Path of Exile

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Anyone have a suggestion for a durable/tanky build that is engaging to play while also being super low budget?

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Kinda lost interest in any actual progress for the league, and gone back to starting up another army type necro, I'll just have fun mowing easy T1-3 maps and low risk delving until I'm bored. I got back to the point where intervention were casting lag curse + 1 shotting me again, and I didn't want to have to skip maps that lagged a few sec at the start to avoid syndicate. Hell, my gaming reflexes aren't what they used to be either, so when I get deeper into maps, no build or gear is going to save me unless I have godmode.

I gotta realize I'm gonna always be a mediocre PoE player, and never do stuff like Uber Elder, and other endgame stuff. I'm ok with that though, this game is far more interesting and challenging than Diablo 3 could ever be, even more interesting cause I'm not quite good enough to "beat the game"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
blade flurry is a channelled attack. you aim towards what you want to die and then click - hold for 1 sec, release, click - hold for 1 sec, release. In 95% of cases everything is dead before the first channel is even finished.

The defence of the build combined with crazy leech is so strong I couldn't die unless I got 1 shot. Leech got nerfed this league but the author of the build doesn't seem to think it matters.

Good build for delving too.. and extremely cheap as it doesn't require any 6 links (or even 5 links) or expensive items.

It's main issue apparently is that it caps out in power fairly quickly meaning it's difficult to do end game stuff like uber elder. I never got that far as I don't play enough. I was up to t10 maps and around 160 delve by the end of the league and it was all still trivial.

• 1Like

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I did Winter Orb last league and it was crazy strong. However, was not a fan of the stop-build stacks-move playstyle. BV is like that, no?

BV (blade vortex) is similar to winter orb, but the build he suggested is for blade flurry.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Kinda lost interest in any actual progress for the league, and gone back to starting up another army type necro, I'll just have fun mowing easy T1-3 maps and low risk delving until I'm bored. I got back to the point where intervention were casting lag curse + 1 shotting me again, and I didn't want to have to skip maps that lagged a few sec at the start to avoid syndicate. Hell, my gaming reflexes aren't what they used to be either, so when I get deeper into maps, no build or gear is going to save me unless I have godmode.

I gotta realize I'm gonna always be a mediocre PoE player, and never do stuff like Uber Elder, and other endgame stuff. I'm ok with that though, this game is far more interesting and challenging than Diablo 3 could ever be, even more interesting cause I'm not quite good enough to "beat the game"

The problem with poe is not so much that the bosses are hard. It's the fact that they gate the hard end game mobs behind this fuck off time sink (for most people). Once you can practice, or if you can sink enough time/currency to practice, they are not that hard.

If they weren't behind this time sink they would be just like act 10 kitava and everyone would be doing them. You don't have to be a good player, they are just artificially difficult.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Tried Spark last night. How was this skill ever meta? It's clear in open maps is bad. And even in indoor maps, it will somehow leave stragglers despite unleashing 4 casts(9 projectiles each) into a small room. Standing next to a door/wall/obstacle and cast slightly in its direction and the obstacle will each all your sparks. I suspect this is the same issue Freezing Pulse and Scourge Arrow players complain about.

So, cross that off my list of builds to try. Wanted to try new EK, it does good damage again, but just kinda boring honestly. Nobody plays self cast Ice Nova or Shock Nova for the same reason.

I still want to try Soulrend in some build, probably as a clear skill of sorts. But I'm worried about sustain. I play sloppy so I like builds that can rebound quickly.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It was only meta when you could abuse vaal spark with the freeze/soul jewel combo and spam vaal spark the whole map.

edit: and who could forget spork totems!

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
[

The problem with poe is not so much that the bosses are hard. It's the fact that they gate the hard end game mobs behind this fuck off time sink (for most people). Once you can practice, or if you can sink enough time/currency to practice, they are not that hard.

If they weren't behind this time sink they would be just like act 10 kitava and everyone would be doing them. You don't have to be a good player, they are just artificially difficult.

I’m a firmly mediocre skilled player and every boss dies after the requisite amount of reps. Shaper took me 17 portals. Hell, Minotaur took me a hot minute to figure out. Both are cakewalks now. The only thing keeping me from getting Uber elder down is the investment. Learning the rhythm of that fight will take a lot of attempts. I’ll have to waste who knows how many shaper sets that I could use to just kill shaper with and stick to faceroll red elder.

