Path of Exile

Goonsquad Officer
I ran an ice staff build (that stupid ice staff item. the one that converts everything to ice damage). that's a 2 hander!

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I am actually thinking of doing a Cycloner to 100 this league which uses a 2h. Really its tough to choose at this point because they are going to swing the nerf bat huge since its an expansion and they will also buff other things. They will purposely shift the meta to something they have in mind.

We might see stat sticks nerfed, 2h buffed, and melee further buffed or who knows. They will release a very in depth developer manifesto in the coming 2 weeks.

I was thinking of trying PoE out on my PS4 in December, and 2H Cyclone was my first thought. I also thought BV might not be bad either since you just hit one button to wind up and then run around.

Also, AW totem is best with a 2her I believe, at least that is what I always do it with. But then your totems are hitting stuff in the dick while you run around like a dick.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
My character psixty could use ginvite

Trying out the frost blades Assassin build and really like it so far, even with shit tier claws

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Deadeye Toxic Rain + Herald of Agony was pretty popular as a starter this league. EDIT: Oh it was Pathfinder, whatever. Deadeye would work too I'm sure.
That looks fun. Crucify me but I had most fun in d3 sipping around as a DH. That’s the goal. But with more danger.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll probably be playing a little bit here and there between now and the league(plan to go fairly ham for that). League hype too real.

Also what's our discord?

Last edited:

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
If someone is running a PoE discord for FoH invite me also please. Thats a great place for information in my guild and id love to see even more PoE discussions.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Alright, so like a year ago I installed PoE, played for twenty minutes, didn't have any idea what I was doing, and quit. I'm reinstalling it right now.

What do I do?

I did similar. But I played for like 6 hours. Since I am reading here that once you reach these, "Maps" the game becomes more awesome. I'm going to push for that now. I made a whatever Duelist.

So... Diablo it up and do whatever you want until you get to the Maps portion. That's what I'm going with!

Goonsquad Officer
The maps are pretty fun. Once you get there it's pretty interesting tracking your progress through the atlas.

Hey speaking of maps. I briefly decided to trim my character list and began rooting through the "remove only" stashes (lol). I bought the map stash because: fuck sorting maps. I noticed there were four "version" of the stash. all of my maps seemed to be of atlas era. how does this work? will all dropping maps come league time ONLY be of the most recent era? are my atlas-era maps relics that are phased out as they're used?

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, a league will only drop one version of maps, but there's been several versions of maps throughout the years that are now obsolete. Original maps only went up to 78 and had crazy mods on them like +50% pack size -- you can still roll those, even though the pack size mods don't show up. Completing old versions of maps may or may not give you completion bonus on the Atlas, and any map drops out of those maps will be the latest map version.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I did similar. But I played for like 6 hours. Since I am reading here that once you reach these, "Maps" the game becomes more awesome. I'm going to push for that now. I made a whatever Duelist.

So... Diablo it up and do whatever you want until you get to the Maps portion. That's what I'm going with!

Maps are what rifts are in D3 just with much more customization and choice of what level, tileset, and monsters you want.

PoE has breakpoints just like D3 where you stop and farm before the end game in steps. In D3 you'll work to max level and then grind different things like the cube or items and sets you need and then ancients and then paragon etc.

Here's a short version of the PoE end game road map in a new league -

Level in acts 1-8 until you kill the end bosses of act 8 which are twins named Lunaris & Solaris. Once you kill them you zone into Blood Aqueducts. This is generally the first farming pause for most people. You farm this zone until 65-70 depending on what league, build, and your comfort level is.

Act 9-10 into Maps - You will keep going until Zana at the end of the story in act 10 and then get a quest to enter the laboratory and some maps to start with. You can from that point on just open a map device in your hideout permanently and then map straight from home. You can setup vendors, quest NPCs, bank, guild bank, crafting benches and etc in your housing area. Trading is done in hideouts as well, the seller generally hosts the buyer so youll see them teleport into your area to trade.

