Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
They get mutagen at lv1 pls a rank of sneak attack. The mutagen gives you a +2ac natural armor bonus and a plus 4 physical ability bump at the cost of a -2 to wis int or cha of your choice. So a lot of bang for your buck of a 1 lv dip.
Mutagenic Fighter is A++ like a 4 level dip as opposed to vivi for a melee character.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Mutagenic Fighter is A++ like a 4 level dip as opposed to vivi for a melee character.
Damnit, now that's going to screw with my Legendary monk build.

I really wish there was a character generator that you could sit in toy around with. I keep doing searches for it online periodically to see if somebody's created one, but so far no dice.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Damnit, now that's going to screw with my Legendary monk build.

I really wish there was a character generator that you could sit in toy around with. I keep doing searches for it online periodically to see if somebody's created one, but so far no dice.
Hero Labs actually had a really great tool for the PnP version, but a lot of that stuff doesn't translate to the game, which sucks.

• 2Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
something about this game seems off for me. I can't seem to get into it. Like very little minor things bother me. Like in combat the attack indicator when you hover over the enemy is very small and you have to be extremely precise, otherwise you might move a mouse 1 pixel and it turns to move and if you click, you're fucked. Also not enough voice acting. There's no narrator. And it's annoying when you try to read sometimes lines of narrative text, and suddenly the voice-over continues. Mouse clicking doesn't continue/end the dialog. Had to remap a mouse key for that. Moving stacks of crap is tedious. Nameplates are huge, enemy hp bars are too small. But I do like the game, a lot. Maybe someone will mod in fixes over time and I can get back to it.
I've installed DoS2 because I got the RPG itch. Gonna try tactician and most likely get my ass fucked hard

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The biggest one for me is when I'm spacebarring through the enemies turn (especially all the assholes I made go night-night) and I accidently spacebar through the turn of one of my characters. It usually results in an audible, "MOTHER FUCKER!". I wish they had an option of a prompt that triggers if your character still has "actions" remaining (move, standard, free, etc.)

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The biggest one for me is when I'm spacebarring through the enemies turn (especially all the assholes I made go night-night) and I accidently spacebar through the turn of one of my characters. It usually results in an audible, "MOTHER FUCKER!". I wish they had an option of a prompt that triggers if your character still has "actions" remaining (move, standard, free, etc.)

From what I have seen, spacebar only needs to be hit once and all enemies are sped up until it gets back to you (I still end up hitting the spacebar over and over).

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
From what I have seen, spacebar only needs to be hit once and all enemies are sped up until it gets back to you (I still end up hitting the spacebar over and over).
Yeah, that's the problem. I know what it does, but it doesn't stop me from spamming it like a crackheaded retard, jumping around on his mount in WoW.

• 1Worf

Burns

Was playing with builds and just realized that all 1 round/level buffs are now 24 hours long with Extend Metamagic and Greater Enduring Spell (once you hit 18 Cleric/8 Angel or 18 Wizard/8 Lich (at the start of chapter 5)). You can also chose the favored Metamagic mythic feat, for extend, to make it cost 0 levels when applied.

• 1Like

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
I used to really hate dipping as it is so unbelievable immersion breaking to do it. Pathfinder class dipping has so much less penalties than dual classing/multiclassing in Forgotten Realms or similar there is like no reason to not do it.

But as a fantasy nerd it rustles my jimmies that a barbarian would dip into a cross blooded sorcerer for one level just to get the multiple bloodlines and tap out the lvl 20 bloodline feats like in that meat shield build posted a few pages ago. Sounds legit!

Given how utterly insane you can get with the correct dips I can appreciate it more now. Although it's still conceptually stupid. I am thinking up some lvl 40 Legendary builds because I really want to go hog wild with that and see how completely insane it could be.
The game's difficulty is high enough that it seems impossible to get anywhere on higher difficulties without munchkining. To survive unfair I had to make my main a scaled fist/sword saint/witch/dragon disciple/instinctual warrior to get AC high enough.

• 2Like

Burns

The game's difficulty is high enough that it seems impossible to get anywhere on higher difficulties without munchkining. To survive unfair I had to make my main a scaled fist/sword saint/witch/dragon disciple/instinctual warrior to get AC high enough.

To survive unfair, you really need to know all the fights and the game pretty well, in order to win without cheating some fights (lowering the difficulty or using mods). This is how they designed both games.

On Hard, the last fight of chapter 4 was the first truly ridiculous, non-optional fight. I had to cheese it with mountains of summons, a Kineticist, and Angel spells, the rest of my party was worthless and I still wiped 15+ times.

• 1Like

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
To survive unfair, you really need to know all the fights and the game pretty well, in order to win without cheating some fights (lowering the difficulty or using mods). This is how they designed both games.

