Pets

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, took me a few weeks to stop visualizing what that experience would be like. Just a shitty way to go.

ya I know shrinks say it's not healthy to block things out, but that's something that needs to be blocked out and never thought about again.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You....gave chemo to a dog? Wow. Vets sure are some greedy fucks.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Who knows how much of this applies to Tuco, but think on this:

-Fewer and fewer people are growing up on farms or other places where you love your animals, but at the end of the day, they're a tool or a product. You take care of them as long as it makes sense, and then you terminate and replace.

-Birth rate in the US is down
-divisions between peoples and groups are up
-most of us are between the two ages where we're most willing to put up with other people's shit (in that young LOVE WILL FIX EVERYTHING category, or old "I'm just glad you're here in case I fall")
-Yet the human need to love and be loved hasn't changed.

For more and more people, pets are replacements for children or even other humans. Under those circumstances, paying hundreds for a purebred, or paying thousands in vet bills makes sense.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Who knows how much of this applies to Tuco, but think on this:

-Fewer and fewer people are growing up on farms or other places where you love your animals, but at the end of the day, they're a tool or a product. You take care of them as long as it makes sense, and then you terminate and replace.

-Birth rate in the US is down
-divisions between peoples and groups are up
-most of us are between the two ages where we're most willing to put up with other people's shit (in that young LOVE WILL FIX EVERYTHING category, or old "I'm just glad you're here in case I fall")
-Yet the human need to love and be loved hasn't changed.

For more and more people, pets are replacements for children or even other humans. Under those circumstances, paying hundreds for a purebred, or paying thousands in vet bills makes sense.
Well, you're probably on to something. My friend in insurance science says it's the next rocket, insurance for pets.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

i'll sidestep your faggotness and respond for the other folks benefit

it's not like humans, they give dogs who show no other signs of cancer chemo after cutting out a cancerous chunk (in this case, his shoulder) as a preventative measure with the goal of killing the micro bits of cancer that can't be detected. They give them very low doses compared to humans so it doesn't fuck with their quality of life. He'd get at treatment once or month, and have slight lethargy for 24 hours and then be 100% back to his normal self until the next month.

In his case the chemo didn't work, but doing chemo gives a dog an average of two extra years after cancer removal surgery, vs an average of six months w/o the chemo.

edit: and I see we we're talking money, my wife and I do well for ourselves, the cost wasn't a factor in our decision, as I said in my previous posts, we weren't the type of people who'd think of fighting cancer in a dog until we got a few days from putting him down and I read up on pet oncology. We got him 6 really good pain free months and although I'm still on the fence if i'd do it again, i'd say it was money fairly well spent.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

it's not like humans, they give dogs who show no other signs of cancer chemo after cutting out a cancerous chunk (in this case, his shoulder) as a preventative measure with the goal of killing the micro bits of cancer that can't be detected. They give them very low doses compared to humans so it doesn't fuck with their quality of life. He'd get at treatment once or month, and have slight lethargy for 24 hours and then be 100% back to his normal self until the next month.

In his case the chemo didn't work, but doing chemo gives a dog an average of two extra years after cancer removal surgery, vs an average of six months w/o the chemo.

edit: and I see we we're talking money, my wife and I do well for ourselves, the cost wasn't a factor in our decision, as I said in my previous posts, we weren't the type of people who'd think of fighting cancer in a dog until we got a few days from putting him down and I read up on pet oncology. We got him 6 really good pain free months and although I'm still on the fence if i'd do it again, i'd say it was money fairly well spent.
yea dude, if you let him be all dog for another 6 months and he basically had to go through what amounted to monthly allergy injections, thats not a horror story.

i'm also sure you had vet approval, they basically know if it's a lost cause or not.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
yea dude, if you let him be all dog for another 6 months and he basically had to go through what amounted to monthly allergy injections, thats not a horror story.

i'm also sure you had vet approval, they basically know if it's a lost cause or not.

ya he went in for a full day of tests pre operation to see if he was a good candidate for the operation, IE good rear joints, no visiable cancer spread, strong enough physical condition ect. he was walking a day after his front leg was removed, and running faster than me two weeks after.

if he had had bad hips or arthritis they wouldn't have done it

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ya he went in for a full day of tests pre operation to see if he was a good candidate for the operation, IE good rear joints, no visiable cancer spread, strong enough physical condition ect. he was walking a day after his front leg was removed, and running faster than me two weeks after.

if he had had bad hips or arthritis they wouldn't have done it
to give you opposite story, my doggie had lip cancer and he was fine for 6months after surgery then one day his whole face ballooned up to a lion. my doggie doc and then the state cancer doggie doc said that chemo is an option but it would not help at all.

