Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Thank you, sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Dungeons And Dragons Reaction GIF by Alpha

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
I keep thinking that there are time constraints even when there aren't any thus trying to do too much without taking a long rest.

At this point I definitely have some MVPs in the group, but also some who are purely situational and just jerk off in the corner otherwise. Unfortunately one of those people is my main dude :(
I'm in the same boat. I just got my first Mythic level, and there's some major winners and some losers in my companions thus far (Core rules, but I turned on the respec option):

Seelah - playing her as an old-school sword/board Paladin; it's working pretty well so far. Not a big damage dealer, but consistent and fairly tanky. Also, props to Owlcat for making a Strong Black Woman character that I don't immediately roll my eyes at (her obvious love of beer and hanging out with her buddies helps).

Camellia - starts slowly but is ramping up nicely as my off-tank and party buffer. Has strong trickery and stealth skills, so I send her in first as a scout while Seelah is my door-kicker that initiates combat. Camellia then flanks, charges, or otherwise ties down enemies as needed to set up solid combos.

Lann - seems like a solid ranged DPS, but I took Wendaug instead.

Wendaug - my ranged DPS queen. I gave her a bunch of Ranger Demonslayer levels, and she crushes with just a normal Masterwork Compound Longbow and some Cold Iron ammo. Will probably wind up the game as Fighter 4/Ranger Demonslayer 16.

Woljif - my melee DPS (and secondary crowd control, thanks to the Grease spell). He's Rogue Scoundrel 3/Alchemist Vivesectionist 3 right now, and with Seelah and Camellia tying down enemies, Woljif is constantly hitting with massive sneak attacks on basically everything. His shitty fort/will saves and low HP make him fall over dead if anything looks at him funny, however.

Ember - I was prepared to hate her, but she's quickly become my go-to for debuffing and crowd-control spells. Her witch hexes absolutely rule once I figured out how to use them; everyone gets the Evil Eye debuff, with the exception of the poor bastard she casts Slumber on. That guy winds up getting a Coup De Grace to the face and dying horribly. She can't hit the broadside of a barn with weapons, thanks to her built-in debuff to attacks.

Nenio - seems utterly useless, but that's probably because she's a shittier version of my main character (who is also a Wizard Scroll Savant). Her character design also grates on me; the anime hair alone makes me want to feed her to the demon lords.

Daeran - I want to like him as a character, but I haven't been able to find much use for him in my party so far. I don't much like the Oracle curse mechanic from what I've seen of it, and I don't really need more healing or spell casting at this point in the game. Might revisit him later on in the campaign, as I'm strongly leaning towards Lich as my Mythic path and might need an evil buddy to hang out with my main character.

Main Character - Wizard Scroll Savant Necromancer. You get so many scrolls so early that I never felt very restricted by my lack of spell slots at the early levels; my main always has something useful to do in combat without resorting to shooting a bow. Plus, now that I've learned Fireball, my enemies are praying they have either amazing Reflex saves or big fire resistance. I can't wait to fully unlock the LIch path and see how that works out.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Some of the default prebuilt progression paths for the Companions are just awful. I keep trying to see if there is some hidden synergy that its building towards, but there doesn't seem to be. Lann is my MVP currently as he just annihilates with a keen longbow, the problem is that he doesn't seem to really get any benefit from being a monk per se.

• 1Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Some of the default prebuilt progression paths for the Companions are just awful. I keep trying to see if there is some hidden synergy that its building towards, but there doesn't seem to be. Lann is my MVP currently as he just annihilates with a keen longbow, the problem is that he doesn't seem to really get any benefit from being a monk per se.

Companions that are supposed to be tanks but don't have 13 INT to take combat expertise make my eyes twitch when I think about them.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Zen archer gets flurry of blows and has no need to take the rapid shot -> multi shot line. He also gets those extra attacks sooner, because of this. I don't think they are the top bow user, but they are close. Slayer (Deliverer) or Fighter (Mutagen?) may work out best in the end, but until something like level 12, Zen beats all.

Monk can also survive slightly longer if they get jumped by melee.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been wondering what the best archer is now too. IIRC in Kingmaker it was a toss-up between pure Deliverer and pure Vivisectionist.

Burns

I've been wondering what the best archer is now too. IIRC in Kingmaker it was a toss-up between pure Deliverer and pure Vivisectionist.

The best "archer" is a Grenadier tossing 6 bombs a round!