On Hard, the last fight of chapter 4 was the first truly ridiculous, non-optional fight. I had to cheese it with mountains of summons, a Kineticist, and Angel spells, the rest of my party was worthless and I still wiped 15+ times.
Haven't gotten that far yet, doesn't bode well lol. My first build hit a wall and I had to restart, now I've just conquered Drezen and the strat of sending the 65 AC tank that nothing can hit to the front to tank everything while 4 archer companions shoot from range has worked out ok.

• 1Like

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Game is horribly designed as a system overall and seems like it was designed by assholes who force people to adopt these dumb fucking Frankenstein class combos. Not exclusive to PF, some of the D&D stuff is equally awfully designed (Rime of the Frostmaiden Im looking at you).

The alchemist bomb spammers are hilariously fucking stupid and whoever came up with that idea needs dickpunched. The one I was fighting at level 4 had something close to 30 ac and was 1 shotting people on core difficulty and basically ignoring most of my teams AC.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What did the witch dip do?

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
What did the witch dip do?
Iceplant hex for +2 AC, and ability to self cast mage armor (Sword saint doesn't get it) for archmage armor. Also, stig witch is a spontaneous caster which enables dragon disciple.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Game is horribly designed as a system overall and seems like it was designed by assholes who force people to adopt these dumb fucking Frankenstein class combos. Not exclusive to PF, some of the D&D stuff is equally awfully designed (Rime of the Frostmaiden Im looking at you).

The alchemist bomb spammers are hilariously fucking stupid and whoever came up with that idea needs dickpunched. The one I was fighting at level 4 had something close to 30 ac and was 1 shotting people on core difficulty and basically ignoring most of my teams AC.
Now here's where I get a bit nostalgic. Old DND you really only had Dual Classing and Multi-Classing. Both of which had massive drawbacks and made your character really weak for sometimes a long ass time until you hit the stride where the character became OP. So even on Pen and paper, you balanced this with your fellow players having to cover down on how shit you were until that happened and you could do shit other than just try and not die. This was damn 20 years ago for me now lol. But Multi-class Fighter Rogue or Rogue/Wizard(or Sorcerer) was generally a safe way to use it and gave you a lot of needed skills and whatnot if your party was otherwise limited.

But Pathfinder abandons that. Dip into whatever fucking class you want son! Do it! Which is why almost all melee dip monk or vivisectionist just because of the frontloaded benefits.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I am not smart enough about Pathfinder to know how to make the best character with the best dips, etc. so I just made my main character what I wanted (2h Fighter) and am following guides for the companions. I guarantee my main character could be better with some research and dips, but I would literally just be taking someone else's word for it and not coming up with the ideas on my own. I also have the issue that I wanted greataxe, so I chose Rovagug as the god, which means the only non-evil alignment I could start with was CN (which I've subsequently changed via convo choices to CG for the DR bypass), which means I'm SOL on any dips that require lawful (paladin, monk at least I know.) And I know early game a vivi dip is pretty big, but at this point (act 3) an extra 1d6 sneak attack doesn't really matter to me. Mutagens sure, but meh.

Anyway, my biggest issue right now is the motherfucking stack of doom blocking me from getting to a bunch of quest locations on the map. My main army has a level 9 general and is "ranked" 7, and I'm buying new recruits as fast as I can, but they are coming relatively slow. That stack of doom is somehow only ranked 8 (which I have beaten before), but has its own general that fucking nukes me back, like 9 different troops (most meaty as fuck) and a stack of like 500 archers that just one-shot any of my own archers/infantry that aren't tough boys. Can't resurrect if the whole unit is dead! Does the difficulty level in the options affect army combat? Because I'm at the point where I either wait months and months to recruit more troops, or I bump the difficulty down and just say fuck it. If that even works.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Pathfinder is built off of the d20 open gaming license that was part of the third edition of Dungeons and Dragons. Anyone could make d20 products along certain fairly lax guidelines so when third edition launched you had tons of companies convert their existing games over. You had d20 Star Wars (not bad), d20 Deadlands (bleh) d20 Legend of the Five Rings (barf) etc. It heavily saturated the market with basically the same game system and got old pretty fast.

It's actually pretty embarrassing that Pathfinder was more successful than the entire 4th edition of DnD. People preferred the 3rd edition fanfic to the official DnD product.

The absurd multiclassing stuff is just part of d20. The official forums used to have an optimizer section where people posted the craziest shit stealing bits from every licensed product there was.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Really sucks they left out so many racial feats and such. Went Halfling with my Disciple of the Pike specifically to get all the bonuses for fighting big shit, but so many feats just don't exist. Risky Striker, Steadfast Slayer, Bladed Brush, etc. I was going for the whole "Monster Hunter" theme and since so many thing are larger than a halfling, it works well.

Ugh, contemplating a reroll, but I'm already pretty deep into A2.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm playing on Core now. My second playthrough will be Legendary on Hard...

If I am good enough to figure it out.

• 1Like