Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
How’s self cast exsang lookin? I missed last league, I know mines is better but i really prefer self cast play style. I’m kinda outta the loop but I heard unleash is no good anymore. And also I see a lot of these builds started going high armor is there a reason for that? And seems like fortify supports are gone for casters too?
Also - I missed 3.16 so I’m really outta the loop

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've got a crafting question. If you have 2 prefixes on an item and craft a "Prefixes cannot be changed" and then add a 3rd prefix and get one you did not want, can you scour it off while keeping the first 2 due to the cannot be changed, or does the 3rd prefix get hard stuck on it? I've heard that question answered both ways in other places, so thought I'd ask here.

Xevy

Log Wizard
The 3rd prefix will get hard stuck on. Your best bet is to craft prefixes cannot be changed then using a harvest to target the roll you want. This will (possibly) add a 3rd prefix and remove the craft mod so if it doesn't work you'd have to do the craft mod again.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How’s self cast exsang lookin? I missed last league, I know mines is better but i really prefer self cast play style. I’m kinda outta the loop but I heard unleash is no good anymore. And also I see a lot of these builds started going high armor is there a reason for that? And seems like fortify supports are gone for casters too?
Also - I missed 3.16 so I’m really outta the loop
Traps are likely still better than mines unless they absolutely fucked Seismic Trap. I'm very vocal about mines because I hate the arming time on traps. If that doesn't bother you, traps are better.

Death of Unleash is likely oversold. My guess is it's not as ubiquitous. For example, if you're doing BB/BF, it still makes sense.

Armor OP, they buffed defenses in 3.16. Almost every build should run Determination, Defiance Banner, and Vaal Molten Shell. Most builds are dropping 50% offensive auras to run Grace too. And then getting spell suppression on gear.

Fortify is gone for casters. You get stacks of 1% hit DR based on melee damage done, similar to ailment threshold, up to 20%. It fucked over a lot of truly melee builds that don't do much hit damage. But it did accomplish their task of preventing those dirty casters from using it. Now they'll just shield charge to apply marks instead!

Apostolos Apostolos I *THINK*, as a guy that hates PoE's "crafting", the 3rd affix cannot be selectively removed unless it's benchcrafted on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Apostolos

The 3rd prefix will get hard stuck on. Your best bet is to craft prefixes cannot be changed then using a harvest to target the roll you want. This will (possibly) add a 3rd prefix and remove the craft mod so if it doesn't work you'd have to do the craft mod again.
OK, guess I'm going to need more help and don't want to clutter up this thread with questions. If anyone knows a thing or two and would be willing to answer some questions in private messages, I would appreciate it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
OK, guess I'm going to need more help and don't want to clutter up this thread with questions. If anyone knows a thing or two and would be willing to answer some questions in private messages, I would appreciate it.

Go to Emulator and you can basically practice on the item. Hit it with affixes, currency, crafts, etc and see percentage chances. It'll help you understand how meta crafting works without costing you multiple exalts.

Apostolos

First part was trying to figure out the cheapest way to add +1 to Level of all Lightning Spell Skill Gems to a fractured wand. I think fossil crafting may be the best (metallic + aetheric), but wasn't sure as that can get kinda expensive if you get unlucky 50+ times in a row. After that, I was trying to figure out why fossils would not work on a fractured item, but looks like you have to upgrade it to a rare first before even starting on the fossils. (that took me forever to figure out)

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If you've got a fractured base already and are looking to just get +1 lightning gems on it I think just spamming metallic fossils is probably the most cost efficient given how cheap they are basic resonators are. The fastest way to get it I would guess is probably faceted + scorched + frigid? That eliminates all fire/cold rolls and weights more gem rolls.

A fractured base with just the fractured mod on it is a magic item, so you can use the grey resonators on it if you have spares of them and just scour it back to the single fractured mod between each fossil attempt.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Plan will be to go elementalist arc witch, did a full campaign play through and arc is so good, hardest part is just getting to merveil with all the shit choices before you get the arc gem.