One thing I do that maybe a lot of people that continue to struggle don’t do is min/max my build to the best of my ability. Spent three hours last night trying to balance resists for wise oak. I spend a lot of time searching trade for the best shit I can afford. Corrupt(and fucking brick) gems. Get the right flasks and keep them rolling, one thing a LOT of players don’t do. All that sort of shit. That’s probably straight cancer to a lot of players and not technically necessary but does help the non skilled.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
[
I’m a firmly mediocre skilled player and every boss dies after the requisite amount of reps. Shaper took me 17 portals. Hell, Minotaur took me a hot minute to figure out. Both are cakewalks now. The only thing keeping me from getting Uber elder down is the investment. Learning the rhythm of that fight will take a lot of attempts. I’ll have to waste who knows how many shaper sets that I could use to just kill shaper with and stick to faceroll red elder.

One thing I do that maybe a lot of people that continue to struggle don’t do is min/max my build to the best of my ability. Spent three hours last night trying to balance resists for wise oak. I spend a lot of time searching trade for the best shit I can afford. Corrupt(and fucking brick) gems. Get the right flasks and keep them rolling, one thing a LOT of players don’t do. All that sort of shit. That’s probably straight cancer to a lot of players and not technically necessary but does help the non skilled.

I resemble this as well, and I've been around since Open Beta. I am pushing 50 so reflexes are out the door - which is why I bemoan the downfall of melee; I want to facetank and win lol - if I find the right gear for this MS Jugg I think it may be my last chance.

And, yeah, the min/max in this game makes such a huge difference. I simply cannot find it in me to do a regular pot rotation, and I KNOW how that hamstrings how far I will ever get in this game. And if you don't buy 20/23 or 21/20 gems it takes a LONG time to do them yourself, and when you 19/15 them, the pain is especially poignant.

BUT, and that is a giant but, like a I love Big Buts and I don't know why - PoE remains, bar none, the best ARPG out there for me. The progression, build options and loot (even with all the garbage) is the best in the business and makes it nigh on impossible to get "bored". I left Syndicate in January, and coming back after a couple of months mean I am enjoying the game so much I don't even care that this is without question the shittiest league mechanic they have released to date.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oops! I'll check it out.

Did toxic rain/hoag pathfinder in betrayal, wasn't really a fan.
I wouldn't be a fan of that build either. Toxic Rain doesn't immediately hit nearly as much as Rain of Arrows, so Virulence stacks are harder to maintain(your crawler can kill mobs before pods burst), LGoH is less reliable, applying curses is delayed, and you're missing Profane Bloom for that sweet pack clear. Also, Convocation's CD was halved this patch.

What didn't you like about it?

• 1Like

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Tried Spark last night. How was this skill ever meta? It's clear in open maps is bad. And even in indoor maps, it will somehow leave stragglers despite unleashing 4 casts(9 projectiles each) into a small room. Standing next to a door/wall/obstacle and cast slightly in its direction and the obstacle will each all your sparks. I suspect this is the same issue Freezing Pulse and Scourge Arrow players complain about.

So, cross that off my list of builds to try. Wanted to try new EK, it does good damage again, but just kinda boring honestly. Nobody plays self cast Ice Nova or Shock Nova for the same reason.

I still want to try Soulrend in some build, probably as a clear skill of sorts. But I'm worried about sustain. I play sloppy so I like builds that can rebound quickly.

Spark used to have no cooldown on how many times it could hit a target and it could travel as far as its duration would allow, so you could clear several screens away and murder shit by bouncing the sparks off walls.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Spark used to have no cooldown on how many times it could hit a target and it could travel as far as its duration would allow, so you could clear several screens away and murder shit by bouncing the sparks off walls.
Forgot about the distance limitation. That's pretty gay in today's PoE.

Caliane

also, just plain power creep. Didn't used to be a million skills or effects to causing aoe procs, shattering, etc. Spark aoe coverage vs... cleave.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wouldn't be a fan of that build either. Toxic Rain doesn't immediately hit nearly as much as Rain of Arrows, so Virulence stacks are harder to maintain(your crawler can kill mobs before pods burst), LGoH is less reliable, applying curses is delayed, and you're missing Profane Bloom for that sweet pack clear. Also, Convocation's CD was halved this patch.

What didn't you like about it?

The Rain of Arrows/HoAg build got a real nice buff with the new unique quiver. I have mine set to Rain of Arrows-Projectile Weakness-Curse on hit.

Basically turning my RoA into an 8 link skill once I can 6L my Quill Rain.

It fires anytime I use my main Rain of Arrows or my Blink Arrow. This leaves one more DPS gem open on the HoAg 6 link instead of using Pierce Support.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The Rain of Arrows/HoAg build got a real nice buff with the new unique quiver. I have mine set to Rain of Arrows-Projectile Weakness-Curse on hit.

Basically turning my RoA into an 8 link skill once I can 6L my Quill Rain.

It fires anytime I use my main Rain of Arrows or my Blink Arrow. This leaves one more DPS gem open on the HoAg 6 link instead of using Pierce Support.
Soul Strike goes in that slot if you're playing a CI version. What are you going to link to your main RoA if not projectile weakness, which was already standard?