Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
OMG this.... why are we this way?

This happens to me in most games that give me too many options and opportunities to self-gimp.
I have thought about this, and I have formed a theory:

a) MMO's have wired our thought-process over the years: Always chasing the FOTM class/spec.
b) The low cost (relatively) for re-rolling, especially in the early stages.

In a real tabletop setting a DM would kick your ass out the door if you ever suggested restarting the campaign, just so you can roll a new character that is better for ... whatever reason you came up with. The computer doesn't really care.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So started a new game and Camillia somehow managed to end up under the world in the Maze. FFS. With/without stealth on so you can actually see wtf she is. Won't let me disarm traps/pick locks etc.. due to this.
1630784650481.png
1630784666771.png

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
This is what will happen to me.

1. Spend around 2 hours creating a character.
2. Start playing the game.
3. Get to a point within the first 30-60 minutes where I realize a different character would be better because of alignment, class, or race.
4. Quit and go back and repeat 1-3 about 5 times before I'm happy.
5. Continue and reach another point where I realize one of previous character would be better, load save game and continue.
6. Repeat 5 a few times.
7. 25 hours later, I'm still in the first 2 hours of the game debating which character is best to go forward with..

Started 4 characters so far while wasting hours making a character all the way to the end, then going back to class only to change it. Not made it topside yet. Was trying a few at the start just to see if I liked them, but dropped a few because they were close to what followers become available. Glad I checked here and saw the list that was posted of followers.

I think right now I am going for a dual wielding primalist or a sylvan sorcerer summoner build.

NOTE: I have NO idea what I am doing in terms of understanding of the underlying mechanics. I did play Kingmaker, still clueless as to the dozens of options that the sorc has, but apparently the sylvan sorc summoner is a fairly straightforward build that is hard to mess up.

• 1Worf

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
PSA: Well here's the bugs popping up.

Bug and mild spoiler (I'm not going to spoiler tag it because it's pretty obvious: You're going to lead an army and take back Drezen): Make a backup save after you retake Drezen. Apparently the crusade mechanics are still screwy and you can get hosed, causing a cascade failure, losing your army, and a game over screen.

You can put the Crusade on auto to avoid this, HOWEVER, you cannot unlock Lich if Crusade is on Auto. You also miss out on some magical items. So yeah. Kind of lame and I hope it's patched soon.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Here's what I'm doing:

Financially support game with purchase early.

Wait for patches.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Financially support game with purchase early.

Wait for patches.
Already a step ahead of you:

Financially support game with Kickstarter backer money early.

Wait for patches after being stuck in a big project, and too tired to play after 12 hours of work.

• 1Worf

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I have thought about this, and I have formed a theory...
This is true, to an extent... it's a combination of things...

1) in RPG and adventure games, having autosave lock you into boss battles with sub 50% health and no potions, and youre wishing you'd have managed your inventory better

2) games like EQ where you can gimp yourself with something as mundane as diety selection at character creation

3) trying to 100% games with hidden world items, bosses, etc, where you dont want t go back and play again when you realize you missed something...

TLDR, evolution of gaming has given me massive FOMO/wouldashouldacoulda, and I end up save scumming character creation until I've got 100 hours played of the first 30 mins of the game. life is suffering.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Question for Pathfinder veterans: were there black lesbian Paladins from the start or did they diversify them in?

Also compared to Kingmaker there are so many weapon types that I haven't found a decent Scimitar and I am in Act 3 now. Weapon Focus seems a hard choice this time.

• 2Worf

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, weapon spread in the game world is a bit wonky. Less abundance of magical swords. But apparently Glaives are really popular in this world.

Also there is definitely a lot more underlying wokeness in this game than in the predecessor. Every other female is a lesbian and in some kind of leadership position.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I was majorly put off when the half orc woman commander embraced her lesbian paladin butch. Like....gtfo.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Is there a list somewhere of time gated content? I keep seeing people saying that there isn't as much of that in WotR but seems like there is enough that if I were to miss it I'd be annoyed.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is there a list somewhere of time gated content? I keep seeing people saying that there isn't as much of that in WotR but seems like there is enough that if I were to miss it I'd be annoyed.

I doubt anyone has done a comprehensive walk through yet, and that's kinda where anything like that would be listed.

I don't know of any time gated content (as in, if you don't get to it, it is gone) in the first 3 chapters, outside of not finishing quests before moving on to the next chapter. Ignorance may be bliss...

Burns

Yeah I was majorly put off when the half orc woman commander embraced her lesbian paladin butch. Like....gtfo.
Well, go evil or chaotic and browbeat the fuck out of them when you get the option!

