Path of Exile

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I've been interrogating every time, figuring ranking them down would make shit easier until I'm actually interested in doing this stuff. I'm not sure if that's actually a good idea, but I don't know what else to do. Lucked out and stripped intervention of items, fingers crossed any of this makes a difference.

Edit: Any space in the guild yet? I generally do my own thing, don't need items or people to do runs, or anything like that. In fact I'd rather dump stuff of value in a guild bank when I'm done league in a couple weeks, than let it rot in my stash. I'll try and keep the noob to a minimum lol.

Is there another discord for FoH going? I don't see much activity on the one connected to boards.

Last edited:

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been interrogating every time, figuring ranking them down would make shit easier until I'm actually interested in doing this stuff. I'm not sure if that's actually a good idea, but I don't know what else to do. Lucked out and stripped intervention of items, fingers crossed any of this makes a difference.

I mean you really don't have an option. Before you could just skip a bad option and get a new encounter next map. But unless your skipping on the third encounter of the map you're really fucking yourself over for like 8 iteration or more. I can forgive the nexus shit. Like people have said its free xp and I've just forgone trying to hook up memory nodes and just connecting them like normal. Whatever, not great but it at least works like that. The betrayal shit is just god awful in this implementation and just takes away from Zana/Alva/Niko spawns (even though they supposedly upped the spawn rate I feel like I've been getting less of all the 3 good ones).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I decided to roll a 2nd char with a few helpful uniques (ranger with thief's torment, tabula etc). Started going for a Windripper farm build but I think I'm going to end it up as a Kinetic Blast wander, eventually going for MF stuff. Am I dumb?
I have no idea on your build or gear, but I have a 5 link Deaths Harp you can have if it's of use to you, just upgraded to my 6 link last night.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I have no idea on your build or gear, but I have a 5 link Deaths Harp you can have if it's of use to you, just upgraded to my 6 link last night.

Appreciate it but I'm close to swapping over from bow/rain of arrows to wand/kinetic blast. Thanks though!

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So it looks like the cool thing to do with Vortex is to use on hit trigger in weapon for (in this order if that matters) Frost Bomb, Orb of Storms, Storm Brand. Then you spec into EE. I always get confused by EE. Would it proc on my cold hit from vortex before it is hit by the lightning damage from the trigger effect? Or would vortex hit, then the lightning damage thus debuffing them for the degen of vortex? And if that's the case wouldn't the frost bomb eventually explode completely reverting all that shit? I'm so confused on how EE works.

Caliane

That sounds like a giant pita, and slow as shit.

EE applies for one hit. Alternating elemental hits, will cycle through it. So its very ideal for like Elemental hit, as long as you don't have +x elemental to spells/attacks.
Hitting for 2 or 3 elements at once, just gives the +25% resists to each element hit by, and does not stack the -50%.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How is it slow? I guess you don't have to worry about the after effect of frost bomb cause storm brand and orb are always going to be proccin. I was just wondering how it cycled or if it even did. Thanks for clearing that up.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You probably don't need both Orb of Storm and Storm Brand. But yeah it'll reapply on each hit. That said if you're running Herald of Ice remember it adds cold damage to everything you do, which means every lightning hit will also hit for cold, thus making it apply +25% to both resists and fucking your vortex. Less likely but also relevant if you use a weapon or jewel with +cold damage to spells. That's why EE tends to be kept for trap/mine/minion builds, it's easy to fuck yourself over with basic things if you're trying to dual elem.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea I don't have any +damage to spells, I just thought it'd be nice source of free elem pen now that pen is harder to get on weapons. I mean it's not like you totally need the damage for maps, but it would make bossing so much easier. Not that bossing is hard with vortex, in fact its pants on head easy. Probably the easiest bossing build I've playing and I played an indigon PP build in incursion.

I think the Orb of Storms is in there to get EO to proc more reliably on bosses. Since I build almost no crit I'm going off the base 5/5.5% from those two spells and Orb gets activated (I believe?) with storm brand procs.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I don't have any +damage to spells, I just thought it'd be nice source of free elem pen now that pen is harder to get on weapons. I mean it's not like you totally need the damage for maps, but it would make bossing so much easier. Not that bossing is hard with vortex, in fact its pants on head easy. Probably the easiest bossing build I've playing and I played an indigon PP build in incursion.

I think the Orb of Storms is in there to get EO to proc more reliably on bosses. Since I build almost no crit I'm going off the base 5/5.5% from those two spells and Orb gets activated (I believe?) with storm brand procs.

