Path of Exile

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I went straight from dock farming to maps in softcore on my groundslam marauder. Lvl 66 maps aren't any more difficult than the docks really. The only thing is you have a lot more yellow boss mobs and blue packs, so you just have to take it a bit slow to start and make sure you aren't running into a boss + blue packs(especially if the boss has a nasty aura for allies). The mobs weren't any worse really, they're just more concentrated with a LOT of blues mixed in.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Maps difficulty is a bit random(mob types inside the map) as well as depending on the mods you roll on the map obviously. Sometimes they're hard, sometimes not. Most of the early maps are fairly easy though if you have a solid build with decent hp pool and good/maxed resists. The higher ones however, when you're forced to roll them as rares with lots of mods and shit, those can be super dangerous. Shit like reduced max resists+multiprojectiles on fire alchemists or piety boss(who fires multiple lightning balls from multiproj) and stuff like that.

Docks is pretty easy overall, however there is one massively dangerous combo, a multiproj dog with a haste aura.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A couple of anecdotal things I noticed I created a game called full zone clears and the types of players that joined seemed to be higher quality then normal. Normal players aren't to bad but sometimes you get the X box experience.

Also I much prefer HP build over Ci builds atm
Any particular reason? I'm in no position to debate what's better and I don't even know if one is mathematically better. I just chose CI because it sounded like a cool idea, lol.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also is there really an advantage to soloing on maps? It seems like a huge waste of a map to me?

Dashivax

N00b
Also is there really an advantage to soloing on maps? It seems like a huge waste of a map to me?
Doesn't matter, there is not another option for you once you hit higher levels. You do maps for the better xp and loot, you aren't going to go back to farm docks later on, it is a waste of time.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Doesn't matter, there is not another option for you once you hit higher levels. You do maps for the better xp and loot, you aren't going to go back to farm docks later on, it is a waste of time.
Yeah I get that I'll be leaving docks at some point when I can sustain a map supply, but is there ever a reason to use a map by myself rather than organize a group for it?

Dashivax

N00b
Yeah I get that I'll be leaving docks at some point when I can sustain a map supply, but is there ever a reason to use a map by myself rather than organize a group for it?
My personal opinion is there is not enough of a difference between soloing a map and doing it with a full group for me to bother saving maps to use only with groups.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any particular reason? I'm in no position to debate what's better and I don't even know if one is mathematically better. I just chose CI because it sounded like a cool idea, lHigh ol.
Oh I am just to reckless for CI. On the few builds I tried I have double digit deaths using CI where I will usually have single digit deaths on my HP characters when I reach level 60 or so. High HP builds seem to be easier, CI needs high end ES gear and isn't effective til late in the game whereas HP builds are effective while you level.

CI may end up the better long term choice though..

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I get you. I have a certain affinity for builds that are weak early on but powerful later. Something to do with a sense of earning great power.

I picked CI because I liked the idea that I'm making my character to be nearly uncarnate or ethereal.

Not unless you have some RL friends playing with you, no, it's not worth doing maps in a group at least until the 70+ ones. It's not worth the hassle that a pug brings to this game, between the lag and the looting spree. It's especially bad in maps because you only have 6 portals to use, so if you have a 6 person party that means you only get your inventory to store items since all the portals are consumed upon entrance.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
For the latter I'm thinking about replacing my scroll wheel function from zoom in/out to left mouse click so I can just spam left-click by flipping my scroll wheel instead of pressing the button. I used to do this with jump in Halflife/CS/TFC to bunny hop.
this was a complete failure btw. No noticeable difference even when I'm 'clicking' at like 20hz

purGe

Molten Core Raider
So I finally got to docks in merciless and farmed it all night.

How much harder are high quality maps than merciless docks? I have to imagine it's much harder because even with my terrible gear I'm able to get through solo or do fine in a group.

I'm also finding that the challenge in grouping in docks is based on three things: staying alive, getting 5L or 6S white items before everyone else, and being the first one to click a desirable item that the 'owner' neglects to pick up. For the latter I'm thinking about replacing my scroll wheel function from zoom in/out to left mouse click so I can just spam left-click by flipping my scroll wheel instead of pressing the button. I used to do this with jump in Halflife/CS/TFC to bunny hop.
Clicking on the item name and holding down the mouse button works better than spam clicking.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
For those of you who play hardcore, what is the general consensus on using Chaos orbs(and higher) for making gear? Is it only really worth it once you are high enough level for maps? I've used a few while leveling and obviously ended up losing the character and gear. I don't know if I should really try to have good gear throughout to increase my survivability, or just refrain from using harly any consumables on gear since odds are I'm probably going to lose it. I never really worried about it in softcore, because I'd eventually use the item on another character once my current one outgrew it, but I'm finding in HC I'm more likely to lose the item before I retire it to my stash

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
For those of you that don't play softcore - if you have a char that dies with good gear, I can keep it warm for you!