PoE end game once your mapping can be anything. There is what you can call group or solo raid type encounters which are gated behind keying or killing guardians for key pieces to access the bosses. There are way tougher than anything in Diablo so its ok to wipe and have to learn the encounters and it can be frustrating. There is also leveling to 100 which is probably the hardest thing to do in PoE because the levels scale. Leveling to 90 is about 1/5th of way to 100, level 98.5 is roughly now the 1/2 way point to 100. What that means is you have to run a lot of dangerous modded maps for maximum XP and your risk of dying shoots way up due to spending the majorty of your time in T16 maps with dangerous affixes.

Keep questions coming, dont let anyone be snobby because we all had to start from the bottom and ask a million questions to learn.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Lowball

Trakanon Raider
Alright, so like a year ago I installed PoE, played for twenty minutes, didn't have any idea what I was doing, and quit. I'm reinstalling it right now.

What do I do?
copy/pasting my response to a friend who asked me this -

Before getting into what to do, be aware that leagues are a BIG deal in this game, that we are currently at the end of one, and standard is terrible for new people. This does wierd things to how many players are around and prices and other things, and also means you'll probably be restarting your progress in a month. Having said that...

1. Look up someone else's build and follow that. How to pick from the 100s of builds you will see: First look for the terms "league starter", "budget", or anything else directly stating or implying cheap. Check the comments to make sure the first 5 people don't make fun of that person for having a retarded idea of what constitutes cheap. Next look at the primary skill being used and look that up to see if it seems interesting. Bonus for builds that include a leveling guide telling you which skills to take and when.

2. Just go with it. Seriously, just start playing. Don't try to understand too much, it will be like sucking on a fire hose. Just learn one/two new things every time you play, it'll be fine. For example a good thing might be to check out low level vendor recipes to see how that system works.

3. If you make it to part II ask again, we'll give you new homework.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Maps are what rifts are in D3 just with much more customization and choice of what level, tileset, and monsters you want.

PoE has breakpoints just like D3 where you stop and farm before the end game in steps. In D3 you'll work to max level and then grind different things like the cube or items and sets you need and then ancients and then paragon etc.

Here's a short version of the PoE end game road map in a new league -

Level in acts 1-8 until you kill the end bosses of act 8 which are twins named Lunaris & Solaris. Once you kill them you zone into Blood Aqueducts. This is generally the first farming pause for most people. You farm this zone until 65-70 depending on what league, build, and your comfort level is.

Act 9-10 into Maps - You will keep going until Zana at the end of the story in act 10 and then get a quest to enter the laboratory and some maps to start with. You can from that point on just open a map device in your hideout permanently and then map straight from home. You can setup vendors, quest NPCs, bank, guild bank, crafting benches and etc in your housing area. Trading is done in hideouts as well, the seller generally hosts the buyer so youll see them teleport into your area to trade.

PoE end game once your mapping can be anything. There is what you can call group or solo raid type encounters which are gated behind keying or killing guardians for key pieces to access the bosses. There are way tougher than anything in Diablo so its ok to wipe and have to learn the encounters and it can be frustrating. There is also leveling to 100 which is probably the hardest thing to do in PoE because the levels scale. Leveling to 90 is about 1/5th of way to 100, level 98.5 is roughly now the 1/2 way point to 100. What that means is you have to run a lot of dangerous modded maps for maximum XP and your risk of dying shoots way up due to spending the majorty of your time in T16 maps with dangerous affixes.

Keep questions coming, dont let anyone be snobby because we all had to start from the bottom and ask a million questions to learn.

What are Leagues exactly? Should I care right now?

When should I start caring about anything other than dicking around and trying stuff? Can I reroll my chracter to do no builds? Or do I have to level up from level 1 every League? Like, does being a Duelist hurt me? Should I be something else?

Goonsquad Officer
A league is like a separate server. when a new league comes out it has it's own modifications to the base game (usually new content). you make a guy on the league. everyone starts on the day it launches at level 1 with no gear, no access to gear on the standard league (server). There are special achievements you can unlock in the leave that yield unique stuff. Once the league is done, your character, their stash, your cheevos and all that are pushed to the standard league. and a new league will start after a time.

that's the fuss over "starter build" the question is: can your wacky build work from level 1 without the support of your bank-roll from the standard league.