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Question for Pathfinder veterans: were there black lesbian Paladins from the start or did they diversify them in?

Also compared to Kingmaker there are so many weapon types that I haven't found a decent Scimitar and I am in Act 3 now. Weapon Focus seems a hard choice this time.

Yes, Pathfinder has always been woke. I will grant them that they aren't totally in your face with it all the time. There's an iconic from the advanced players guide that's nonbinary; it was revealed in a Paizo blog post but never brought up in any of the rulebooks. It only came up in arguments during culture war stuff.

Yeah, weapon spread in the game world is a bit wonky. Less abundance of magical swords. But apparently Glaives are really popular in this world.

Also there is definitely a lot more underlying wokeness in this game than in the predecessor. Every other female is a lesbian and in some kind of leadership position.

Each deity/demon lord has a favored weapon. Deskari's is the scythe, Baphomet, demon lord of minotaurs and labyrinths, is the glaive, and Iomedae's is the longsword. Not surprised about the glaives, but the lack of longswords is peculiar.

As for leadership and gender, a woman also opened the Worldwound, and women leadership also failed to close it, so it balances out I guess.

• 2Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I doubt anyone has done a comprehensive walk through yet, and that's kinda where anything like that would be listed.

I don't know of any time gated content (as in, if you don't get to it, it is gone) in the first 3 chapters, outside of not finishing quests before moving on to the next chapter. Ignorance may be bliss...
Makes sense about the comprehensive walkthrough. I know for sure there is at least one from half watching CohhCarnage play through it and I thought I heard of a couple of others as well in the first chapter. I'll like just hold off until we know whats going on with it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Eh, I'm one of the largest haters of all things "woke" and while I'm sure some shit has been written to "appease" that crowd, I was somebody who never really had a problem with it in D&D/Forgotten Realms or Pathfinder/Golarion.

Both settings have always had characters/monsters that are weird as fuck, massive numbers of crazy, wacky races, etc. So, in a world with magic, 9,000 races, planes, etc. it would make sense that you'd eventually get a black, butch Paladin. Eventually, you might even be able to find a competent one. Plus, I thought Valerie from Kingmaker actually had a fairly compelling storyline, when I normally just roll my eyes and tune out female shit in these games.

I just hate when they go and change shit in retrospect, after the wokesters have REEEEEEEED enough about a particular character/person. That's the part that pisses me off, when companies cave.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The game is very good about telling you 'this is a quest that will go away after this chapter!' and that makes me pleased as I hate leaving things undone in these situations.

Also -- am I missing the point with Hellknights? They seem... dull?

• 2Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Eh, I'm one of the largest haters of all things "woke" and while I'm sure some shit has been written to "appease" that crowd, I was somebody who never really had a problem with it in D&D/Forgotten Realms or Pathfinder/Golarion.

Both settings have always had characters/monsters that are weird as fuck, massive numbers of crazy, wacky races, etc. So, in a world with magic, 9,000 races, planes, etc. it would make sense that you'd eventually get a black, butch Paladin. Eventually, you might even be able to find a competent one. Plus, I thought Valerie from Kingmaker actually had a fairly compelling storyline, when I normally just roll my eyes and tune out female shit in these games.

I just hate when they go and change shit in retrospect, after the wokesters have REEEEEEEED enough about a particular character/person. That's the part that pisses me off, when companies cave.

If you go back and read Forgotten Realms stuff from character points of view, you will realize it's always been there.

Also, Ed Greenwood's author avatar, Elminster, is the mortal Zeus of the setting; hes put his dick in just about everyone, and there was even a book where he got turned into a woman, and probably banged a bunch of other people during that time also.

The game is very good about telling you 'this is a quest that will go away after this chapter!' and that makes me pleased as I hate leaving things undone in these situations.

Also -- am I missing the point with Hellknights? They seem... dull?

Hellknights are strict arbiters of Law, so they are going to have a stick inserted up their ass and take it seriously. It's one of those stereotypes that Lawful = boring, chaotic = fun.

Burns

Tip of the Day: Multishot talent does not work with Flurry of Blows for Zen Archer (Lann). They are basically the same, but you get Flurry for free with Monk.

Just went through this, and had to reload an older save when I got to her and realized my mistake.

If you want to recruit Arueshalae (Ranger) at the end of level 2, you need to solve the "Desna Alter" puzzle at the Lost Chapel prior to moving to the set up for the final battle. You will get a warning message (that you must click OK to) saying if you move forward on mini-map, you will be locked into the chapter end ordeal.