Pixar's Inside Out

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
what slump? their last movie was Monsters University and that kicked ass. brought in a fuckload of cash too. Brave was 2012 and it wasnt awesome, but it wasnt bad. cars 2 was ass, but somebody liked it because it made 550m. toy story 3 was awesome as well
I was speaking review-wise. Up until Cars 2, every Pixar film got over 92% (96% if you disclude A Bug's Life). Their last three films have scored below 80% with Cars 2 at 39%. They've also been the three worst rated films on Metacritic, all below 70%. The fact that Inside Out's reviews are more similar to what Up and The Incredibles got makes me hopeful that this will be just as good.

Also, while I enjoyed it, Monsters University really wasn't anything special. It was just a retread of every other sports underdog movie. Pixar movies usually have a much more creative and unique story.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i disagree, the monsters in MU were creative as hell. the movie was a prequel so it has all the same problems a prequel has. there is not much tension for the star characters because we know where they end up. but his frat buddies are all new and the one dude with teeth and the long legs was fucking trippy. there was tension there and of course with their school experiences. also the scene at the end with the girl scout cabin and the park rangers was just crazy. i absolutely loved MU. i think i have seen it 4 or 5 times already. if i see it on tv again i likely will watch it. Brave , i saw in the theater and then once on cable and that was enough, its not a bad movie as i said but, it feels like a ripoff to How to Train Your Dragon.

speaking of ripoffs, i just finished watching Planes: Fire And Rescue. that movie was really fun. it was easily better than the cars movies. Lasseter was exec producer on it, so maybe thats why it was so good.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Up hit me in the *Feels* but ill watch TS, incredibles, ratatouille, Wall-e ect if I had to pick

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I took my 3 year old daughter to see this today. I cried like a little bitch MANY times throughout this movie, just because of the memories. It's not even a sad movie, I was just like "I remember that... WAHHH!" Pathetic.

I enjoyed the movie, though, so that's good.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Up hit me in the *Feels* but ill watch TS, incredibles, ratatouille, Wall-e ect if I had to pick
Up had one of the strongest emotional starts to any animation I have seen. It was almost a shock to me as I think of animations to be more on a light and funny side then what that started with. It was a great movie.

Juvarisx

Florida
This movie is right up there with Toy Story 3, WALL-E and Up. Loved it as did my wife and 6yr old niece. Hits you right in the feels often.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This movie is right up there with Toy Story 3, WALL-E and Up. Loved it as did my wife and 6yr old niece. Hits you right in the feels often.
this, its easily up there with Wall-E and possibly Up!.
holy shit bingbong got me right in the feels.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's good to hear. Probably take nephews and neices to see it. Was worried it was more of a young girls movie.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's good to hear. Probably take nephews and neices to see it. Was worried it was more of a young girls movie.
its a young girls movie like captain america was a film about world war 2. the trailers and that clip from the movie are really shit representations of this film. its a movie about a little girl and so much more.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I guess I need to go watch WALL-E again... I don't remember having any feels with that movie. Up and Toy Story 3 on the other hand...

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I liked this movie a lot, but it wasn't Up! or Wall-E level of emotion for me. It wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I didn't quite connect with it as much as I did the other ones. I don't know exactly why (her being a girl has no bearing on the movie really), and I really wish that it had, but something just didn't quite click for me. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood or something.

Great movie still, just ranked lower than many of those other ones for whatever reason, at least for me.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Do you have a child? If so, is it a daughter?

If you answered no to either of these questions, the movie probably won't hit you the same as it did for me.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Do you have a child? If so, is it a daughter?

If you answered no to either of these questions, the movie probably won't hit you the same as it did for me.
No to both. Maybe it makes a difference, I obviously can't judge objectively, but I didn't feel like that was it. I could be wrong though, I often am.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
no kids here. i got it, that shouldnt be a problem as the movie doesnt require you to be a parent. all you need is an imagination and experienced childhood.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
What's different is going through the experiences they're recreating via 3rd person. I really related to a lot of this movie. There were lots of subtle little things that you saw that I experiences first hand by having a daughter of my own and it really hit the feels. I loved the movie for that reason. I can absolutely put myself in my "before kids" mentality and seeing myself not care at all about the same things the way I care about them now. It's odd how much you change as a person when you become a parent.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have a daughter who turned 11 earlier this month. This movie pretty much hit a sweet spot. I can't even give an unbiased opinion because it was so relatable to us.

Example -
the look in her eyes when I turned to her and asked how she'd feel if we moved across the country.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have been discussing this with a few people, and I think maybe part of it is that my expectations were different than what I actually got. From the trailer I expected more of the mom and dad's inner voices, and other people's, but we maybe got 5 minutes total. I realize the movie wasn't supposed to be all just humor, but in that regard the credits scenes that showed different people's insides was the funniest part of the movie (in particular the cat).

I guess I was just expecting it to be a constant jump from viewpoint to viewpoint, instead of almost entirely the young girl. Not saying it would have been a better movie that way, just what I expected. And again, I liked the movie a lot, just not as much as those previously listed.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Lasseter was exec producer on it, so maybe thats why it was so good.
Films done after he moved across to run Disney animation:

Pixar - Cars 2, Brave, Monsters U.

Disney: Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen.

Goes back to Pixar to kick them up the arse, and this film gets released. There's a definite pattern there.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Disney had Bolt before and Big Hero 6 after. Brave and Monsters U were decent but not really a wide targeted audience for them.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah, people keep looking for patterns or slumps. brave was fine and MU was awesome. just because cars2 was ass doesnt mean everything around it was. i saw a review the other day of somebody calling monster's inc a bad movie and used that proclamation to say that MU was much worse thus its part of a slump. if i had to say anything negative about them it would be them going to the well for sequels instead of original films. but they always overlook that one of Pixar's best films Toy Story 2 was a sequel and that was made 15 years ago so cars2 MU, TS3 (and later to be TS4 Nemo2 and Incredibles 2) is not proof that they have run out of ideas and are on the decline.