• Arc: Now deals 6 to 32 Lightning Damage at gem level 1 (previously 6 to 33), up to 198 to 1122 at gem level 20 (previously 133 to 754). Now has 120% Effectiveness of Added Damage at all gem levels (previously 80%).
Good buffs to it this league will make it buttery smooth, it cleared and did respectable single target damage already but now it should be at least A tier. Determinaton + defiance banner + molten shell as noted is very good defense with armor/ES bases for gear.

Will use Enkis build until I can get gear then will roll arc assassin for dual void battery power charge goodness.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you've got a fractured base already and are looking to just get +1 lightning gems on it I think just spamming metallic fossils is probably the most cost efficient given how cheap they are basic resonators are. The fastest way to get it I would guess is probably faceted + scorched + frigid? That eliminates all fire/cold rolls and weights more gem rolls.

A fractured base with just the fractured mod on it is a magic item, so you can use the grey resonators on it if you have spares of them and just scour it back to the single fractured mod between each fossil attempt.
They removed the grey resonators

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So is the gigabrain strategy to do the opposite of grimro’s tree since every Tom dick and Harry is gonna do that and flood the market

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I think I have to go giga hipster this league and roll with chieftan ethereal knives.

See you all in act1 on the day 3 reroll.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think I have to go giga hipster this league and roll with chieftan ethereal knives.

See you all in act1 on the day 3 reroll.
I'll PROBABLY level my Chieftain with EK, but there's some issues. Good clear, bad single target (one proj per target). So you need like Fireball or Firestorm or SRS or something weird. The thing to keep in mind is that most of the spell buffs only start to apply at HIGHER gem level, so you won't see very much if any buffs to lower level spell gems. Just the added effectiveness of damage.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Plan will be to go elementalist arc witch, did a full campaign play through and arc is so good, hardest part is just getting to merveil with all the shit choices before you get the arc gem.

• Arc: Now deals 6 to 32 Lightning Damage at gem level 1 (previously 6 to 33), up to 198 to 1122 at gem level 20 (previously 133 to 754). Now has 120% Effectiveness of Added Damage at all gem levels (previously 80%).
Good buffs to it this league will make it buttery smooth, it cleared and did respectable single target damage already but now it should be at least A tier. Determinaton + defiance banner + molten shell as noted is very good defense with armor/ES bases for gear.

Will use Enkis build until I can get gear then will roll arc assassin for dual void battery power charge goodness.
Stormblast mines + Orb of Storms
Rolling Magma + Combustion + Ele prolif
Either of those should work until arc is available.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'll PROBABLY level my Chieftain with EK, but there's some issues. Good clear, bad single target (one proj per target). So you need like Fireball or Firestorm or SRS or something weird. The thing to keep in mind is that most of the spell buffs only start to apply at HIGHER gem level, so you won't see very much if any buffs to lower level spell gems. Just the added effectiveness of damage.

Yea I think pinpoint and hefty use of double damage while focused is the only hope there is for EK getting actual damage for single target.

Focus does have the added benefit of psuedo-automating my tornado and other utility spells once I can find that stupid helm veil enchant.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Atlas passive tree is pretty straight forward, there's a lot of no brainer nodes but the difficulty for me is choosing what end game content to pursue. I think you'll have to respec as you progress, having to choose between maven and shaper/elder/conqueror for instance will leave you without points in the exarch/eater nodes.

With maven dropping awakened gems it's hard not to do her.

The ritual nodes are way the fuck out there which is disappointing and only one cluster for scarabs at the very top. Bleh as if poe needed more passive trees!?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, do you just do Maven witnessing stuff as you please since it's not required to unlock (most)passives anymore?

If so, I'd plan your endgame tree around always having conqueror, shaper/elder, and synthesis nodes allocated. Then just respec in and out of one of maven/exarch/eater. With nearly full passives, you should have enough points for fully investing in two leagues of content, assuming they're close by, as well as picking up sextants, scarabs, and the 3% delirium map node. I plan on doing blight and beyond.

Starting tree is going to be essence, strong boxes, rogue exiles, torment, map drops, and shrines. Standard shit that adds juice without slowing you down and drops good gear for pseudo ssf.

Last edited: