Path of Exile

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed Lacerate when I first played it and they fixed the only problem I had with it. I think Ill play it again.
It looks like they use BF in the 6L Tinkerskin for clearing and GC in pseudo-5L Shaper gloves plus a 4L Bear Trap (which is improved in 3.3) for single target.

I'm with you on the trap stuff though; all I've ever used traps for was a small boost to leveling speed or maybe fire trap as a main skill for a few levels until I unlocked what I really wanted to use. The biggest thing I'm still unclear on with traps is the charges / cooldowns changes; even after reading the patch notes a couple times I'm still unsure exactly how those three traps above will work now. Plus there's the new Seismic Trap, which may or may not be useless with its 8 sec cd.

ZiggyD put out a good video for leveling a Saboteur, but it didn't help me much with the base mechanics. If anyone else is interested:

A note I had on this video for speed levelings sake. At lvl 4 you get Contagion on a shadow and a +1 chaos gems wand is extremely easy to make (magic wand + blight gem). It will clear mobs for you faster than self casting freeze pulse will with the added bonus of spreading itself.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
welp wanted to go arc totem this league but fuck trying to gear that as a starter char, maybe for 2nd char if I can make enough to build it out. Think I may try a BV build for the first time. Just gotta decide inquisitor or elementalist. hrm

edit: fml watching mathil patch notes vid and he said he's likely going to be suggesting BV elementalist in his starter builds video DAMNIT

BV is easy to gear for, you don't need any special items that mathil can jack the price up on.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
BV is easy to gear for, you don't need any special items that mathil can jack the price up on.

If you're going physical BV and converting you'll want a Shaper stick and Shaper dagger to mix max. A ghetto 2 stat stick as a trickster adds 25% damage alone and those should be pretty cheap. I'm going no sleep on Friday probably just to grind a mirror out by Sunday morning for a real stat stick though personally.

Bladefall was meta for a while to own Uber Atziri, I didnt mind it at all but its a clunky playstyle if you're used to QoTF speeds or shield charging. It used to be insane damage with some chaos shenanigans which made up for the slow moving part.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I enjoyed Lacerate when I first played it and they fixed the only problem I had with it. I think Ill play it again.

A note I had on this video for speed levelings sake. At lvl 4 you get Contagion on a shadow and a +1 chaos gems wand is extremely easy to make (magic wand + blight gem). It will clear mobs for you faster than self casting freeze pulse will with the added bonus of spreading itself.

Haven't played Lacerate before, but found this guide by Demi and it sounded sweet as hell. Also watched him Uber Lab farm for a while and it was butter smooth, even if he was doing it with nearly perfect gear.

Forum - Duelist - [3.3] Demi's FlyingPurplePeople Lacerate, The ULTIMATE 2H RT Melee Slayer Guide - Path of Exile

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I mean, do what you think is fun, but I think you'll be disappointed in anything past yellow maps and especially before you have the weapons/gems.
I hate playing FOTP (Flavor of the Patch) builds and I like the gameplay of CA so going to give it a shot.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Loved my quad curse Bladefall character:

Used to be I'd only get wrecked by certain T15 bosses with it, but the less modifier for curses on bosses is too insane to overcome now. I think I might actually roll Bladefall Totems this league with a Templar.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How does one judge trapper dps in PoB? It's fine if you want to compare trap links, but comparing it to the total dps of a self-cast version or entirely different build doesn't seem easy. I guess the biggest thing is I have no idea how many traps I should assume are actively damaging my target.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Haven't played Lacerate before, but found this guide by Demi and it sounded sweet as hell. Also watched him Uber Lab farm for a while and it was butter smooth, even if he was doing it with nearly perfect gear.

Forum - Duelist - [3.3] Demi's FlyingPurplePeople Lacerate, The ULTIMATE 2H RT Melee Slayer Guide - Path of Exile

I was looking at that but after going melee last league I swore it of for a starter this league, even though with the stop/attack change it will be easier on the hand

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I hate playing FOTP (Flavor of the Patch) builds and I like the gameplay of CA so going to give it a shot.

I don't mind playing them but I hate gearing for fotp for obvious reasons, which is why I scrapped my arc plans for this league (although i'll prob level my BV with arc for fun).

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I'm thinking I'll do a summoner build this time. Never done one before. Any particular guides/ones you particular liked? Ideally I'd like to take this to Shaper, but not a requirement as I usually make 2 builds a league.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Guess I'll try Arc traps, haven't really played Arc or traps in a while. I did play Bladefall traps back when poison was a thing and I don't remember hating trap gameplay.

Could go summoner again but not sure how that will feel with all the buffs to other skills, guess that can still be plan B if traps fall through.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't mind playing them but I hate gearing for fotp for obvious reasons, which is why I scrapped my arc plans for this league (although i'll prob level my BV with arc for fun).
You have multiple exalts early on, shouldn't really be a problem.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I'm thinking I'll do a summoner build this time. Never done one before. Any particular guides/ones you particular liked? Ideally I'd like to take this to Shaper, but not a requirement as I usually make 2 builds a league.

Look for Solar Guard builds, it's pretty much the top tier summoner build and can be built several different ways.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How does one judge trapper dps in PoB? It's fine if you want to compare trap links, but comparing it to the total dps of a self-cast version or entirely different build doesn't seem easy. I guess the biggest thing is I have no idea how many traps I should assume are actively damaging my target.
I assume that's why they don't calculate DPS properly, because traps don't always hit?

Anyway, there was a reddit post about that and with the changes to the tree, you can kinda ignore chain reaction/the unique combo to reduce trap duration, and instead focus on trap activation radius. You can get 170% radius in the tree taking most of the common trap nodes and with a Hair Trigger jewel, that gives you 224% radius, which is enough to trigger at 18units, which supposedly is enough to trigger all your traps even on a single normal size enemy with cluster. Even just a fair amount will generally guarantee 2 traps will proc on a single enemy(like say an exile or whatever). Bosses are fat enough they'll trigger everything anyway.

Even if you get Saboteur's chain reaction, you'll want to get a fair bit of radius, since apparently the chain reaction itself is based off trap radius trigger and will only trigger other traps in the radius of the trap that was triggered. You kinda get trigger radius naturally from the trap nodes on the tree though.

The point of stacking the stat was mostly so you could do a Scion with saboteur+something(elem?) and end up with a potentially stronger damage build, while still triggering traps(so you get various bonuses from uniques that work on triggering, versus the other way that reduces duration which doesn't count as traps triggering).

With the proper setup though against bosses and such, you should trigger all traps every throw, so that should be what you look for as your total DPS. Sometimes a trap will miss, but it isn't much different how sometimes people will miss a skill(unless playing arc or whatever).