Playstation 5

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It sucks to hear that about Bloodborne. You have to think they'll release a remaster for it eventually.

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
from that ACG guy
Some initial thoughts on the consoles back and forth.

My ps5 review will come prior to launch but after Valhalla due to the console review for Xbox showing that peeps dont watch my channel for that lol

Thoughts
Exclusives are really in a terrible state. Basically its Dead Souls versus...Falconeer.

Speed and loading...
strangly Xbox by a huge margin. Strangely almost all load times for all games are faster on Xbox(this confused me so much I retested a ton but saw that everyone else saw the same

Backwards compat.
Xbox wins though some games are great on PS5 as well I did run into some that didn't work on PS5 or had glitches. But both do great with Gamepass being the true winner for people PS5 in this case was smart go with lower resolution cause a couple titles hit like 56-to 60 on XBox at native and 60 at PS5 with lower res. UI Neither are amazing

Extras. Hands down Xbox. Right now PS5 doesn't support external cold storage doesnt have any certified NVME at all, and outputs all games in psudeo HDR which looks terrible at times on none HDR titles. No you can't turn it off.

Controller. Xbox. PS5 controller is amazing but those fucks need to understand if you CAN shake you don't need to right away.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Extras. Hands down Xbox. Right now PS5 doesn't support external cold storage doesnt have any certified NVME at all, and outputs all games in psudeo HDR which looks terrible at times on none HDR titles. No you can't turn it off.

That sounds terrible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems Sony is launching with a lot of shit just wrong and to be fixed later. No compatible SSDs(granted that's partly not their fault since there's just not many to test atm on the market but still), can't transfer PS5 games to hard drives(?), can't use the save state resume thing(to be patched later apparently), backward compatibility seems to have large issues with actually using the SSD speeds(games have more or less success but a lot have very marginal load times decreases compared to HDD which is somewhat baffling), just a bit of a shitshow all around. I'm sure they'll patch a bunch of that shit in in the next 6months or whatever but it feels half assed as fuck.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Some interesting comparisons between the BC of each console.

They also seemed less critical of the weird always-on HDR of the PS5 too, even noting a positive side effect of having it work that way--black frame insertion is great for reducing motion blur on TVs that implement it well, but hardly anyone ever uses the feature because it makes the picture much dimmer and the forced HDR counteracts that problem for the most part. Definitely something worth testing once the PS5 is out.

spronk

FPS noob
da fuq
EmJeBhlX0AUPqWZ.jpeg

i'm hyped for both but man a lot of the PS5 sounds half baked, like not being able to archive PS5 games (gotta delete em), no external SSD support at launch, controller battery, PSVR support for PS5 games (none; if you want Hitman 3 VR you have to install the PS4 version!)

Vorph

Even the stuff people are raving about the DualSense for sounds terrible to me too. Pretty sure I'm going to be using my Series X for everything that isn't a Sony exclusive just to avoid all that shit. And when I play BC games it will be with a DS4 because the back buttons trump these new gimmicks.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I saw in a video that was showing setting that haptic feedback and adaptive trigger each have setting of Strong, Weak, None...with Strong being the default option.

People are raving about it in Astro, but don't seem impressed in Spider-Man.

I think it might be fun in some games, like I said before I think Death Stranding would be the perfect type of game for it, but more often than not it will feel like an annoying gimmick.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like the touchpad, could be really cool but can't think of but a few titles it was some cool thing outside of just another button that's way to big

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Add to that the 3D audio debacle. Only available for pulse headset and headsets you plus into the controller with good solid people like myself with a built out Atmos system get screwed because “we’ll patch that later”.

If MS had the exclusives Sony would get their ass kicked in right now.

Vorph

Yeah, I guess Atmos users are out of luck. The PS5 will support normal 7.1 surround setups just like the PS4 does but LPCM can't carry the extra metadata needed for Atmos.

There's really not much in the way of exclusives worth talking about yet (basically ridiculously overpriced Spider-Man DLC + Demon's Souls vs. Yakuza Like a Dragon) so hopefully MS kicks Sony's ass on all the multiplats coming out over the next few months. I certainly don't see a reason to play any of them on my PS5 over Series X (or PC in the case of Ubisoft stuff).

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Kotaku reviewer said it took him under 20 hours to 100% Spider-Man:Miles Morales, and he thinks the main story could have been done in 10-12 hours. Not really great for $50, but not awful either...I mean there’s a few games at full price that barely have that.

That said, as much as I enjoyed the original game, there’s a few things I want to play first so maybe it’ll be on sale by the time I get to it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Base Ghost of Tsushima on ps5 runs at rock solid 60fps, sadly Bloodborne does not.

I was so looking forward to an enhanced Bloodborne replay pretty much right away on PS5. Oh well. Anyone know if God of War gets a boost?

Ghost and Souls 3 getting boosts is good enough because I still haven't played either and they're top of the list. Between those, God of War, and Cyberpunk, I'll mostly be playing PS4 games on this for a while after I finish Demon's Souls.

My pre-PS5 retro game run is going well. Got Lollipop Chainsaw down, The Messenger is about half-done, Dead Space 2 has some decent progress. With 5 days left, might not have time for BoF: Dragon Quarter unless it's as short as I've heard.

spronk

FPS noob
Kotaku reviewer said it took him under 20 hours to 100% Spider-Man:Miles Morales, and he thinks the main story could have been done in 10-12 hours. Not really great for $50, but not awful either...I mean there’s a few games at full price that barely have that.

That said, as much as I enjoyed the original game, there’s a few things I want to play first so maybe it’ll be on sale by the time I get to it.

yeah, thats me too. the original game apparently took max 20 hours to complete as well although i think i took a LOT longer to platinum.

i'll just wait until ultimate edition on PS5 is 50%+ off, i doubt it'll be that long. maybe even their post xmas sale

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Question for anyone who has been keeping up on the console wars. Aside from exclusives which system is the better buy?