Just buy a malchais and put storm brand in it for the EZ mode elemental overload for bosses.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
The vortex build is using both lightning spells to override the brief proc frost bomb causes. Dots dont proc because they dont hit.

saracs

Trakanon Raider
The vortex build is using both lightning spells to override the brief proc frost bomb causes. Dots dont proc because they dont hit.

Storm brand and orb of storms hit very fast. Storm brand chains too. This gives both tons of opportunity to crit assuring that EO stays up near 100% even on single target. Vanderhoof said they also over write the cold EE from frost bomb. Since frostbomb hits once, it gets over written almost instantly by the other two. The cold debuff from frostbomb persists a long time, further increasing single target dps. For general mapping you really don't need any of this. Vortex initial hit kills most things outright. With cold snap on rares this is a cheap trivial kill with cheap gear.

Last season I killed Uber elder fir the first time ever with around 7k ES and a tabula chest.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Chain will not help with critting to activate EO as crits are rolled per cast/attack/activation/whatever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

saracs

Trakanon Raider
Chain will not help with critting to activate EO as crits are rolled per cast/attack/activation/whatever.

Didn't realize the chains didn't crit, but they still should make sure to spread EE. Either way, never really noticed EO being off, so I guess the fast hit nature is making sure that EO stays up.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Didn't realize the chains didn't crit, but they still should make sure to spread EE. Either way, never really noticed EO being off, so I guess the fast hit nature is making sure that EO stays up.
That's not what I meant. The chained targets will be crit only if the skill rolled a crit. Basically, every target will be crit or none of them will. And when you get multiple crits from one cast/attack/whatever, things that trigger off crit will count that as only one crit.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why they dont have a counter to tell you're 36/40 on your placed maps beats me..But this atleast i can handle by counting them
Whats worse is it would be way, way, way too much effort to count the number of mods you have running so i dont do that, made me cut short a memory mod run cause i noticed i only got the 1 island memory mod on a handful of my placed maps so i can tell i'm capped.

My strategy which i've started to implement is if i want to incubate a map do it on one of the yellow squares and then run down all/most of the others.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Man I'm getting bad about rolling different builds to try. Gotta accept that I'm not going to find something not-fotm that has the ease of doing everything like my FP totems guy does (with no budget required to boot).

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Just caught up on the last few pages, and it seems my general malaise about this league (only my second!) is pretty common.

I've stopped caring about Nexus shit and just run the memories for xp/loot. I also noticed that if you have 10 un-placed pieces, when you do another one it replaces one you had (probably the last one, as it seems to always be the bottom right, but I never check to see what I had either). But fuck it, I don't care, half the time I set up a line of shit to do, and if I manage to get to the loot/mod one that was my goal, several times I've had it fucking decay so fast that I couldn't even path to the reward, and I literally just wasted that entire run for no reward. Fuck that. I get having the memories decay, but make it like the fucking Temple where once you set them up on your map, you have all the time in the world to run them. Having the reward node decay randomly super fast is just gay as fuck and makes you want to smash your monitor. Or me at least.

Also, I've been trying a couple builds, and I just don't like playing them. First was brands, and I get how OP they are, but it is pretty boring and just isn't my thing. Second is Herald of Agony, which I liked well enough at first (when my dps sort of mattered a little), but I'm already at the point where I literally just keep shooting Rain of Arrows until the crawler kills everything. My damage is practically irrelevant. And if there is a boss where I have to run around a lot...how the fuck am I supposed to cast RoA a lot to power up the crawler?? He poofs half the time because I only got a couple stacks on him, so now while I run around there is zero dps on the boss...which makes me run around more. I can't stop and unload a bunch of rains to let him stay up a decent amount of time, and it just pisses me off.

So, I think I'm going to go and play my favorite from last league, which is Vortex/Cold Snap/CI Occultist. Which also means I'm just playing the same thing again, except with a shitty new league mechanic that I don't even want to use the proper way. At least I'll be able to respec the HoA character easily enough, and I'm early enough in the league that I might actually get to endgame, which is a decent enough goal I suppose.

Mainly just ranting, but I really, really hate how you can't try out some builds very easily without a moderate investment. Yeah, I know a lot of you guys could get to where I'm at in a day, but it is still a chore for me, and I just hate how some builds you literally can't even try until mid-30s, and even then you don't really know how it will play at higher level. To someone like me, that's a non-trivial investment. Unless I go make a shitload of builds in Standard and try them out between leagues, but fuck me if that sounds even less fun.

Sorry, just not really loving this league at all, when I was really excited at first (Carcassone is a great board game btw). Off to respec my character!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users