They know their stuff

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Sorry for your loss, Kiroy Kiroy . Been some 15 years since I lost my cats, diabetes and cancer. I don't think I could stomach caring for and treating animals with insulin, operations and chemo back then, nor now. I don't think think I ever will. They were family. But pets nonetheless.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Sorry for your loss, Kiroy Kiroy . Been some 15 years since I lost my cats, diabetes and cancer. I don't think I could stomach caring for and treating animals with insulin, operations and chemo back then, nor now. I don't think think I ever will. They were family. But pets nonetheless.

We bought a ranch so all future dogs will be outdoor workers that don't become as much part of the family. We have one more family dog to make it through though.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We bought a ranch so all future dogs will be outdoor workers that don't become as much part of the family. We have one more family dog to make it through though.
holy shit from best friend to slave driver, talk about 180!

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I'm probably in the minority, but last year I put my own dog down when she was too old, sick , and in pain. I did not see the point of trying to drag things out with vets just so she could linger a bit longer and I felt I did better by my dog doing it myself than taking her to a office for strangers to do it. Plus the practical side of me thought it was ridiculous to pay 120+ dollars for something that could be done instantly/humanly with a bullet at home. No dogs currently after having 5 dogs for most of the last 20 years. All five died in the last 3 years. One to snake bite, one to sudden collapse (so who knows, heart attack or anerisum? He passed in less than a minute), two to old age died on their own at home, and the one I am talking about in this post, old age w/ suffering that euthanized. I'm sure one day I'll get another dog, just not ready yet and have plenty of other animals. Nothing beats a dog though, those guys were made by us for us. Miss all my dogs.

Faize4986

Molten Core Raider
pick him up saturday, dogless since feb 18th, cant wait
archer2.jpg

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'm probably in the minority, but last year I put my own dog down when she was too old, sick , and in pain. I did not see the point of trying to drag things out with vets just so she could linger a bit longer and I felt I did better by my dog doing it myself than taking her to a office for strangers to do it. Plus the practical side of me thought it was ridiculous to pay 120+ dollars for something that could be done instantly/humanly with a bullet at home. No dogs currently after having 5 dogs for most of the last 20 years. All five died in the last 3 years. One to snake bite, one to sudden collapse (so who knows, heart attack or anerisum? He passed in less than a minute), two to old age died on their own at home, and the one I am talking about in this post, old age w/ suffering that euthanized. I'm sure one day I'll get another dog, just not ready yet and have plenty of other animals. Nothing beats a dog though, those guys were made by us for us. Miss all my dogs.

That's fucking rough dude, no way I would have been able to put a bullet in the head of my own dog. Some livestock specimen? Sure. But my dog? Ugh.. I mean I'm not judging you at all, a painless death is a painless death, but you must have nerves of fucking steel.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Got a new cowdog prospect this weekend. My older dog thinks she's extremely annoying so far but I'm sure he will come around.

38470886_431827717309234_6086503287371071488_n.jpg

• 3Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

I'm not sure if that's what you're saying, but IMO people who say that a working dog can't also be a pet don't know what they're talking about. I have a neighbor that won't let anyone pet their working dogs because he thinks that it will spoil them but the big border collie in the above picture is a very good counter example. He loves everyone, wants big hugs from every human he gets close to, plays fetch with children until the kids get tired of it, and when you get to the cows, he's all business all day long. I don't think the two things have anything to do with each other.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure if that's what you're saying, but IMO people who say that a working dog can't also be a pet don't know what they're talking about. I have a neighbor that won't let anyone pet their working dogs because he thinks that it will spoil them but the big border collie in the above picture is a very good counter example. He loves everyone, wants big hugs from every human he gets close to, plays fetch with children until the kids get tired of it, and when you get to the cows, he's all business all day long. I don't think the two things have anything to do with each other.

it won't be like that (no petting), but the connection will definitely be different. They'll still be a loved pet but it will be different. We went full retard with our first two dogs, both got their run of the couches, the 30 pounder that's still with us sleeps in bed with us. Full fucking retard.

Or maybe i'm just trying to convince myself I won't love future dogs as much cause it's not even a week since we just put our buddy down.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
If you're the sort of person that loves your pets, you're just going to love your pets. If they are helpers at work/home or not. The dog will still be looking at you to lead them and feed them, and as such you will also love them. But yeah, train them better from the start so they don't whine for scraps or fart on the couch. Live and learn. Or don't. My mom spoiled her second dog even worse than the first one. Sweet dog, though.