Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I completely agree, but since I didn't know what was involved in doing some of the content like Lab, I went with that character to get me there.

Now I'm at the point where I realize it was super limited in what it could do, and I'm trying to move on rather than beat my head against the lack-of-dps wall.

EDIT: And thank you for even taking the time to look. I appreciate it.
So, have you decided what you want to play next?

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
when you guys say uber lab, you mean eternal lab right? or is there a higher difficulty in some map somewhere? I assume you'd only want a jug to rush through all the traps? I think i'm pretty fast though after a few runs trying to enchant my helmet, only need to make sure to not actively stay in contact with stuff for an extended time.. cause the end boss dies in 2 seconds even non gimped (get 2 keys)...

on a side note since i havent gotten a storm brand enchant yet. Did get a armageddon resist pierce one and a arc dmg one which i sold for 80 and 100 chaos respectively cause i saw they were popular on poe ninja :D

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So, have you decided what you want to play next?
Nope!

I'm intrigued by ziggyd's cold snap/vortex build, but a) I haven't seen an actual build guide for it (not sure how many videos I want to watch just to try to catch specifics), b) even though he claims it works well as a starter, I'm smart enough to realize even a "starter" build isn't really a starter in his hands, and c) I have zero idea what to look for in a non-melee build.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
when you guys say uber lab, you mean eternal lab right? or is there a higher difficulty in some map somewhere? I assume you'd only want a jug to rush through all the traps? I think i'm pretty fast though after a few runs trying to enchant my helmet, only need to make sure to not actively stay in contact with stuff for an extended time.. cause the end boss dies in 2 seconds even non gimped (get 2 keys)...

on a side note since i havent gotten a storm brand enchant yet. Did get a armageddon resist pierce one and a arc dmg one which i sold for 80 and 100 chaos respectively cause i saw they were popular on poe ninja :D
Uber lab requires u to find the map trials and use an offering to the goddess to get in.

Farming and getting an enchant yourself is some serious neckbearding. I bet the brand ones are a fortune compared to others.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Uber lab requires u to find the map trials and use an offering to the goddess to get in.

Farming and an enchant yourself is some serious neckbearding. I bet the brand ones are a fortune compared to others.

Yes i know about the offerings...I'm just asking because its so easy i'm wondering why anyone would make a lab specific build. Whats the point? It seemed like a weird thing to me which made me question if there was a harder lab somewhere.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
If you can quickly get all the treasure keys and clear it, enchant 2 base helms or so each time.... It can make a ton of currency in trading.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Mathil on his 3rd CoC build. Spectral throw (his favorite skill) Inq ele CoC. Should be ridiculous dps, though his self cast frostbolt/ice nova build was probably the most dps I've ever seen him have. Just completely ridiculous.

I'm hoping he does a wander Power Siphon CoC build eventually. That was my 2nd character and it lacks some survivability, but it absolutely shreds shit. Just completely monstrous dps. I haven't gotten my loreweave 6l yet, but once I can switch out Power Siphon for Barrage on the fly I'm pretty sure it will just delete bosses. I was pretty proud I didn't follow a guide or anything, just did it, and it fucking wrecks. My discharge Cyclone jugg on the other hand..... leaves something to be desired. Funnily I had an ilvl 80 6l 3w2b1g shaper exquisite blade before mathil did his build. Should've just dumped that base off for 10 ex instead of fucking around with it.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm a little confused, shouldn't using something besides Cyclone, Blade Flurry, Flicker Strike(or something else with high innate attack speed) leave you at a lower DPS ceiling for CoC? I guess Spectral Throw works because of the multiple hits near the apex? What other skills make good trigger skills?

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Nope!

I'm intrigued by ziggyd's cold snap/vortex build, but a) I haven't seen an actual build guide for it (not sure how many videos I want to watch just to try to catch specifics), b) even though he claims it works well as a starter, I'm smart enough to realize even a "starter" build isn't really a starter in his hands, and c) I have zero idea what to look for in a non-melee build.

