Pets

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Chicken, whole grain corn, barley, rice, chicken by-product meal, whole grain wheat, corn gluten meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols, soybean meal, oat meal, poultry by-product meal, glyceregg and chicken flavor, mono and dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, poultry and pork digest, avocado, dried carrots, dried tomatoes, MINERALS [zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], VITAMINS [Vitamin E supplement, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), menadione sodium bisulfite (Vitamin K), folic acid, biotin], choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2, garlic oil, Yellow 6.

Ingredients for Beneful. Notice how many grains are in there? A LOT. You're feeding you dog shit.

Buy Orijen. Stuff is excellent for you pet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Chicken, whole grain corn, barley, rice, chicken by-product meal, whole grain wheat, corn gluten meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols, soybean meal, oat meal, poultry by-product meal, glyceregg and chicken flavor, mono and dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, poultry and pork digest, avocado, dried carrots, dried tomatoes, MINERALS [zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], VITAMINS [Vitamin E supplement, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), menadione sodium bisulfite (Vitamin K), folic acid, biotin], choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2, garlic oil, Yellow 6.

Ingredients for Beneful. Notice how many grains are in there? A LOT. You're feeding you dog shit.

Buy Orijen. Stuff is excellent for you pet.
but it smells so fucking good!

Oldbased

> Than U
Beyond is worlds above the normal crapfood most people buy. Friskies, Cat chow and god forbid the even cheaper brands. We use Beyond because their fur looks better, they crap less and seem more active on it than other foods. Natural Balance is what we use for wet food. Dry food is left out for around the clock snacking.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
This is what I feed my dogs, Its out 100% of the time.

BLUE Wilderness® High-Protein, Grain-Free Dog Food | Blue Buffalo

Someone take down my recommendation and why its killing my dogs, I'm up for public scrutiny.

We blend up some chicken breasts and feed that mixed in a few times a week. Eating a good diet for a human, has the same benefits as eating a good diet for a pet. Biggest thing to work on with a new dog is food psychosis. Run them around, and work hard to rewire any food aggression. They need to know they need not worry where their next food comes from so that they eat when they are hungry versus when it is available. That combination has successfully kept my hounds fit and at their near ideal weight. My Jack Russel/Border Collie is 10 years old, and she weighs just just a few pounds more than her spay weight. Its pretty nice to not have to worry about food with them, even though a dog will always act like your next bite of food is the greatest shit they've never tried before.

Oldbased

> Than U
I think there is some confusion on the Beyond line compared to normal shit tier food. Beyond doesn't contain corn as top ingredient and it is always proteins.
Here is normal Friskies- #1 ingredient is corn which makes your pets shit a ton and smell like crap.

ra.png

Here is Beyond- #1 ingredient is fish in this case. Our pets stopped puking, crap less and smell better. They are more active too.

raaa.png

Finally here is Blue Wilderness top tier food if you can afford to feed it to 6 cats a month, great!

raaaa.png

Beyond is not shit tier food by any means, it is right up there with the best cat foods. I don't know about dogs. It is also 240% the cost of normal purina cat food which is why this was a good deal, but still a bit cheaper than Blue Wilderness/Natural Balance.

I've found Natural Balance wet food is reasonable when it comes to cat food though. When bought in bulk of 24pk boxes I can usually get the LID version which is the best for just over $1 a 3oz pouch.
Our cats are fed this morning and night and Beyond is left out all day.

Oddly enough Science Diet comes in at 31-33% protein and while like the other top 2 I listed Beyond and Blue Wilderness, doesn't have corn, wheat and soy and by product meals the "standard" cat food does, fails to line up as well in nutrition imo.

Last edited:

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Beyond is better than anything else Purina puts out but it is a mid-tier food and definitely not up there with the best foods.

Ocean whitefish, chicken meal, pea protein, pea starch, cassava root flour, dried egg product, beef fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols, dried yeast, canola meal, pea fiber, natural liver flavor, dried sweet potatoes

Beyond's first ingredient is Fish, but it is not fish meal. Fish is about 80% water by weight. Pet food ingredients are listed by weight so once it is dried down into a kibble form, it actually belongs much lower on the list. Chicken meal is the real first ingredient in the food. After that you have a significant amount of starches. Pea protein, pea starch, cassava root and canola meal are all high protein starches that are worse than meat, especially for cats. Pea protein is about 80% protein, Canola meal is 37% protein as a dry base. Both of these significantly bump up the protein in the guaranteed analysis but are lackluster ingredients for cats.

AAFCO guidelines require that foods labelled as "recipes" must contain at least 25% of the labelled ingredients. So the whitefish and the dried egg product may only be 25% of the ingredients in the food. These labelling guidelines means it is possible to make a "recipe" where only 25% of the food is meat, and 75% are carbohydrates. You can make the following recipe: Fish meal(25%), corn(24%), corn gluten meal(23%), pea meal(22%), and there you have a recipe with meat as the first ingredient that doesn't contain much meat. All of this is a raw analysis, and doesn't speak to the actual quality of the ingredients going into the food, which could be anything from unhatched and nutritionally crappy eggs to condemned meats (potentially).

Orijen is 85% meat and significantly better for cats than Beyond.

Fresh chicken meat (18%), fresh turkey meat (7%), fresh whole eggs (5%), fresh chicken liver (5%), fresh whole flounder (4%), fresh whole herring (4%), fresh turkey liver (4%), fresh chicken heart (4%), fresh turkey heart (4%), fresh chicken necks (4%), chicken (dehydrated, 4%), turkey (dehydrated, 4%), whole mackerel (dehydrated, 4%), whole sardine (dehydrated, 4%), whole herring (dehydrated, 4%), chicken fat (3%), whole red lentils, whole green peas, whole green lentils, whole chickpeas, whole yellow peas, lentil fiber, whole pinto beans, whole navy beans, chicken cartilage (dehydrated, 1%), herring oil (1%), chicken liver (freeze-dried), turkey liver (freeze-dried)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Seriously, have you guys ever taken a chunk of dog food? i ate a chunk of iams and pedigree once, when my wife told me line managers had to scarf down a handful to check out the quality (and why she couldn't transfer to pet line). Dry as shit, tasted like crap, however i didn't barf and in a survival situation i can certainly see myself devouring bags of dogfood.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Seriously, have you guys ever taken a chunk of dog food? i ate a chunk of iams and pedigree once, when my wife told me line managers had to scarf down a handful to check out the quality (and why she couldn't transfer to pet line). Dry as shit, tasted like crap, however i didn't barf and in a survival situation i can certainly see myself devouring bags of dogfood.

You're Asian. You have a genetic predisposition to confuse the taste of Shar-Pei meat with prime rib.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm sure all your dogs outperform my Purina dog and are happier and live better

Went to the vet today for the annual and asked about the anal gland. She pulled out what I can only describe as sludge, I guess it was blocked up. Said everything else was fine and come back if it keeps happening.

Needless to say I've never smelt something so bad in all of my life. It stank up THE ENTIRE vet practice.

• 1Solidarity

Vinen

God is dead
I'm sure all your dogs outperform my Purina dog and are happier and live better

Went to the vet today for the annual and asked about the anal gland. She pulled out what I can only describe as sludge, I guess it was blocked up. Said everything else was fine and come back if it keeps happening.

Needless to say I've never smelt something so bad in all of my life. It stank up THE ENTIRE vet practice.

Yeah. They clean this out when I take my dog to get groomed.
Called expressing the gland or something :shrug:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah. They clean this out when I take my dog to get groomed.
Called expressing the gland or something :shrug:
i first saw it on "dirty jobs", mike rowe had the most befuddled look, and he's seen some shit.