that another one of those things where raw damage numbers or global damage would be a bigger increase?

I'm not really sure how the damage works in the first place. The gem says "Perform two fast attacks on target enemy with a melee weapon." And then (for the current level of my gem) it says, "Deals 90.2% of base damage." There is no actual raw number, so I'm assuming you go to my weapon stats. I'm unsure of how dual-wielding fucks everything up, so for convenience, let's just say that I only have one weapon and it deals 100 physical damage. That would seem to me to indicate that every time I Double Strike, it does (.90*100)*2=180 damage.

Now, it also says on the gem "Effectiveness of added damage: 90%." I'm unclear if that means every time I attack with Dual Strike, it actually does my normal attack (100) + (.90*100) = 190 instead of the 180 above.

That makes a difference in multiple ways, one of which is the 40% more damage helm. If the 40% ONLY applies to the second strike (.90*100), then I'm only gaining another 36 damage ((.9*100)*.4), for a total of (100+90)+36=226 (19% increase). But if it really is calculated 90*2, that would mean I get 36*2 from the helm, or (90+90)*1.4=252 (40% increase like the helm says).

I'm also completely ignoring elemental damage, but I'm assuming that it will work whatever way the physical damage works too, just separately for each element. It is also slightly possible that the entire Double Strike "process" includes more than just what I've laid out, but I think I've got a rough idea of both extremes that it could be.

That means that if it is only the 19% increase, I could save a ton of currency and find a way to increase my global damage by that much instead. I don't have one to try on and do some number crunching obviously, so does anyone know at all how it works?

(Yes, bored at work and all I do is read PoE shit!)

Xevy

Log Wizard
Is there a clear-cut best Herald to use? Or is that specific to his build? I'm using Herald of Ash myself, but only because I had it lying around.

Very much depends on if you need clear speed or more raw damage as well as what type of damage you want. Big ol' phys fire tectonic slam type build? Ash. Caster without inpulsas or some sort of explosion? Herald of Ice. Stacking flat ele? Herald of Thunder.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So last night was doing red maps. Had three times where the screen froze then caught up super fast. All three resulted in deaths. My guess is that was sync + some packet loss. I’m gong to do a hard reset on my router (I’m hard wired out of the router) then do a trace.

Pisses me off. Ranger is already squishy, but to lose a third of a level to that shit was annoying. Anyone else got some suggestions?

My understanding is neither that item filters nor the item check macro can cause these issues.

Look at my video at 3:10. Is this kinda what you see?

From what I understand there's simply too much data and the poe servers can't hang. It will freeze the client. This happens when you have a case especially with a lot of things going on -- in my case, it was a breach, and a vaal totem/mod where many monsters couldn't die. Then when they finally died they all died at about the same time so all that data needs to go through.

There was a write up GGG made here: Forum - Development Manifesto - Performance Improvements - Path of Exile

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Very much depends on if you need clear speed or more raw damage as well as what type of damage you want. Big ol' phys fire tectonic slam type build? Ash. Caster without inpulsas or some sort of explosion? Herald of Ice. Stacking flat ele? Herald of Thunder.
Double strike jugg with melee splash, essentially. Sounds like ash is fine for my build then? I always need more dps, and while my clear speed isn't anywhere near other builds, I clear trash just fine. It's mainly bosses and Syndicates that I need more for. And the vast majority of my damage is physical.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It's blue and sounds different. But better dps for your build.

Ok, I tried it and I like it. I'll roll with it.

Here's another video with ice herald ha. T15 map. I do 3 incursions and 2 breaches on it (separate from map clear so its slow, normally I do it as I come across). Didn't kill boss (in video) and didnt bother with syndicate. However, the syndicate was interesting, I just learned through this map, that transportation will keep the enemies that spawn on the map itself, which is bizarre, even if they escape. I think that's a bug, since they dont give exp (I presume the exp comes from picking the choices after capture).

I think I spent like 20ex on this build, but most of the money went toward the skill gems. Having a level 15 brand recall is incredible since the cooldown is so fast. Maybe now I can just get my flasks in order... heh. Also need something like flame dash to get around obstacles.

Anyway, enjoy.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Here's another video with ice herald ha. T15 map. I do 3 incursions and 2 breaches on it (separate from map clear so its slow, normally I do it as I come across). Didn't kill boss (in video) and didnt bother with syndicate. However, the syndicate was interesting, I just learned through this map, that transportation will keep the enemies that spawn on the map itself, which is bizarre, even if they escape. I think that's a bug, since they dont give exp (I presume the exp comes from picking the choices after capture).

I think I spent like 20ex on this build, but most of the money went toward the skill gems. Having a level 15 brand recall is incredible since the cooldown is so fast. Maybe now I can just get my flasks in order... heh. Also need something like flame dash to get around obstacles.

Anyway, enjoy.

Why the fuck am I playing melee????

• 1Worf

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Anyway, enjoy.

You seriously didn't consider HoI previously?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't think about it. I started with armageddon brand and I guess ash just persisted when I switched. I never said I was good at this game.
You spent around 20EX on your gear and most of that was on skill gems? Gems? Like lvl21 corrupted gems?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
You spent around 20EX on your gear and most of that was on skill gems? Gems? Like lvl21 corrupted gems?

Well, a large part of it was, yeah. That and jewels. I have several level 21 gems, and more to go! Just saving up for it. I think this and the jugg are going to be my only 2 builds this league and my jugg is mostly all set.

View Profile - Path of Exile - RexieRabbit

1547082534633.png

Last edited:

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Look at my video at 3:10. Is this kinda what you see?

From what I understand there's simply too much data and the poe servers can't hang. It will freeze the client. This happens when you have a case especially with a lot of things going on -- in my case, it was a breach, and a vaal totem/mod where many monsters couldn't die. Then when they finally died they all died at about the same time so all that data needs to go through.

There was a write up GGG made here: Forum - Development Manifesto - Performance Improvements - Path of Exile

Similar but a longer term pause. A lot when syndicate pops in.

I’ll double check my trace first.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why the fuck am I playing melee????

Cause you like to press more than 2 buttons sometimes! To be honest though if you are still learning the game, a brand build may be good for you to do cause it gives you a lot of breathing space to learn mechanics.

PS Bunny fix your flasks cause it's seriously triggering the shit out of me
PPS Herald of Ice Automaton MTX is the clear superior MTX and I legit just slotted it into my discharge build so it looks prettier

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I've been busted all the way down to t9 maps now. Its gotten to the point that Im chiseling, alching and putting fragments in every shitty t9 map I get and nothing is dropping. My atlas bonus is 130 or so and isn't going up any time soon with this kind of luck. Combined with the fact that noting worth a shit drops in these low tiers and I'm wondering whats the point. Buy higher tier maps off trade just to run them? At some point I either need some drops or at least the maps to sustain themselves or I'll be pretty much done, currency is just going to be flowing out and I need it coming in, all my upgrades cost exalts.