Not the ZiggyD guide but this is the one I'm doing right now. Pretty enjoyable, my first time doing a CI build. Up to 89 with pretty much budget gear. There's a couple of variants on this type of build. You can opt out of the minion stuff to keep it simple build in more ES or elemental damage if you'd like.

Forum - Witch - [3.5] Occultist Vortex/Cold Snap ES/CI - Deathless and Safe Uber Elder and T16's - 1/1/19 - Path of Exile

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'd love a compendium that details how different abilities calculate crit. Some are known or obvious. Like Cyclone or anything supported by multistrike is only going to calculate crit once for the entire activation. This is what make Cyclone so maddening with CoC, you can get unlucky streaks and basically be standing in melee doing jack shit for leech. Also make it hard to develop muscle memory. Is this pack going to take one tap or two?

Spectral Throw seems to be the same way, which is disappointing. I was hoping it was similar to how Blade Flurry acts. As far as I can tell, Blade Flurry seems to calculate seems to calculate crit for each target hit. It's the only way I can figure out why it's so dependable(each pack only requires one tap to cast) yet its proc rate dwindles as targets do.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'm a little confused, shouldn't using something besides Cyclone, Blade Flurry, Flicker Strike(or something else with high innate attack speed) leave you at a lower DPS ceiling for CoC? I guess Spectral Throw works because of the multiple hits near the apex? What other skills make good trigger skills?

Each time it hits it can proc CoC. So it can proc multiple times on one target on the initial attack and on the return. Throw in Vaal Spec Throw and you've got non-stop weapons hitting a single target and proccing CoC 1-2 times each time.

For CoC triggers it's usually:

Cyclone
Barrage
Power Siphon
Spectral Throw
Frost Blades (Mathil said it was bad today, not sure why)
Split Arrow

Basically anything that gives you free multiple hits and saves a socket slot. Most of these have a lmp/gmp type built in. Power siphon for instance has like 7-8 proj by default. It's fucking insane for clear, but only 1 will hit a boss, so that's why I need a white socket barrage switch-out. Then it's 5-7 hits on a single target each proccing my 3 spells. I didn't calculate my theoretical DPS with my WandCoCer, but it's several, several millions. Inq with their inherent penetration + high crit rate = success!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Not the ZiggyD guide but this is the one I'm doing right now. Pretty enjoyable, my first time doing a CI build. Up to 89 with pretty much budget gear. There's a couple of variants on this type of build. You can opt out of the minion stuff to keep it simple build in more ES or elemental damage if you'd like.

Forum - Witch - [3.5] Occultist Vortex/Cold Snap ES/CI - Deathless and Safe Uber Elder and T16's - 1/1/19 - Path of Exile
I looked at that, and I think that is probably closest to what I want to do. Thanks for the link! I'll most likely tweak it a bit as mentioned, but it is good to have a basis to start from, since I know next to nothing about a build like this. Now to see what kind of crap I have laying around that can start me off.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Each time it hits it can proc CoC. So it can proc multiple times on one target on the initial attack and on the return. Throw in Vaal Spec Throw and you've got non-stop weapons hitting a single target and proccing CoC 1-2 times each time.

For CoC triggers it's usually:

Cyclone
Barrage
Power Siphon
Spectral Throw
Frost Blades (Mathil said it was bad today, not sure why)
Split Arrow

Basically anything that gives you free multiple hits and saves a socket slot. Most of these have a lmp/gmp type built in. Power siphon for instance has like 7-8 proj by default. It's fucking insane for clear, but only 1 will hit a boss, so that's why I need a white socket barrage switch-out. Then it's 5-7 hits on a single target each proccing my 3 spells. I didn't calculate my theoretical DPS with my WandCoCer, but it's several, several millions. Inq with their inherent penetration + high crit rate = success!
I imagine Frost Blades(and Split Arrow) are bad because their single target sucks. I would love crit to be calculated per target instead of per activation for most abilities. It just ruins the feel of CoC.

Blade Flurry and Ball Lightning looked promising but they're too incongruous. What could you pair with Blade Flurry that makes up for its close range? I tried Arc but surprisingly it doesn't work quite as well as one would think. The issue isn't Arc itself, it's that Blade Flurry can't spit out enough spells to clear the screen before its crit targets(that are in range) die.