A lot of players race when it comes out to be the first to reach a zone or kill a mob or get an item in the new league. it's kind of fun to do in the guild because as the players mow down content you'll see "free loot" appear in the box that no one used for their build. like if i do minion master, i'll drop melee gems into the guild stash. it kind of lends some value to playing non Flavor of the month builds. super rare items can be hard to find when a league starts.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
What are Leagues exactly? Should I care right now?

When should I start caring about anything other than dicking around and trying stuff? Can I reroll my chracter to do no builds? Or do I have to level up from level 1 every League? Like, does being a Duelist hurt me? Should I be something else?

League is just like Diablo 3 seasons in being temporary but they are thematic in PoE and are most times embedded into the core game once the league ends. They are usually pretty large in scope nowadays and this coming one integrates 2 of the previous ones into the core game. Its going to be good for even us nerds who play every league as they were 2 of the best of all time. Just like D3 there is cosmetic / pet rewards for the leagues achievements. There is also a big boy totem when you get all 40 out of 40 for your hideout which glows hugely with gold light and has a banner with the leagues logo.

Respecs in PoE are not like D3 in any way. Your base class is never changeable but everything else is. Your specialization class or what we call ascendancy is always changeable as well as your points on the tree. There is an orb that drops or that can be traded for en mass called an Orb of Regret. Its purposely not made easy but once youre seasoned some its very easy to respec an entire character. I for example re-roll every league 2x, I plan on something broken to level with or in meta that will take me to maps about level 75-80 on the first night. Then Ill spec into my main build. Generally at 99 I will sometimes respec again since its the 1/2 way point for me to 100 and it helps keep the leveling fresh.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
League is just like Diablo 3 seasons in being temporary but they are thematic in PoE and are most times embedded into the core game once the league ends. They are usually pretty large in scope nowadays and this coming one integrates 2 of the previous ones into the core game. Its going to be good for even us nerds who play every league as they were 2 of the best of all time. Just like D3 there is cosmetic / pet rewards for the leagues achievements. There is also a big boy totem when you get all 40 out of 40 for your hideout which glows hugely with gold light and has a banner with the leagues logo.

Respecs in PoE are not like D3 in any way. Your base class is never changeable but everything else is. Your specialization class or what we call ascendancy is always changeable as well as your points on the tree. There is an orb that drops or that can be traded for en mass called an Orb of Regret. Its purposely not made easy but once youre seasoned some its very easy to respec an entire character. I for example re-roll every league 2x, I plan on something broken to level with or in meta that will take me to maps about level 75-80 on the first night. Then Ill spec into my main build. Generally at 99 I will sometimes respec again since its the 1/2 way point for me to 100 and it helps keep the leveling fresh.

So should I just jump into this league? Seems to be the best way to get into the game and I can continue dicking around in the standard with my whatever? As it will roll my league bro into my standard?

What kind of build should I do for the league if this is the case? Just looking for something simple and effective. Doesn't need to be ridiculous for me right now.

Goonsquad Officer
everyone will be on the new league when it launches. i'd hop in day one when it goes live.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
So should I just jump into this league? Seems to be the best way to get into the game and I can continue dicking around in the standard with my whatever? As it will roll my league bro into my standard?

What kind of build should I do for the league if this is the case? Just looking for something simple and effective. Doesn't need to be ridiculous for me right now.

You can do almost anything in this game from an MMO or Diablo, you need to first think do i want to be a melee tank? assassin type of dps? ranger who runs at 200% movement speed? caster? Pet build? Summoner? Golemancer? DoT poison build? Turrets? From that point we can whittle it down to a suggestion.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You can do almost anything in this game from an MMO or Diablo, you need to first think do i want to be a melee tank? assassin type of dps? ranger who runs at 200% movement speed? caster? Pet build? Summoner? Golemancer? DoT poison build? Turrets? From that point we can whittle it down to a suggestion.

Let's go with Golemancer. Summoning cool golems right? That or melee tank.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Yeah, jump in this league and start dicking around to get ready for the next league. The biggest factor to figure out which class you want to play is which of that classes three ascendancies you want.