Path of Exile

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well I'm doing some practice runs and holy shit does ice shot suck in act 1. It's like less damage than frost blades with none of the clear lol
For level 1-12 i'd say caustic or galvanic arrow are both pretty good, especially with ballista totems on top.

I've been thinking of the new manaforged arrow support, especially with ice shot late game. Dying to find out if you can do some cast on crit tornado shenanigans with it to keep respawning tornado as you're spamming ice shot (like asenath's mark) for double damage if positioned right (Ice shot hits tornado -> creates cone -> cone and arrow hit boss).
The nice thing is that the reflect damage on tornado can't be scaled with supports (would be double dipping if you could) so even if manaforged arrows have a -dmg mod it won't affect it.

And vengeant cascade ofcourse for hopefully another 100% more for any type of regular projectile.

They did more FAQ's after the original:

Not the PERFECT solution, but definitely A solution... for now. Think the sanctum/scourge slot idea is probably solid enough they implement it later.

Here's the rest:

Seems good to me, the key part of their solution is the "identified" part. Would be pretty stupid to keep more id'd weapons in your inventory than the one you wanna juice.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This is usually what I call a "League Starter" for my PoBs:
  • Level 90
  • 4L
  • All Labs
  • No crafts that would cost chaos
  • No anoints that cost opalescent or above
  • No uniques
  • 3 T3 affix rares
  • 2 T3 affix weapon/shield slots
Basically, I try to make my league starter SSF friendly because I want to focus progressing my atlas and not rely on trade at all. I can make a Chaos Hexblast(Hit and poison) Miner that hits 750k dps and 6k ehp with the above requirements. I'm having trouble coming anywhere close on a Ice Shot starter. Just a bad idea to league start with attack based builds? I'll admit, I don't have a good feel for what's a good SSF attack weapon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Found an amazing write up by Subtractem on a fire trap build that looks amazing, so going to try something different this league since I skipped last one. Looks like there will be some crazy powerful builds incoming. (apparently SSF hardcore viable if you are into that)

Xevy

Log Wizard
The bazillion starter build videos are showing up now that PoB is updated (for the most part). I love how the definition of "tanky" is ambiguous, but in almost every build description. From Hardcore tanky meant you could play, but in SC I don't even know what it means. In my mind it means you can take some shit like a shaper ball or two and not die, but achieving that is easier that it's ever been probably. I think a lot of people think Tanky means they can face fuck an Uber slam or something which is just an insane thing to want. I think 90% of these peoples builds need to not die in 95/100 red maps they run and tank a big hit from normal Pinnacle bosses, but everyone has it in their head they're going to do Ubers or some shit which are, for the most part, a huge fucking waste of time.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The bazillion starter build videos are showing up now that PoB is updated (for the most part). I love how the definition of "tanky" is ambiguous, but in almost every build description. From Hardcore tanky meant you could play, but in SC I don't even know what it means. In my mind it means you can take some shit like a shaper ball or two and not die, but achieving that is easier that it's ever been probably. I think a lot of people think Tanky means they can face fuck an Uber slam or something which is just an insane thing to want. I think 90% of these peoples builds need to not die in 95/100 red maps they run and tank a big hit from normal Pinnacle bosses, but everyone has it in their head they're going to do Ubers or some shit which are, for the most part, a huge fucking waste of time.

Eh, even after the AN nerfs the Arch Nem mobs are still more dangerous than even most Pinnacle Boss abilities.

Defensive layers in PoE are stupid.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Molten shell nerf is big too, something like 60-70% of builds were running it. Shield passive trees could make up for all the tankiness lost though, depending what sort of ridiculous stuff it can roll.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Adrenaline stance mastery is gone

"Yes. The stats for that Mastery are now:

• Remove Damaging Ailments when you Change Stance
  • Stance Skills have +6 seconds to Cooldown"

Xevy

Log Wizard
Reddit gets what Reddit deserves.

Probably should've just made cooldown +6 seconds and left it in, but whatever. I wasn't going to do that shit anyways. It's really great how the players that cry about power nerfs then FOMO rage about shit and remove huge power gains for others. God damn America of em, bless their hearts.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Good riddance, that node was so powerful and encouraged such a cancerous gameplay loop

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Adrenaline stance mastery is gone

"Yes. The stats for that Mastery are now:

• Remove Damaging Ailments when you Change Stance
  • Stance Skills have +6 seconds to Cooldown"
That seems worthless? Can get that same effect on flasks or... complete immunity in gear/other talents.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's lots of useless masteries. They even got rid of some very useful masteries, like the two lightning masteries for +1 chain or lucky non-crit, and replaced them with garbage or ok masteries.