I wonder if Barrage plus a couple of its threshold jewels would be good for clearing and single target? Why even use Power Siphon at that point? I'm pretty certain each projectile for Barrage is calculated separately for crit?

Xevy

Log Wizard
Power Siphon
A: has 8 spread projectiles for free
B: gives you power charges, so it's very easy to max crit chance
C: it gives you power charges on hit with rare/elites for single target power charge gen
D: has culling strike for funsies

Barrage is better for single target, but with a good build and CoC, pretty much the first spell to go off will kill your target. So for Power Siphon each enemy is getting hit and setting off your shit. Barrage will just do it for the single target, but if it dies you're not hitting anything with the other projectiles. Again why I said I'd use a white socket and switch in/out barrage for single target.

In terms of spells for CoC, Arc is great. It's great for screen reaching clear. The dps isn't the best for single target, but it's very nice quality of life. I use ball lightning and frostbolt as well right now, but I'm pretty sure neither is worth it. Ball lightning really shows up with slower proj which I don't have. Frostbolt was just for freezing shit. I used glacial cascade for a bit and it's really good damage, but it projects from your character, so it's much better for a cyclone type CoC user. Same can be said with bladefall and blade vortex. Freezing pulse wasn't bad either, but it procs from your character so its range isn't the best. Ice spear is good for long distance on big bosses, but its arm time is too slow to be good for clearing. Realistically arc/ball lightning should be able to do all the clearing you need.

The CoC per activation vs per target thing can be annoying, but this is where power siphon comes in. I have 5 power charges and something like 67% crit before diamond flask. So with it up I'm at effectively 99% chance to crit. I can make a clip of my wander tomorrow and post it. It's clear speed is up there with the poet's pen "teleports behind you" build. Just offscreen clears for days.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Finally beat red elder on 3rd try today now that I've switched to winter orb. Then I killed shaper twice (died once on 2nd run cause I lagged during a slam) and I've killed I think 7 guardians now with it and only died twice on a chimera that had extra life + reduced damage from crits (died to the adds cause with both of those mods and whatever else the map had I hit like a wet noodle). My conclusion from this is that I just suck at the elder fights.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Question, how do I get elder in teh middle here? Do I have to kill all four guardians and then shaper, or? I've never done this before.

1547541760596.png

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Question, how do I get elder in teh middle here? Do I have to kill all four guardians and then shaper, or? I've never done this before.

View attachment 189653
Yes, but make sure you do a guardian adjacent to the influence first. If you do the green one next it can't spread there and will mess it up.

Edit: Bottom right is already elder influenced, don't do that one again.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Ok, I'll admit I missed the intimidate on the belt, my bad. I haven't seen that belt used in a long time.

EE makes good builds, but that build really shouldn't be used outside of Lab farming. Some people enjoy lab farming, some people use it as a stepping stone to fund a more expensive build. Using that build to progress into red tier maps is a bad idea. Personally, I hate lab and the idea of farming it for currency would make me quit this game.

On good days lab is not really that annoying. I made 25ex off of 20 or so offerings the other day. The run was short with all shrines and Argus along the path. The next two days were total shit and not worth it but the one that’s up today is quick and I’ll run it again. Most days though, yeah, it’s too much of a pain in the ass to waste offerings on. Enchant rng can be infuriating, there are so many bad enchants but long run profit is there. Gotten a few juicy gems as well but for the most part the chests haven’t really paid out for me so I don’t even bother worrying about extra keys, they’re a couple chaos hand out.

It’s done for me pretty much exactly what you say though, I’ve got currency to fund other builds which playing maps and making (slow)delve progress wasn’t doing. That’s mostly my fault though for not buying maps and getting into t15 and guardians. For whatever reason I have some sort of ssf attitude about mapping.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Do manticore. If you see one spot of shaper appear near manti after you do it take that then do hydra. Finish with Phoenix and immediately after the 4 guardians and elder will spawn.