Persona 5

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
P4G was great on PSTV, Vita wasn't really bad either except that fishing and bug catching were nigh impossible to do perfectly without reloading the game a dozen+ times. I would definitely find a way to macro that shit if there's a pc version.

What I want most of all still is a remake of P3 FES that adds the improvements from P3P without gimping it for the PSP (town was just menus and no walking around, etc.).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This has to be one of my top five favorite console games of all time. Every so often I pull it off the shelf, toss it in the PS4 Pro, and play it again from the beginning. Just amazing game really.

My favorite part about it is the perfect pacing. Makes it the most chill game to just relax and enjoy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok, so someone tell me why my wife all of a sudden says she wants to play persona? is it in the news or something?

so i got persona 5 royal? ordered, i guess it's just persona 5 w/ dlc or whatever.

persona 4 is fucking ps2 or vita? fucking christ, i had to order a vita with a broken joystick from japan (i got a replacement ordered too), jesus, they couldn't remake this game on the ps4 or something.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
ok, so someone tell me why my wife all of a sudden says she wants to play persona? is it in the news or something?

so i got persona 5 royal? ordered, i guess it's just persona 5 w/ dlc or whatever.

persona 4 is fucking ps2 or vita? fucking christ, i had to order a vita with a broken joystick from japan (i got a replacement ordered too), jesus, they couldn't remake this game on the ps4 or something.

Don't think it has had any special marketing push since it was released?

Royal version is like Persona 4 golden (Persona 4 is PS2 and vita. Can also get it on PSTV if you have that, though I think they stopped selling those).

Royal started out as a DLC, but ended up too big so they added it into the base game (with the benefit for them to sell the game again at full price). Some QOL changes, lots of extra dialogue, new playable character and several new confidants to level up. Adds around 30++ hours to the base game. I spent around 110 or so hours to finish the original. About 60 hours into the Royal version, which I am not sure if I can say is worth it at full price if you have the original already, but is also better than the original in most ways. So definitely the right choice for a first time purchase of the game.

PS: Would recommend playing on normal for a regular player. Hard isn't hard until a bit into the game where one bossfight is a straight up roadblock unless you either really min max your personas and items or grind out several levels above the fight.

It's an amazing game though and one of the best jrpgs I've played in a very long time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Don't think it has had any special marketing push since it was released?

Royal version is like Persona 4 golden (Persona 4 is PS2 and vita. Can also get it on PSTV if you have that, though I think they stopped selling those).

Royal started out as a DLC, but ended up too big so they added it into the base game (with the benefit for them to sell the game again at full price). Some QOL changes, lots of extra dialogue, new playable character and several new confidants to level up. Adds around 30++ hours to the base game. I spent around 110 or so hours to finish the original. About 60 hours into the Royal version, which I am not sure if I can say is worth it at full price if you have the original already, but is also better than the original in most ways. So definitely the right choice for a first time purchase of the game.

PS: Would recommend playing on normal for a regular player. Hard isn't hard until a bit into the game where one bossfight is a straight up roadblock unless you either really min max your personas and items or grind out several levels above the fight.

It's an amazing game though and one of the best jrpgs I've played in a very long time.
so personal5 royal would includ persona 4?... ah whatever i just confirmed my dhl vita shipment anyway, not like it'll hurt to have another portable console.

so just playing personal5 royal would be enough then? k

cool, thanks

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
so personal5 royal would includ persona 4?... ah whatever i just confirmed my dhl vita shipment anyway, not like it'll hurt to have another portable console.

so just playing personal5 royal would be enough then? k

cool, thanks
No, persona 4 is a completely different game. Persona 5 royal is basically Persona 5 + a large DLC that also modified the base game.

Persona 4 golden is similar in that it’s an update to persona 4. P4G is vita only I believe

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No, persona 4 is a completely different game. Persona 5 royal is basically Persona 5 + a large DLC that also modified the base game.

Persona 4 golden is similar in that it’s an update to persona 4. P4G is vita only I believe
so which one to play first? they both come at the same time

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
so which one to play first? they both come at the same time
Doesn’t matter, they are independent stories and characters. The playstyle is very similar is all.

P5 being much more new will look better, play smoother, and have a better overall QoL. That said I liked the story of P4G better

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
P4G is getting a remaster on steam that is almost all but confirmed at this point, it kinda follows that soon after they'll announce a PS4 version. All Persona games are independent unlike Assassins Creed or Yakuza so you can play Persona 5 Royale for the next six months then pick up P4G on PS4 or PS5 or PC next year to check it out.

Persona 5 Royale will take about 100-130 hours to complete, its a really long, long ass game. There are diaries and shit you can read online if you want to play "optimally", unfortunately you have to make choices quite often (like ingame "daily") and there are good choices and bad choices and bad choices lock you out of character friendships, items, etc. If you don't give a shit about 100%'ing the game then its no big deal, but if you do care its an annoying aspect of Persona since none of it is obvious or really rational.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I absolutely recommend not trying to optimize your play through like that. You’ll probably end up hating the game from how tedious it will be. I did that for a small part of the game before saying fuck it. What sucks is what is the “right” answer is basically a complete guess most of the time.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You can also optimize the first couple months (after getting full control), learning from what the guide tells you to do on particular days, and then apply that to the rest of the game to easily max out all social links by the end. About the only thing you miss out on is who you can hang out with during the class trip, but I don't think it's possible to unlock every option on the first playthrough even if you follow a guide to the letter, at least not without screwing up a bunch of other, more important stuff. Maxing social links, getting the highest test score, etc. is *vastly* easier in P5 compared to P3 and P4. I haven't played P5R yet though, so I'm not sure if the additional content adds any time crunch. Given that I had over a month of free days left at the end of the game with nothing to do, and I only followed a guide for a short while, I kind of doubt it.

To me the most tedious part was getting a full set of perfect personas. spronk spronk says 100-130h, but I had closer to 200 hours in it.... over 160 of those before NG+.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Play 5 first, then play 4 then you get too see the horror that is the old velvet room.(They changed it up so much in 5 that it's a cake walk maxing out persona stats)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Only 20euros, that's kinda surprising tbh, I'd have expected a 30-40euros pricetag(even though it's old as shit and shouldn't).

spronk

FPS noob
almost bought and started playing right away, but it has Denuvo which i am not a fan of. I'm finishing up 2-3 other games so can wait a few months and hopefully they strip Denuvo by then, or maybe itll go up on GOG or something

or might just wait to see if they make a switch/PS4 port

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Persona 4 Golden is now on steam, $20 + $5 for deluxe (?)

Fuck yeah boy. I never played any of the other personas but once this hits a steam sale I am on that shit. For those who have is it as good as Persona 5?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Fuck yeah boy. I never played any of the other personas but once this hits a steam sale I am on that shit. For those who have is it as good as Persona 5?
It’s very similar. If you liked 5 I don’t see a reason why you wouldn’t like 4