Pit bulls - The Breed of Peace

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Meh. I have a rescue pit mix; she's the gentlest animal I've ever met. On the other side, my sister's lab/dachshund mix has bitten everyone in my family. I'd say that chart Tuco posted rings true. Pits might have more dog-focused aggression but are middle of the pack when it comes to people. They feature high in the count of serious damage to people due to prevalence and size. A badly-trained purse dog can't eat your face even if it wanted to.

Machine of death:

View attachment 285683
Anecdotes are cool, how about actual statistics?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Meh. I have a rescue pit mix; she's the gentlest animal I've ever met. On the other side, my sister's lab/dachshund mix has bitten everyone in my family. I'd say that chart Tuco posted rings true. Pits might have more dog-focused aggression but are middle of the pack when it comes to people. They feature high in the count of serious damage to people due to prevalence and size. A badly-trained purse dog can't eat your face even if it wanted to.

Machine of death:

View attachment 285683
That look says, "Anytime I want to, I can kill you and the rest of this family and there is nothing you could do to stop me."

Cute dog though!

(Note, this is a switcheroo joke I couldn't quite get the right verbage on. Please laugh.)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Relevant stat is left panel, #25.

Pitbulls are 13% of dogs, 50% of the shelter population. Of course an interview with their mothers says they dindu nothing.

It's probably just a fluke that they are responsible for like 70% of dog fatalities.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Sorry, I forgot we'd all voted to have Tuco be the final arbiter of acceptable information.
I mean multiple people pointed out the flaws and even some posted other peer reviewed papers that contradict the conclusions of that particular study, but you do you man.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I mean multiple people pointed out the flaws and even some posted other peer reviewed papers that contradict the conclusions of that particular study, but you do you man.

What the fuck? The mods must have moved all of those posts because they are no longer in this thread. Even if you stretch and call lanx a person. I demand you Unfuck the mod fuckery and bring those posts back.

• 1Worf

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Never mind that pitbulls are specifically bred to have a dangerous bite and be fighters, which is why they account for the vast majority of human deaths to canines.

Bred to fight dogs. Do you really think the handlers would breed the dogs to bite the handlers? Are you really that fucking stupid? Oh shit, I just realized who I'm responding to. Since in your mind there's no difference between dogs and people, you assume dogs can't tell either.

Oh look at that, literally every fatal dog attack this year with a reported breed is coming from a pit bull or a close relative.

That's because 'pit bull' is a buzz word and nearly every dog that attacks gets called a pit bull. Who determined that all these dogs were pit bulls? Was it the AKC? Cops sure as fuck don't know. I have a runt black lab that a cop called a pit bull. Don't worry, it wasn't a fedboi so the dog wasn't shot. He told me "I decided not to go in the back yard because your pit bull was barking at me".

Remember in the early days of this thread where people posted stories of pit bull attacks with pics of the dogs and we laughed at how it was never a pit bull? Of course you don't cause you're a newfag. Go back and read the first few pages.

• 1Worf

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Wife’s family has 2 boerboels, great dogs and smart as whips

Can you pm me a breeder recommendation or something?

Facebook is a damn nightmare to navigate. It's just puppy factories / mild which is depressing

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I love my pits, I couldn't ask for better dogs honestly...but I do get annoyed at the restrictions I have to follow because of them. Once they move along from this life I'll try to convince the wife to get another large breed instead hopefully.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Man I should have specified they actually live in South Africa. From what I understand they’re almost impossible to get outside SA and the majority you find are like you said, puppy mill type situation.
Can you pm me a breeder recommendation or something?

Facebook is a damn nightmare to navigate. It's just puppy factories / mild which is depressing

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Man I should have specified they actually live in South Africa. From what I understand they’re almost impossible to get outside SA and the majority you find are like you said, puppy mill type situation.

I'd be willing to fly the dog to me. Lol

Esp if the genetics are good etc.

Vinen

God is dead
I love my pits, I couldn't ask for better dogs honestly...but I do get annoyed at the restrictions I have to follow because of them. Once they move along from this life I'll try to convince the wife to get another large breed instead hopefully.

Just a warning. A lot of these breed restrictions apply to other large breeds as well. A large portion is risk based. If a pitbull / mastiff / etc goes off its going to do a helluva lot more damage then a pissed off Chihuahua (Their default state).

Man, I had a neighbor that had (from what I could tell) a full on, ancient breed gigantic mastiff. His head was uncomfortably close to the size of my torso. Nieghbor was BAD OWNER -- he never let his dogs inside, and basically just fed them and kept them as guards. I made slow peace with Zeus (his name). Across, the fence, of course.

Give me a year with Zeus, and I'd have him slobbering all over the house, friendly as a pup. I'd first of all train him to not jump up on people. Beast must have been close to 200 if not over.

I'd turn Zeus into a sweetheart. Unless you made a dicey move at me.

It's all about owners. Good owner + time = good dog. Unless there is just something wrong with the dog -- not every dog is wired right, and you gotta let those go. It's best for all involved.

I went on line to find a pic of what I remember Zeus looked like. No idea who this person is, but this was about his size. Mastiffs make me laugh, they are such absurdly big dogs. If I had the property......
4850e99eb15b17e965b785b873f40eeb.jpg

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
What's the life span on that mastiff pit bull? About 5 years?