PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Molten Core Raider
It's $2.50 for a key for a crate with ONE item in it for 1 out of 5 (at least) outfits. With dupes a possibility. Unless you get lucky it'll probably cost $30+ to get a specific outfit.

Edit: Less than $30 if it's only shirt / pants obviously, I was thinking 4 pieces but a lot of those don't have headgear and shoes are whatever

Ouch. Article I read wasnt that specific. Well, Im in for $10 or so, we'll see how bad it goes...

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea they've been on a roll the past 1-2 weeks with outraging a lot of the community. A lot of their "statements" are from the fucking Discord channel so go under the radar but they do NOT look to have a good head about them at the moment. From banning the guy that defending himself from a TKer to saying "if you don't want to be griefed, turn off team fill" to now adding in paid cosmetics during EA contrary to their official FAQ with no particular explanation AND stating that after release there'll "probably" be no more free cosmetics.

I like the game a lot but this is exactly the same downward spiral of leadership that has fucked over a ton of games in the past. Even if it's "just cosmetics" and "just reddit outrage" that can have a significant effect on the population of a game immediately and going forward.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
I've already paid for the game, not putting real money towards cosmetic crap. Even with all the clothes in the game already my guy is shirtless with pants, shoes, and shades.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
As long as its for cosmetic only, who cares. The moment it becomes more than cosmetic, then the pitch forks need to come out.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The main reason I care is because it's inherently anti-consumer. In this case, consumers = players, and that matters. It's an example of a mindset that is not going to be good for the longer term health of the game. They're taking essentially the least player-friendly of pay-for-cosmetics in popular games right now and using that as their baseline and actually making it worse. And, on top of that, with poor communication, when up until the last week communication HAD been a strong point.

I don't care that much about cosmetics (even if I do like customization) but it's the tone and outlook that is worrying to me. H1Z1 and Ark are shadows of what they could have been and should have been because of greed basically, PUBG is suddenly veering onto that path. Obviously no way to know but if you want to emulate games with money-making cosmetics there's a lot of better options to choose from than a worse version of CS:GO.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Remember when everyone was outraged by horse armor? Pepridge Farm remembers.

These days everyone just accepts garbage cosmetic DLC in their already paid for games and only whinges about to what degree the DLC model rapes your wallet. It's all a fucking disgrace and I just can't be part of it anymore.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I think you're failing to realize somethings like, completely optional and that this, at its current moment, is to support the tournament that will be happening in Dota2 style, in which they actually crowd sourced some odd million dollars to make the first million dollar prize pool for any sort of esport event.

Skins saved Csgo, sure with the aid of gambling, but gambling is good as dead and items are still worth in the thousands. It's all just going to be a portions of the game that suits other people like those who hustle the auction house. Imo, if you really wanted to make some money.. You'd buy the crates or obtain them. Hold onto them for a little, and supply demand kicks in. You're looking at a free 30-40$ if not higher because the skins actually look -cool-. Shit the twitch prime cases are now 30$, and those skins are trash. A 2.50 optional cosmetic pack should be no worry, even if it's slots with possibility of dupes and shit-tier. In the end you might get an item worth 200$ or 5cents. It beats the hell out of some games asking for 25$ flat for one skin.

Also, protip I learned yesterday. Feel bad? Can't shoot? Can't win? Go hit up Asian servers. Not only is it fun to talk shit. Got almost 8 chicken dinners in a row.

• 1Worf

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Except CS:GO is actually a free to play game. The only reason they keep a sticker price around at all is to keep the flood gates closed vs the cheater armies.

And the reason you do well on Asia or EU servers is because you have no established MMR for matchmaking there and you're dumped in at the base level again until it normalizes you.

spronk

FPS noob
oh shit i had no idea the company behind tera made this, thats pretty awesome considering how much i really loved tera at launch

and yeah those outfits are sexy as fuuuuuuck, i may have to reroll to female

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think you're failing to realize somethings like, completely optional and that this, at its current moment, is to support the tournament that will be happening in Dota2 style, in which they actually crowd sourced some odd million dollars to make the first million dollar prize pool for any sort of esport event.

Skins saved Csgo, sure with the aid of gambling, but gambling is good as dead and items are still worth in the thousands. It's all just going to be a portions of the game that suits other people like those who hustle the auction house. Imo, if you really wanted to make some money.. You'd buy the crates or obtain them. Hold onto them for a little, and supply demand kicks in. You're looking at a free 30-40$ if not higher because the skins actually look -cool-. Shit the twitch prime cases are now 30$, and those skins are trash. A 2.50 optional cosmetic pack should be no worry, even if it's slots with possibility of dupes and shit-tier. In the end you might get an item worth 200$ or 5cents. It beats the hell out of some games asking for 25$ flat for one skin

Right, I don't have an issue with crowdfunding events (even though this particular event isn't even pocket change with the number of sales they've had), I have issue with the mentality they're giving off with their communication and decisions. Also, these crates are again, significantly worse than CS:GO. No dupe control, likely no real resale value (much like most CS:GO items), one random piece of one random outfit for $2.50 key plus getting the crate in the first place. At least horse armor was the whole outfit. If you want a specific outfit (so, equivalent to a skin) you're looking at $10-$30+ based on RNG. And this is with crates with extremely limited pools which is unlikely to be the case when the real system comes in later. Tons of games have better versions of this system and are doing incredibly well financially with it, this is just the least player-friendly and again, that's a very bad sign.

