Path of Exile

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I can't win today. Restarted client after the hotfix. Character rolled back to twilight strands laying down like start a new character rollback.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
5 hours for 2? You got lucky, 4 was average last patch.

Well I had 6 characters chain running them, but ya I'd say it was lucky. I was about to give up and take a break if nothing hit by hour six. Both dropped for each hc/sc about the same time at about 4 bubbles into L7. Got really lucky too with early move speed boots + shield on all chars so I could cycle with pretty much no downtime between characters.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The catching mechanic needs some work, if you had to time dps the mob down before it checks if it captures for let's say 5s, it'd feel better. Right now you can't throw it too early otherwise the mob just instantly breaks free.

But I like it, it's not +MOAR like abyss or breach, but those were getting boring anyway.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Absolutely worst league mechanic that I can remember. 5 minutes into the league it felt completely clunky and unfun. Pretty crazy it got released in this form. Everything about it sucks, the hidden cooldown on recaptures, random chance governing captures, net interface being garbage, the mobs enraging when your net fails, needing to beat the mobs low in life to work but the game being filled with secondary affects of skills that kill them (bleed, burn, culling strike, etc)

I get that they are adding entirely new mechanics every 3 months or so, but this is so unfun and clunky that it is obvious the first time you try it against a red. This is an utter fail in testing.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sure looks alright. Don't know about doing skeleton for necro since it's heavily reliant on a lot of specific gear while you can do a spectre or SRS build with no requirements and it'll work just fine too but they mostly use the same type of build anyway so you can just switch it up(I'm sure Ghazzy who they credit for this build has guides for all the variations, even if prepatch it's mostly the same only ascendencies changed a bit). Hiero totem and thick jug are your basic starting builds. There's most likely a good deadeye starting build for a bow character(most likely tornado shot or something like that) too.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sure looks alright. Don't know about doing skeleton for necro since it's heavily reliant on a lot of specific gear while you can do a spectre or SRS build with no requirements and it'll work just fine too but they mostly use the same type of build anyway so you can just switch it up(I'm sure Ghazzy who they credit for this build has guides for all the variations, even if prepatch it's mostly the same only ascendencies changed a bit). Hiero totem and thick jug are your basic starting builds. There's most likely a good deadeye starting build for a bow character(most likely tornado shot or something like that) too.
So because respec's can be costly, no matter which one I choose, it's basically my build for the rest of the Season? Or do people choose one thing, and then move on to another character, and it goes faster, because you have money and support gems for that new character? How does loot work? Can loot drop for any "class", or is it specific to the character you're playing? Also, is there an Auction House? One of the videos I was watching was talking about going to a website to check the value of rares and uniques? What for?

Thanks for the help with all the noob questions.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So because respec's can be costly, no matter which one I choose, it's basically my build for the rest of the Season? Or do people choose one thing, and then move on to another character, and it goes faster, because you have money and support gems for that new character? How does loot work? Can loot drop for any "class", or is it specific to the character you're playing? Also, is there an Auction House? One of the videos I was watching was talking about going to a website to check the value of rares and uniques? What for?

Thanks for the help with all the noob questions.
You can make other chars, you're not stuck with one thing for a full season, the leveling process is super fast and there's no bind on pickup gear or whatever, you can just transfer all the relevant gear and spend 30mins buying some random pieces to finish your gear. There's no class or character restriction, almost everything is tradeable or account wide, other than having to do the story to unlock maps but once you're used to it, it's a few hours to get to 70. No AH, there's only direct trading, there's a trading API and 3rd party websites use it to simulate AH functionality but you still have to send tells to people and meet them to trade.

People often make a starter build that has low gear reliance and can farm decently quick first, farm currency/drops, and once they have enough, they roll their main character, level them with generic builds super fast, and then start playing the actual build once they hit 60-80.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
So I love playing around with PoB, just trying to figure stuff out and how everything interacts is really satisfying for some reason. But I'm pretty much a noob at the game so take this with a grain of salt.

Here's the idea I had for a crit gladiator spectral shield throw build. The idea is to be tanky with block/spell block, good amount of physical reduction, and decent life. I could switch around some items to cap resists, probably should, but I was playing with it for so long I haven't gotten to that. Also I'm unsure about the points in the marauder section, if they're worth it, but I like the shield block stuff combined with spectral shield throw. I also have no idea how expensive this stuff is, lol.