The issue here is that they released a mastery without 5 minutes of thought. It looks bad when the playerbase overwhelmingly points out your mistakes. It happens sometimes, oh well.

• 1WTF

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I did NOT approve this, WTF.
You can get lucky non-crit on an amulet now.
  • The Voice of the Storm Unique Amulet no longer Triggers Level 12 Lightning Bolt when you deal a Critical Strike, or has "Critical Strike Chance is increased by Overcapped Lightning Resistance". Instead, it now has 50% increased Lightning Damage and "Lightning Damage with Non-Critical Strikes is Lucky".
Cannibalizing a mastery that any lightning build would have access in favor of competing with your amulet slot seems like a poor design choice. It was definitely too strong as a mastery, but it's not like any non-crit hit build is out of control dps-wise.

AFAIK, the +1 non-proj chain is gone.

• 1Rustled

Xevy

Log Wizard
The lucky lightning one obviously they wanted to make the Breach necklace valued, which is probably isn't to the extent they're hoping, kind of like how The Pandemonius and Xoph's Heart are both really, really good necks but the lightning one was incredibly lacking.

The removal of the -1 proj seemed like a nerf, but they added two proj (one normal, one bow) to the tree so I'm guessing that's why they removed it. Still in a spot down by Raider that most Elementalists aren't even dreaming of touching on an attack tree. Wanders for sure will probably head for it or Thread of Hope it, but casters with Arc, not likely unless they're down there for the life nodes and power/frenzy charges.

The real weird one is the chaos resist clusters. It was a lot of chaos resist, like 46% before mastery or something, but seems weird. Especially now that phys as extra chaos is a map mod.

It is funny they did 0 to minion masteries. Minion Attack masteries are incredibly underwhelming whereas Minion Defense masteries have some amazing QoL stuff. Maybe they know what they're doing considering every minion build takes about 4-5 entire Minion Attack wheels. They said they've "noted" the complaints so maybe next pass, but outside of DPS Spectres I think minions are still in a really good place. SRS poison is a top build, regular SRS can reach 5-10m dps with little investment, skeletons come in a variety of flavor with poison, regular, dark pact, and mages. Zombies are still pretty fucking good even though they're not at their legacy The Baron numbers. Golems are strong if not the T18 100% delirium Carrior golem carry builds they were, they're still close to that with heavy investment. And Absolution is a low-key absolute monster and now that there's Vaal Absolution you've got help clearing some of the more dense areas. I'm planning to Rathpith Necromantic Aegis Absolution, again, this league to see what I can do with it. I got it to a comfortable 20m+ Shaper dps, but skelly mages just cleared maps and had so much more QOL for me as well as getting to something like 40m+.

Honestly the people who should be mad are slammers. They didn't get shit one way or another. This league mechanic seems very reminiscent of Ultimatum where I played a Seismic Slammer and it was great. Run around, shout, hit twice, shout, then blow up the entire Ultimatum bubble. It was pretty cool combo mechanics, but they've lost like 30-50% of their DPS from Warcry nerfs and 2hand weapons just haven't scaled like other weapons and uniques for other builds have recently. We'll see if there's some mega 2hand Crucible shit to help slammers, I could definitely see playing one again and in terms of defense since Ultimatum they've actually just gotten tankier due to passive defense changes for everyone else (suppress didn't exist, lul).

Triggerbots looking complicated. It's going to be an Expedition type situation where you really, REALLY need to figure out your mana costs as they said the bots trigger your mana cost again for each spell, making a 30 mana spell effectively cost 60 mana every time it's triggered. With some reduced mana cost, maybe the hybrid life cost, EB, minus mana cost, and some other shit you may be okay, but this alone is going to turn off most people. Kind of sucks because that was the coolest part of the Ascendancy the rest was just big stats. Reminds me of the Slam Clone in the Chieftain tree which should be an Ascendancy defining thing, but just kind of doesn't exist.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure what non-proj chain has to do with additional projectiles.

Is it worth abusing Vengeant Cascade and steel skills to put up with Call of Steel?

Xevy

Log Wizard
I'm not sure what non-proj chain has to do with additional projectiles.
I think they just glanced over it and didn't really think about it. GGG oversight type shit. Only really effects like 4 skills, but obviously Arc being one is a biggun. Especially since Enki's Arc build is like the starter PoE Bible for new players.

• 1Truth!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Also almost certainly going to be chain/fork shit on the Crucible. They showed some already iirc. And the skill specific ones just get crazier and crazier as we see them:

1680642468654.png