Path of Exile

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I just started playing this on PS4 and holy jesus is there a lot for a new player. It's a little overwhelming.

Is there any reason to not play league as a new player?

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't keep any standard server characters, personally.

once the league ends your character and bank will get dumped to standard. so no, there's no reason to start standard. The league mechanic you can ignore if you don't like it (it's the memory fragment portals that you'll start running across in maps.)

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I guess I'm a special kid then lol.

League play makes sense on PC, because trading is relatively benign. As far as I can tell it's a complete PITA on the PS4.

When I was playing this game more regularly on the PC, I would restart with each league like a good soldier, power level, trade etc....then restart the treadmill.

On PS4, I just don't see this happening. Trading sucks. There is no POEtrader equivalent. It's not easy flipping chaos to exalted and visa versa, and it's really hard to get the right items for your build. So far it plays like a self-discovery style, and I don't see that changing.

I'm only level 50 at the moment, and I just don't see myself pushing until the league ends. When it drops to Standard, I'm just gonna keep playing the same toon.

If you are just getting into the game, or are planning on playing casually, then I would stick with Standard. That will give you a chance to level a character up to near max (lvl 90+), and you can learn the mechanics of the game, of which there are many. This game is not newb-friendly, especially this league. Synthesis is not intuitive at all, and it adds another layer on top of a zillion other layers you will have to learn your first time around. I think you will find more fun just getting to the Atlas and mapping. Me personally I have been avoiding this Carthis guy in every zone because he's just distracting.

The only thing you are missing out on League is shinies, like new ground effects and other window dressing. Not to mention to even get those, you need to be slightly hardcore and know what the hell you are doing.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
You have to unlock SSF first. When you start on PS4 your only choices are league or standard, HC or not.

Honestly, on PS4 this game plays like SSF in every mode. I'm not sure what difference playing SSF would bring. There is zero chat spam like there is on PC.

PoE on console is like the poor cousin version. The game is in every way better on PC. You would laugh if you knew how cumbersome it was to do something as simple as socketing gems or organizing your stash.

That being said, it's a great mindless distraction to play on your couch on a big screen.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Chalk me up as a guy who has played a couple different times and am still lost in this game. Last time i played was the league where you unlocked rooms in a temple. That was fun. All i know to do is pick a build from the forum that sounds fun and run with it and tbh i have no idea if its any good. Hell i didn't even know about trading until that temple league when someone showed me what poe.trade and path of building was. Crafting is beyond me, as is knowing what to cherrypick off the ground. Right now the only thing i pickup really is stuff that sells for a chroma or has 5-6 links or is named (copper color). I know i can sell flasks/gems with a combined quality of 40 to get that kind of currency.

Other than that all i do is atlas maps, and im figuring out delving but maintaining enough sulphite to make it fun sucks.

this is my current attempt though im barely geared. Incinerate clears rooms but i'm getting 1-shot alot. Thoughts on something better?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Chalk me up as a guy who has played a couple different times and am still lost in this game. Last time i played was the league where you unlocked rooms in a temple. That was fun. All i know to do is pick a build from the forum that sounds fun and run with it and tbh i have no idea if its any good. Hell i didn't even know about trading until that temple league when someone showed me what poe.trade and path of building was. Crafting is beyond me, as is knowing what to cherrypick off the ground. Right now the only thing i pickup really is stuff that sells for a chroma or has 5-6 links or is named (copper color). I know i can sell flasks/gems with a combined quality of 40 to get that kind of currency.

Other than that all i do is atlas maps, and im figuring out delving but maintaining enough sulphite to make it fun sucks.

this is my current attempt though im barely geared. Incinerate clears rooms but i'm getting 1-shot alot. Thoughts on something better?

Yeah it definitely takes a few leagues to figure out all the shit, not to mention all the expansion stuff they add along the way too. The biggest learning curve I had was with theitem drops, as in waht is good and what is not. thats what took me the longest to figure out.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
That's pretty much how I play PoE on the PS4... I just run around mindlessly spamming the same button over and over. It's relaxing after a stressful day at work to just slump back in the computer chair at home and kill thousands of monsters. I'm probably missing all of the things that make this game great, but it serves a purpose for me.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
That being said, it's a great mindless distraction to play on your couch on a big screen.

This is what I'm playing it for. Just pure relaxation at the end of the day. I am way more of a fan of these types of game with a controller on the couch.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Details on upcoming flashback event have been posted.

Forum - Announcements - Synthesis Flashback Event - Path of Exile

It's pretty well known how lethal this type of event can be to an on-going league, which is part of the reason they haven't had any since Incursion. No surprise, Delve and Betrayal were complex to forgo the need to have a secondary event. But at the same time, it's a bit disheartening in the sense that this is confirmation that the league is pretty much dead, thus there is very little collateral damage.

That aside, for people that haven't done these events before, I would HIGHLY encourage it. Some of the combinations can get pretty nutty. Some places count as their own "zone", like lab rooms, so you end up with a boss possessed by multiple ghosts. This seems to be a bit on the tamer side, I swear it used to be 5 ghosts in past events. So, this seems like on level of an 8-mod eldered map with 4+ sextants and double Beyond. Can you get triple Beyond now?

And if anyone needs one more challenge, Cadiro will be showing up complete that stupid challenge. Already got my 37, so I'm going to be practicing my league starter for next league. And by that, I mean having fun with Winter Orb before it's nerfed, because no fucking way it isn't.

Tried leveling up a Wild Strike character(what can I say, I love auto targeting and chaining skills are great at that). I really hope they do something with that skill. Maybe something similar to Elemental Hit's threshold jewels? I cannot stand the sound the fire part makes. The icy wave is mildly irritating too.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I'm a sad panda they are not putting reliquary keys into it. I'll probably mess about in it and see if i can level as I've never participated in one of these events.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's probably the most fun part of the event. These mods are in effect after twilight strand. So, you're going to be doing a lot of running initially. Don't start as melee.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Uh I guess it'll be pretty easy to finish the Cadiro challenge with this shit at least. I'll probably do 85 as usual, that takes a couple of days and then I can go back to doing other stuff until next league. 95 is a bit too long for my taste, and the armor sets look like shit anyway.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
This flashback league seems pretty meh to me. Especially with 3.7 in a little more than a month (probably Friday june 7) that i'd rather put my effort into.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Perfect timing for this Flashback - I am done with the league (not challenge done - only at 21, just yawn done), and just under 2 weeks to refresh on other games and then jump into the event will be great.

I am going to run with Storm Brand again. I liked worb but after doing BV for a couple of leagues even an OP/better BV was a bit of a turn-off. And I loved the fire-and-forget Storm Brand.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Might be time to try Divine Ire...I’ll admit I didn’t like winter orb play style.