You cannot have a long-term quality multiplayer game without players to play it. Alienating players by suddenly acting a tier below outright villain status is not good for the game no matter the optionality of cosmetics or not.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Is getting a chance at a cool jacket 2.50$ really alienating people? in the essence of jealousy? envy? I played CSGO for some 3 years, and could give two fucks about if I had a cool knife, or gun skin. Even in Overwatch, I have all these skins but use default for more than half of them, I just open my boxes because of the giant number in my playscreen that annoys me. It is was funny watching children freak out like it was a nintendo 64 on christmas over a doppler with .xxxxx float, but I know if I had a 300$ knife.. i'd be getting the profit. I know there isn't much cosmetics in pubg, but I mean, I am almost certain the only game that has really addressed dupe control has been Overwatch/Hots, most games that have any sort of RNG system uses the dupe as a way to only give you a quarter or less of the profits. A friend of mine who has been eating the cosmetic system for pubg already has 4 white combat pants, and hes only been playing for a week. I've just letting my points build, for what reason? idk.

I guess I just have a hard time seeing where these cosmetic items will disturb the peace of the game. Sure, playerunknown might be a choooch, I have no idea. People will either buy into the hype, or not even notice it and keep playing it. I can't be upset over a little fanservice. It's like a fresh pair of Yeezy's, 1000$ shoes that you could get the same comfort in 60$. Maybe if it was pay 5$ and start off with a pistol when you dive out the plane, but if you pay 60$ founders pack, you can get an AWM at start.. sure.. yeah definitely see a problem there. I honestly wouldn't even have the game, because H1z1 rubbed me the wrong way, but my friend sold a Playersunknown Trenchcoat for 300$ and bought me a copy.

I can't say you're wrong that it could be a bad omen of some sort, but honestly don't see this stirring any sort of shit that really has any dire effects other than "You don't support x, so i'm gonna shop at k-mart" routine, which in total is probably less than 5% of the population.

CSGO f2p, I haven't heard that. I see your point, the real investment is the upwards to 1000 dollars in skin, and opening a case that is worth 30$ out of the gate to only get a .05c skin.

Also, didn't realize this game had MMR, makes asian servers make so much sense. Europeans must be just bred out the door to be good at the game.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Man, people are losing their shit over the micro-transactions on Reddit. I wonder if they will reverse course.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is getting a chance at a cool jacket 2.50$ really alienating people? in the essence of jealousy? envy? I played CSGO for some 3 years, and could give two fucks about if I had a cool knife, or gun skin. Even in Overwatch, I have all these skins but use default for more than half of them, I just open my boxes because of the giant number in my playscreen that annoys me. It is was funny watching children freak out like it was a nintendo 64 on christmas over a doppler with .xxxxx float, but I know if I had a 300$ knife.. i'd be getting the profit. I know there isn't much cosmetics in pubg, but I mean, I am almost certain the only game that has really addressed dupe control has been Overwatch/Hots, most games that have any sort of RNG system uses the dupe as a way to only give you a quarter or less of the profits. A friend of mine who has been eating the cosmetic system for pubg already has 4 white combat pants, and hes only been playing for a week. I've just letting my points build, for what reason? idk.

I guess I just have a hard time seeing where these cosmetic items will disturb the peace of the game. Sure, playerunknown might be a choooch, I have no idea. People will either buy into the hype, or not even notice it and keep playing it. I can't be upset over a little fanservice. It's like a fresh pair of Yeezy's, 1000$ shoes that you could get the same comfort in 60$. Maybe if it was pay 5$ and start off with a pistol when you dive out the plane, but if you pay 60$ founders pack, you can get an AWM at start.. sure.. yeah definitely see a problem there. I honestly wouldn't even have the game, because H1z1 rubbed me the wrong way, but my friend sold a Playersunknown Trenchcoat for 300$ and bought me a copy.

I don't know that you're an exception but definitely sound like a minority in this (so are the vocal outrages against all this drama, so far), most people tend to get all excited about loot boxes and shit, especially free stuff. It's not the cosmetics themselves that are at issue. It's a matter of degrees - not many would give a shit if there were cosmetics you could get only by paying, especially after release, but PU is going against what they outlined (that outline being something which people liked) with very little talk about WHY they are doing it, and then the offhand comment about "oh btw no more free stuff on release" in an IM chatroom. And this is on top of negative press relating to the communication and handling of the TK drama and the community feedback has been either ignored or dismissed as "wrong". Neither of those attitudes are those of winning companies.