Resist? Who cares, still does half damage! Miss? Who cares, the AOE is big enough it still hits everything! Immunity? Who cares, mythic levels punch through them!

• 3Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Any poopsockers complete this yet? Consensus? Good enough now or still wait for bugs?

The negative steam reviews with >30 hours seem to be avoid for now due to bugs.

Burns

Any poopsockers complete this yet? Consensus? Good enough now or still wait for bugs?

The negative steam reviews with >30 hours seem to be avoid for now due to bugs.

Waiting will certainly make the game better, regardless.

It is in much better shape than Kingmaker was, but there are little bugs everywhere; mostly on new classes/mechanics (at least that's the impression after reading the bug report forum). The latest update managed to break auto-cast remaining enabled after a fight, which is an annoyance on Kineticist (if you forget to turn on autocast, at the start of each fight, they run up and unarmed punch things, then get murdered by attacks of opportunity) .

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Only bug I've run into so far are looting issues where corpses are out of sync with where you have to actually click. Nothing has been game-breaking and I've still been able to loot everything, but it can get annoying sometimes. Fortunately, Owlcat are genius' and give you a list of all the loot you "left-behind" when you leave an area.

I haven't played with any of the "new" mechanics and immediately noped the fuck out of a "mounted" Cavalier, which is why I rolled Disciple of the Pike instead of dealing with mounted shit. After seeing how poorly they implemented Inquisitors in Kingmaker, I knew any of the classes with weird mechanics would likely be buggy as shit.

• 3Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ah fucker I got an inquisitor. Haven't moved too far as the old ball and chain wants to see the story but lacks the beard brain to handle the game otherwise.

• 1Worf

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the only bug i've gotten is at the beginning of act 2 in the warcamp, several npc's weren't there, including the one you need to progress the quest. but i just loaded an earlier autosave and it was fine.

Jozu

So i ended up rerolling my Sword sain and went with a fighter/ Bloodrage or whatever its called and its way better at the start and im having more fun.

• 1Like

Burns

So i ended up rerolling my Sword sain and went with a fighter/ Bloodrage or whatever its called and its way better at the start and im having more fun.

I think Sword Saint has that caster progression of weak levels 1-6, starting to warm up for levels 7 - 10, and then boom, melts everyone's face.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think Sword Saint has that caster progression of weak levels 1-6, starting to warm up for levels 7 - 10, and then boom, melts everyone's face.
Yeah, Pathfinder and 3.5 have a LOT of classes like that.

The big issue with games like these is that most companions are built like absolute shit, so unless you play on potato difficulty, it's very tough to start that way.

Burns

Yeah, Pathfinder and 3.5 have a LOT of classes like that.

The big issue with games like these is that most companions are built like absolute shit, so unless you play on potato difficulty, it's very tough to start that way.

That's why Lann lights your way, in the early game (as long as Seelah and Cam are taking the heat, quaffin them potions).

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah with Lann, just make sure to get them cold arrow quivers though. I can't say I am too happy with the Pathfinder games having these huge side things (kingdom managements, army management) taking away from just going into dungeons and solving quests. Although I am pleased about the HoMM 3 nostalgia mechanics for the army system.

• 1Like

Jozu

This game could be AMAZING with mods.

If they fixed/upgraded itemization, and sharpened/balanced the combat as well as added more companions, the game would enter into historically good IMO.

But at the moment there isnt enough itemization balance, and also a lot of feats/abilities and spells end up being way better than others.

And yeah I figured Sword Saint was just weak out of the gate. I might go back and try lvling but I am enjoying my Scion.

Last edited:

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
This game could be AMAZING with mods.

If they fixed/upgraded itemization, and sharpened/balanced the combat as well as added more companions, the game would enter into historically good IMO.

But at the moment there isnt enough itemization balance, and also a lot of feats/abilities and spells end up being way better than others.

And yeah I figured Sword Saint was just weak out of the gate. I might go back and try lvling but I am enjoying my Blood Fighter.
Unfortunately the way they coded Kingmaker made it an absolute nightmare to mod for. I don't remember exactly, but the way the files were packaged, altering one file interfered with the functionality of a lot of other files. They did add basic functionality and a mod interface 3 months ago, but the interface is still being worked on.

I suspect mod support will expand with each game they're working on. I'm betting coders will get some decent content mods going in Wrath, and it'll get better when they make a third game (Leading candidates based on rumors, hype, and hearsay for the next game is either Skulls & Shackles or Iron Gods).

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users