Anyway, check it out and tear it apart:

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
So I love playing around with PoB, just trying to figure stuff out and how everything interacts is really satisfying for some reason. But I'm pretty much a noob at the game so take this with a grain of salt.

Here's the idea I had for a crit gladiator spectral shield throw build. The idea is to be tanky with block/spell block, good amount of physical reduction, and decent life. I could switch around some items to cap resists, probably should, but I was playing with it for so long I haven't gotten to that. Also I'm unsure about the points in the marauder section, if they're worth it, but I like the shield block stuff combined with spectral shield throw. I also have no idea how expensive this stuff is, lol.

One of us one of us

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

I haven't played seriously in a while so I might be wrong with some stuff. First while nice to plan ahead, it's good to have an idea of what your build should look like at 85/90 rather than 100, since most people won't go to 100 anyway.

You seem to have too many accuracy nodes and not enough life nodes. You're generally better off getting accuracy on gear than on nodes, although some of them are also decent with side stats. Life at 5k in your "final" build is extremely low for a lvl 100 char, even with block cap(which you're technicaly not unless you stack it by blocking first), aim for 6k+ instead I'd say. Too many uniques is probably the issue. You don't have a way to generate frenzy charges but take additional charges. While Outmatch and Outlasts can generate frenzy charges, as far as I know shield throw is only offhand damage, so it'd only generate endurance. I guess in theory you could say Whirling Blades with culling to get some but sounds clunky as shit. You might want to use Poacher's Mark as a result instead of Vuln, it'd fix 2 different problems, it reduces evasion(so acts as more accuracy) and gives frenzy charges, plus it gives life/mana on hit, which you don't have for sustain. You probably want that in a Blasphemy link so you don't actually have to cast the curse, empower 3 isn't realistic either it's expensive as shit. Talking about reserves, something like Heral of Ash would probably be solid too since shield throw does a lot of phys so you'd get a fair bit of additional damage, or Hatred instead if you can run it mana wise. Might also want considering pathing to leech nodes, if not you definitely want more leech on your gear.

The main concern really is I'm not sure how viable the crit path is for shield throw, at least with this ascendency/pathing. I think it might be worth just cutting most of the crit nodes and scaling proj damage instead and not relying on crits. You spend a lot of ressources, both on the tree and on gear, to attain a relatively "low" 40% crit chance which seems a bit of a waste. Large part of the problem is there's no good crit nodes for shield throw on the tree, since the good ones are weapon specific. It also has a low base crit chance, so you'd probably want some ES on your shield, but then you lose a lot of your base damage. It's also worth considering going the Bleeding way as Glad instead by dropping outmatch and outlast and violent retaliation.

Last edited:

Borzak

Pissed of the wrong sombebody I guess. Installed PoE on 2nd computer. Now when I try to zone I get a red box popup on screen saying "Can not join instane" and that's it.

Borzak

Yeah I emailed them and posted on their forums. Lots of bug reports tho. I did make it out of lioneye's watch tonight at least without it saying can't enter instance.

While there trying to exit I noticed I had a fire and ice mystery box. Someone said they came from a race. I don't think I took part in the last race, but whatever. Got a fire lion pet.

At the rate I'm going league will end before I reach lvl 30 lol.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

You have atziri flask but are using brutality so the flask does nothing. Easy enough to cap res if you just swap the romiras banquest for a different ring. Leaving all gear the same as it is currently on build, swap brutality to added fire damage and use hatred + herald of ash auras and it goes from 450k dps to 550k.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gotta admit, this league mechanic kind of sucks. I love the menagerie part of it, but the capture mechanic was really poorly thought out. Pretty sure they will patch it to where mobs will not be able to break out (or at least make it much less annoying then it is now) and remove hidden CD on nets. I'd be fine with those two changes.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, it's kinda boring ATM, I like the pokemon aspect to it, but I haven't bothered opening up beastcrafting since I started doing maps. On the other hand, with the fixes to endgame, it is infinitely more enjoyable and there aren't cracks you feel like you should follow everywhere. Even while leveling it was kinda questionable, since there's no fucking way I'm hunting down 3 extra rare/magic mobs when most of the veterans can run to Kitava with their eyes closed.

Among other news, Balefire is the single most broken item at the start of a league right after Tabula. It's 6L on a 1h weapon.