Pit bulls - The Breed of Peace

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I had a pit and I loved him. Not able to have a dog (while renting) our home in Hawaii. Once we finally buy one, I'm definitely getting another dog, but not a pit this time around. Not for any aggressive reason. Just because the shorter snout makes them miserable in any warmth.

I'm probably going this route.

pharaoh-hound-is-looking-at-the-camera-purebred-dog-pet-animals-W963GG.jpg

It's called a Pharaoh Hound. Ugly, but the huge (non-floppy) ears, lean body and long snout make them awesome in the warmth. Plus, great for a family that doesn't want an ankle biter. The tallest they get is around 2ft. And the heaviest they'll reach is only 60 lbs. But that would be an exceptionally large one.

Honestly, they look a lot like a deer.
You have terrible taste in dogs.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I had a pit and I loved him. Not able to have a dog (while renting) our home in Hawaii. Once we finally buy one, I'm definitely getting another dog, but not a pit this time around. Not for any aggressive reason. Just because the shorter snout makes them miserable in any warmth.

It's called a Pharaoh Hound. Ugly, but the huge (non-floppy) ears, lean body and long snout make them awesome in the warmth. Plus, great for a family that doesn't want an ankle biter. The tallest they get is around 2ft. And the heaviest they'll reach is only 60 lbs. But that would be an exceptionally large one.

You want a fucking harry potter house elf as a pet? Wtf?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

I like furry northern breeds, I've own two chow + doggies. Latest is a Chow+Schipperke. Looks like this:
20200424_154046.jpg

Other people like little terriers. Other people like short hairs. That looks like a fine animal to me, I say go for it.

Question: if you get a male dog neutered, should you refer to your companion as "transitioning"? Asking for a friend. My dog is already a bitch.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My pit was a boy, and there are organizations that do free chipping and neutering (and spaying) for Pits. They'd even give artificial nuts so they "look" intact if you requested it. It's silly.

But yeah, if I had a female, she'd definitely get spayed. I don't want any dog spotting. Fuck that noise.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Huh. I had no idea. I've certainly never encountered one out here, nor have I seen any incidents of cars striking a deer. I guess I've had good luck.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Dogs with a shorter snout (pitbulls) do worse in warm weather than dogs with a longer snout. *shrugs* It has something to do with how the air circulates in the sinuses that somehow cools the body better. I also know from having Baku for 7 years, he was happy laying around in the warmth, but would never want to take a walk on a hot day.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Oh you said shorter snout. I thought you said shorter coat. But the shorter snout still sounds wrong. Longer snouts would also warm air up better before getting to their lungs. So basically longer snouts are better all around.
No short nosed breeds have serious problems with hot weather. When you breathe the air is cooled because it evaporates the saliva and other fluids along your respiratory track.

Short nose dogs have shorter respiratory tracks so the air doesn't cool down as much before it reaches their lungs. Pugs, bulldogs etc are notorious for being easily heat stressed because of this. You can very easily kill a bulldog because theirs is so fucked up in hot weather.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Maul

Dental Dammer
No short nosed breeds have serious problems with hot weather. When you breathe the air is cooled because it evaporates the saliva and other fluids along your respiratory track.

Short nose dogs have shorter respiratory tracks so the air doesn't cool down as much before it reaches their lungs. Pugs, bulldogs etc are notorious for being easily heat stressed because of this. You can very easily kill a bulldog because theirs is so fucked up in hot weather.
Rest in peace sweet prince.

tumblr_p0ypi8nCkm1waf7fpo1_1280.jpg

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Guys,

Pretty sure you've got the nose explanation wrong. Dogs only have sweat glands on their feet and so they also use panting to help cool themselves. It works like perspiration- the evaporation of fluids carries away latent heat. Dogs with smashed faces have trouble with airflow and therefore cooling. They also have a smaller surface area.

When a dog is hot, they breath through their mouth so the effect of the pathway through the nose would be minimal. Either way, the fact that the surface area is warming the air does not have a net increase in internal body temperature- it results in cooling due to the evaporation.

I am not a vet and I don't play one on TV.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Lots of fucking stupid in these here thread
There are no bad breeds, only bad owners.

• 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 1 user