Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Caliane

It's even more confusing cause the lead guy in path of exile is also named Chris (Wilson) and is generally considered a pretty cool guy by the community.

I think I'll just call it Eternity.
yeah, thats exactly what caused a short circuit in my head.
saw, PoE and Chris, and thought, why did he get Chris Wilson to sign his Pillars tee? ... ohhhh, Avellone. yes that makes more sense.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
yeah, thats exactly what caused a short circuit in my head.
saw, PoE and Chris, and thought, why did he get Chris Wilson to sign his Pillars tee? ... ohhhh, Avellone. yes that makes more sense.
Is there any word about the ability to mod/create content in Pillars? I didn't see anything in their FAQ, so I assume you won't be able to craft homebrew stuff- wondering if anyone has heard otherwise. Looks like you will be able to in the new Swordcoast game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there any word about the ability to mod/create content in Pillars? I didn't see anything in their FAQ, so I assume you won't be able to craft homebrew stuff- wondering if anyone has heard otherwise. Looks like you will be able to in the new Swordcoast game.
I think you'll be able to mod stuff but it's not like officially supported with modding tools and what not, shit takes a lot of time to make apparently and they decided to not bother. If the game sells well, as they'll start working on another, they might also dedicate a few people to make some modding tools, but there's no guarantee.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Is there any word about the ability to mod/create content in Pillars?
http://www.gamewatcher.com/interview...nterview/12162

GameWatcher: How friendly will Pillars of Eternity be for modders? Are you supportive of community created content?
Josh Sawyer:It?s awesome. It?s kind of hard because we?re using Unity as our engine, which means there are certain things we can?t give the modders access to, but we know there are already backer beta players on our forums making mods. They?re making UI mods, graphical mods, they clearly hate the things I?ve designed? Which is great, you know, if they want to change balance or flip around the UI screen, why would we have any problem with that? As long as we can support it, which is not always easy on a Kickstarter budget and a middleware engine, we will. It was great on Fallout: New Vegas to see what everyone came up with, and I?m hopeful that not only will people make some great mods for Pillars, we?ll also be able to open up the game more for modding down the line. It is a singleplayer game after all ? whatever experience people want to have, that?s fine by me.
From what little I've seen it seems that simple stuff can be modded but it doesn't sound like you're going to see a lot of big game changing mods.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, looks like it's minority moddable but no toolset like NWN. Boo. Oh well.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I hope they make the environments a little more lively. The gameplay footage I've seen hasn't been very impressive.
Well they're 2D environments and they're not animated for the most part, so that's that. Unless you mean adding details and stuff. Overall it's not gonna be the prettiest game though, which really doesn't matter much, main point is going to be story, dialogues and combat.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I made the mistake of watching some lets play videos, I want this game fucking yesterday. Really dig the per encounter skills instead of per day, I regret not backing it because I would get to mess with the character creator now instead of spending 4 hours on launch
smile.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I made the mistake of watching some lets play videos, I want this game fucking yesterday. Really dig the per encounter skills instead of per day, I regret not backing it because I would get to mess with the character creator now instead of spending 4 hours on launch
smile.png
There are per day spells too iirc, just also a bunch of per encounter so you don't have to rest after every fight. In fact you can't rest after every fight cause you have limited camping supplies to rest with, unless obviously you rest in a specific area for it.

I backed it, but not enough for early access since I figured I wouldn't want to play EA for this type of game, and I don't. I guess I could have worked out my character better, but just watching at a few videos and stuff I roughly know what I'm gonna be doing, chanter(not sure yet if melee or ranged), along with soldier companion, paladin companion, ranged cipher companion, druid companion and probably mage companion for last spot, or priest not sure yet, depends on the druid companion focus and the personalities of those 2. It's not an optimal setup, but the optimal setup would require no actual companion and just hand crafted group, plus you'd cut a bunch of classes out of these. Apparently, as kinda expected, class balance is pretty bad and it's terrible if you try to min max your party.

Putting this in spoiler tag in case you don't want to read about class balance before playing the game and shit, but
Rangers are absolute garbage and Mages are fairly bad besides some crowd control, melees in general aren't very good unless you make them all very tanky and the optimal setup seems to be 1-2 tanks and rest ranged with high damage for initial burst, Druids are OP as shit.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I know Chanters are ranged and use guns if that is what you were asking, if you were just undecided then never mind. Sucks about the balance but I plan to craft the full party to have a skill/stealth monkey, diplomacy guru and then whatever else looks relevant outside of combat. I assume class balance will be continuously tuned.

Not sure what my main will be yet but likely the diplomant as well so either Rogue or Paladin, maybe Chanter as they sound pretty cool. Will have the staple priest of course, toss up between monk and barbarian at this point, Fighter with sword and board for tank, not sure on the rest depends on my main.

What is the difference between companions and hand crafted group?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hmm no chanters use whatever, in fact every class does, there's no class restriction on gear, you can be a plate dual wield sword mage if you want. What I meant is I'm unsure if I'll go melee or ranged, with the ranged option probably being stupid gun stuff so that doesn't sound very appealing(bard with a gun is like, well, yeah), while melee would be 2H weapon but I don't know if I want to be in melee range.

And difference between companions and the ones you make is companions have storylines, quests, personalities, voice overs and such. However, they can't really be customized and I assume they start with specific stats too, which pigeonhold them into certain roles(for example if the druid companion ends up having no might, he'll do shit for damage/heals and will be like a support character). On the other hand obviously if you make your own chars, you'll tailor them specifically to your needs and min max everything(or not, that's up to you), but regardless they won't have a personality, they'll just be randomNPC#1-5. That's why for first playthrough I want to fit at least 5 written companions to see interaction between them and follow their story and shit like that. Maybe halfway I'll end up hating one and see if you can just swap him for a standard guy instead, not sure how that works level wise.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
No class restriction on gear usually means if your wizard wears full plate he either cast unreliable or really slow.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
No class restriction on gear usually means if your wizard wears full plate he either cast unreliable or really slow.
Yes but was just an example, armors comes with penalties but not weapons and every class can use every weapons, you're not limited to guns on chanters, can use bows or dual wield sword or a shield+mace or whatever.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yes but was just an example, armors comes with penalties but not weapons and every class can use every weapons, you're not limited to guns on chanters, can use bows or dual wield sword or a shield+mace or whatever.
NOICE! Spear(reach weapon) wizard here I come.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
When's release again?
It's in the OP since I quickly updated it the other day, march 26th. Tbh I won't play this for like 2weeks or whatever, gonna do Bloodborne first, give it time to get maybe some gamebreaking bug fix patch in and the IEmod thing updated. Which btw for people who haven't been following, it looks like an awesome mod, main feature is it lets you move UI elements around(so you can swap chat position and shit) but also tweak some of the rules, for example remove engagement and shit, looks really nice.

Stuff is atIE Mod for Pillars of Eternityif you want a quick look at it, it's apparently being updated to every beta build so I'll assume it'll be updated for release fairly quickly.