I don't care what PU is like in his personal life. I truly do not. But this is a game that has sold FIVE MILLION COPIES largely based on community and player word-of-mouth, content creation, and hype, and suddenly he and his team are treating their fans and players like unwashed masses all of the sudden and adopting the most anti-consumer version of microtransactions that are still legal. It's a big about-face and super off putting.

Edit: Something I forgot about is the 2 "free" new themed crates still have other cosmetics in them (old or new is unknown at this point) making even the free sets hard to come by. It seems likely that the paid crate will also have cosmetics beyond the 5 sets based on the wording but that's just guesswork. You do still have to "buy" the crates with BP so even if you pay $2.50 for a key you're gated on points.

Last edited:

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, partly why i'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying. I don't pay attention to rhetoric that isn't either a patch update, or whats coming to the game. I've learned my lesson on listening to what they want before the game is out, and then when the game is out. Until they literally push something that breaks the core mechanics of the game, which doesn't seem so yet, i'm the least bit offended or off put. I'm still having fun, and it has a foresee-able fun in the future.

I can't hate the hustle, as i've watched my friends nickle and dime people regularly growing up. I can also understand to -some- degree, when you float something, then realize that what you've said doesn't work or don't like. I can't recall the specifics, and maybe its wrong of PU to be like, but the publicity has him too, the fans/consumers/players are just as shitty as they are good. I don't feel like this is an immediate cash grab, not yet, but like I said, omens.

I don't know the full details, i'm mostly just hyped because i'm a massive fan of BR, book/movie/manga. But from what my friend said, not sure where read nor care to ask for source, we are getting free shit ontop of it all? Supposedly the Kawada box? or something and the purple? idk regardless, participating or not, causes no effect. It's just an opt to be hyped in buying or selling, or just not caring at all. I've just grown use to the internet picketing at so many different turns that, I honestly don't know what is actually a cause to care, or to just think its stupid. But everyone deserves their opinion.

I mean, honestly, did you expect PU to not be some basement dwelling autist?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It seems like maybe they don't realize how quickly a fad game like this can end when people move on. I don't think it's going to take much for a mass exodus. Like has been said, the game was almost entirely built on word of mouth and streamers. That's a fickle group.

The other possibility is that they do realize it and are trying to milk it for what they can while they still have a playerbase.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's 2 "free" crates you can buy with your BP, each one has a chance of having a piece of one of those 2 outfits (the purple one and I forget which other) or some other cosmetic item (unclear if new or old, again their communication is fucking awful about all this). This apparently will be the exception since there won't be free stuff anymore going forward, at least cosmetics. They say ONLY cosmetics will ever cost anything but they also said cosmetics wouldn't cost anything until after it left EA, and also if you get griefed it's partially your fault, sooooo... can't say I trust that anymore.

I don't care if he is a basement dweller or a McMansion owner, I just want more of the mentality and communication that kicked off the game and less of this "by the way fuck you guys for playing my game" thing that has cropped up.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, it's respectable want. I just find it hard to believe any other company will amount to the care and engagement that something like Kaplan and Blizzard has. Im just particularly use to companies being pretty shitty, so I'm not surprised. CSGO devs being amongst the worst, if not rivaled by Riot. I don't know what's worse, not knowing what's going on or questioning every bit of reasoning they have.

I also have a hard time seeing this as a fading fad. It might not have the sheer numbers it had day one to year 2.. But I think this game will end up being the pinnacle of the survival genre, much like league to moba. No game will quite meet its success, others will try.. Some came before it.. But it'll be the strongest of the list. It's ball parking pretty much all the wants, it seems. I never cared for the genre, and I have friends who don't either.. But are loving the intensity it brings.

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Breaking news. Developers of an early access game nickle and dime their customers and never finish the game. More news at 11.

I got my fun out of the game so if does go to shit I won't be too upset about it. The next 'best' one will pop up soon enough, this type of game is pretty easy to develop and there's a huge fanbase for it. The genre just needs a good developer willing to actually put out a polished finished product.

I never played CSGO but can't you get all the skins randomly or is it purely from loot boxes that require real money keys to open?

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Full on PvP games must have a long term monitization plan. The server back end to provide matchmaking and performance is not free, and the cost is indefinite as long as the game is popular. Let the whale's of the world spend thousands on purely cosmetic items that don't affect play. Single player title is a bit different. But the monetization scheme of Dota 2 is perfect. A tiny percentage of players support the game for a huge amount of F2P/Low value players. This is good for everyone, because the death of a multiplayer game in 2017 is wait times, and not having skill based matchmaking. Single player/psuedo multiplayer are another discussion, but for games that are full pvp this is the best.

• 1Like

Cybsled

If they start to sell ghillie suits, then it is p2w.

The only possible p2w aspect of this would be if they sold items that camo better than other items in the game. Most of the shit they are selling makes you stand out like a sore thumb. Although apparently the items are unisex, so expect to see skirts sell well and people putting them on their guy characters lol